overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4399   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HungChad (13) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - OCT 11, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2006 Bottled 6/2005. While this is far from my first beer tasting, this is my first rating. My wife and I even went so far as to purchase a set of Chimay glasses to start things off right. Yeah, I know! Anyway, I was reasonably impressed, but not blown away by this beer. The aroma is very yeasty/doughy with some sweet odors and a bit of apple and citrus (lime/lemon). The head was fairly small and died off quickly - leaving a somewhat unattractive brown foam. While this was a bit disappointing, the overall appearance was very nice - like deep reddish brown shoe leather. At first I found the carbonation to be overly strong for my taste buds, but found this beer improved greatly after sitting in the glass for about ten minutes. Taste is fairly alcoholic and creamy. Overall, a very nice beer. (Addendum - after this rating, I had the opportunity to drink a ten year old Chimay Blue - Much, Much better - more like a 4.5)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - OCT 10, 2005
Bottled. Not shy on carbonation! This beer pours an active, murky brown color with red hues. The head is tan and bubbly. The aroma is yeast and raisins. Dark fruit flavors mix with yeast and caramel flavors that all compete with the alcohol warmth to find a place on your palate. This glass is just too carbonated for me. Other than that this is a pretty nice beer though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CampbellWilson (533) - SCOTLAND - OCT 10, 2005
750ml bottle from Peckham’s. Dark brown with rocky beige head. Aroma of malt, chocolate, raisin, yeast, spice, alcohol. Firm mouthefeel, alcohol well masked. A good beer, but it just doesn’t have the magic it once did, (for me anyway).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hellomynameis (876) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - OCT 8, 2005
Plum and mild alcohol nose, dark almost black with a large head that dissolved into a nice thin layer on top. Malty and sweet with a taste of plums with a kind of grape like bitterness that I will compare to some of the red wines I have tasted. Certianly enjoyable. Though I’m not sure I would make this a regular item in my fridge.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
AndrewM (126) - Waco (Buckle of the Bible Belt), Texas, USA - OCT 8, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 24, 2005 75 CL bottle. Pours cola brown with a thin tan head. Mild aroma of raisin / plum. Flavor is similar. Palate has a nice creamy bubbly feel. One wants to swish it around the toungue for the taste buds to have a full swim. A nice drink. (Updating my rating) Dropping this down to sub-4. Thinking about it, I’ve enjoyed beers more than this one. Especially considering the price (most expensive beer next to Deus at my local store).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Marko (4268) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - OCT 7, 2005
0.33l bottle / Chimay tulip glass at Tolkien’s House, Zagreb.
Finally found it..... Poured a very small ochre thick head, and a completely misty dark brown colour, impressive, but not a 5 in my opinion. The nose was nice, raisins, plums, alcohol. Very complex taste. Nice plummy fruitiness giving way to a fine underlying lemony sourness forming in the middle a taste reminiscent of forest fruits, like forest strawberry. I’d probably say it tasted like port with a sourish background, but I’ve never tasted port so I wouldn’t know (duh), and the best I can explain it as prosecco-but-not-as-sweet-with-a-sour-background. So there you go. Ah, right, aftertaste. Not much hops present, but they aren’t really needed here. Malty aftertaste that feels at times slightly odd, similar to what you get when sucking a peach seed (faint though).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
UnsofistaCat (239) - Garden City, Michigan, USA - OCT 6, 2005
UPDATED: APR 14, 2006 Bottle Date: May 2004. Too young? Hell if I know. Perfect head, perfect look. Brown sugar color. My lack of creative brains and taste forces me to use the same adjectives as I do with all Trappists….moldy cheese taste, slight oak, slight wine. Its very delicious on the front side. On the back side is where the rookie age may of hurt this one a bit. Little thin on the swallow. Perfect carbonation. I like its lower alcohol cousins a bit better.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mmanthe (12) - Clemson, South Carolina, USA - OCT 3, 2005
Another nearly perfect belgian. i drank this everyday when i lived in belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
yalnikim (800) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 29, 2005
Tasted 30/09/2005. 330ml bottle at Hummingbird. Dark brown offering with an off-white, creamy, head. Strong lacing. Aroma is an absolute stunner - sweetness hints at port, on the very first sniff, but then turns out to be more like a rich, whisky-drenched, fruit cake. Yeasty, fruity, caramelised, alcohol-laden. Flavour is mostly sweet with more dryness, than real bitterness. The medium-mouthfeel and soft carbonation is very smooth. A classy beer for either contemplative reflection or jubilation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lagermonkey (725) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - SEP 29, 2005
From the 750ml bottle Pours an opaque nut brown with a thin creamy tan head. Sheets of lace. Smells of caramel, molasses. Fruity plum aromas. Earthy, bready, grainy. Tastes has lots of oakiness. Hints of vanilla. Molasses. Rich malt. Bready. Bitter finish. Rich in the mouth. A decent sipper but somehow it doesn’t all come together. Aroma is magnificent but taste can’t live up to it. I have to say I like the White and the Red better.