overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 3938   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

chimayman (4) - USA - NOV 8, 2003 does not count
Deep brown, but don't let the darkness fool you. Every swallow you take, the smoother it gets! This is something that you drink not too cold, let it sit out for 20 minutes or so to warm up. My favorite Belgian ale!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Syd (920) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - NOV 8, 2003
Bottle pours a deep dark hazy brown with an off white head and lace. When looking into the glass, I notice lots of bubbles racing to the surface in the dark beer. The aroma is quite sweet and sherry like. The flavor is malty sweet with some dried fruit and a fairly dry finish. Alcohol is well hidden. The palate is too carbonated. Overall, this one is OK I guess. It really improves as it approaches room temperature.

PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - NOV 7, 2003
very nice dark belgian ale with hints of roasted malt,very tasty robust flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - NOV 3, 2003
Color is a deep dark opaquely russet ruby color with a very tall off-white fluffy head, almost laughable and too big, took three separate times to pour it from the 11.2 oz. bottle into my Delirium Tremens goblet glass as the head just kept getting in the way, ridiculous head, let me get at it already. Nose is dull and kinda light, not much going on besides some light lemon peel citrus and yeast, a touch smokey and meaty upon bigger wiffs. Taste is short lived and a bit boring, complexity is not very forthcoming from this offering. Very dull citrus of melon husk and majorly dulled lemon and peels, lightly sweet malts and subdued spicy yeast with some strange uneven texture that I didn't care for all that much. Feel is medium bodied with a weird texture I just couldn't get past. Where's the smooth? Where's the creamy? Blah, boring, yuk. Not impressed. The Chimay Red was much better. I'm not sure if I have a bad bottle or what, but I've been saving this bottle, plus a few others for nearly 4 months hoping a bit of aging would make for an interesting session, but nope. I guess I'll be letting those sit alot longer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mattj (10) - USA - NOV 3, 2003
Thankfully this is readily available in town. It's my trappist refuge since I can seem to get my hands on much westy12.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
dobb1392 (36) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - NOV 1, 2003
Most of you already have your opinions set on this one, but I'd have to say that this one was great but a little fizzy. Once in my mouth the carbonation took over. The taste going down was kind of salty also. The alcohol is covered pretty well. If this beer wasn't so expensive I'd drink it again, I'll probably make it a special occasion beer like tonight when the Sooners killed OSU 52-9! Boomer!

BeanDip (117) - Florida, USA - OCT 30, 2003
Well, the cork exploded out of the bottle, ricocheted off the ceiling and landed right in the trash can. St. Bernardus ABT 12 has totally warped my impressions of many dark Belgians, but this one is still impressive none the less. Loads of carbonation. Spice on the tongue is what hits me the most. Mild hop caress on the dry finish. It has all of those typical Belgian characterisitcs of dried fruits, flowers, spice, candy sugar or caramel. The anise spice and flowers really come alive on the finish. I could still drink it anytime, anywhere.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
djmcfar (64) - Ixonia, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 27, 2003
absolutely fantasic - hard to believe the extra bonus of 9% - but after having 2 of them (champagne size) I sure beleive it :)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ztrvz (218) - st paul, Minnesota, USA - OCT 27, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2003 i didn't drink this in the proper glass, so shoot me in the ass. not as good as i expected. faint yeasty, flowery aroma. very carbonated. the flavors are subtle. initially bitter, followed by a faint sweet maltiness. i expected more. maybe my taste buds are tainted by all the damn cigarettes i smoke. not worth the 10 bucks i paid.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Silphium (3158) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - OCT 22, 2003
Not coming up with anything outstanding here. To me, this is just another run-of-the-mill Belgian. Pours dark red-brown, with overflowing carbonation (at first) that luckily subsided in short time to a slight tan head. Vinous notes on the aroma, as well as apple cider. Flavor was very similar, with yeast esters evident in the delicate banana flavors, which were complimented by strong vinous flavors and apple cider. Some dark fruit in the mix as well. Mouthfeel is too highly carbonated. I'm not especially fond of this beer.