overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4632   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
golemjk (5) - Carrollton, Georgia, USA - JUN 1, 2006 does not count
This is a great looking beer. If you are looking for a beer that you can just sit down and throw back than leave this beer alone. It is a beer to savour and enjoy. I loved it. The only thing I don’t like is the strong alcohol taste it leaves on your palate. This is easily forgotten though because the beer is a masterpiece that will never let you down.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
eaglefan538 (3017) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JUN 1, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 4, 2008 Fantastic brown color with a modest head that dissipated while drinking. Lacing lasted throughout and the sediments were visible with each tilt of the glass. Slight citrus and plum flavoring and yeasty odor with a decent amount of sugar. A nice beer. (Re-rated in Aug’05 and Oct ’05, with an upward bump on the latter. Steady rating and experience in 8/07, nice spice and dark fruit interplay, rich, enjoyable.) Re-rate in 7/08: Lots of nice flavors still going on, dark plumby fruits the feature, but there was a corn aspect that was noticeable and distracting. I will not knock the rating yet, but if I get that flavor again, this thing is getting knocked down.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
tenghave (404) - Taastrup, DENMARK - MAY 29, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2007 Øl fået til Ølentusiasternes festival 2006. Bedømmelsen kan derfor være skæv pga. mængden. + Fået hos søster + Fået til julefrokost + fået hjemme Rød-brun øl som er ufiltreret. Smagen er typisk kloster-øl, dog ikke så tung, som forventet. Duften ?? Alcohollen er tydelig, og der er en bitter fornemmelse efterfølgende

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jake65 (3316) - Meridian, Idaho, USA - MAY 26, 2006
Dark copper, brown pour with a frothy head. Nice smooth maltiness with floral tones, caramels and citrus tones as well. Delightfully easy to drink.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - MAY 26, 2006
I have not been able to find this stuff in Toronto for a while but I remember that it was the first trappist ale that I had ever tried, and I enjoyed it. My wife also enjoyed it and she is not a beer drinker. It was very malty and had the taste of rasins. Would definitly buy it again if I could find it

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
gigantor (4) - USA - MAY 25, 2006 does not count
Large head, deep brown body. Smells of yeast and raisins. Tastes of yeast, roasted malt, and alcohol. The bleue is good for a more balanced and complex taste, but try the blanche for its dry simplicity and bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
swiseman (472) - Fredericton, New Brunswick, CANADA - MAY 23, 2006
For some reason, I was a bit disappointed by this one. I love Chimay Red, but I found the roasted flavours and alcohol taste a bit too overpowering in the Blue. However, I have never seen a beer with such a thick, rich head which is evidence of its quality. Nevertheless, I think I will stick to the more mellow Belgians.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
molassesfan (202) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - MAY 22, 2006
From my notes, August ’05. My first beer over 6%. Nice brown color, ridiculously big head. Fruity aroma with hints of yeast. Nice smooth taste, alcohol slightly palpable. Malt flavors as well as florals and esters. Too complex for words, an amazing beer. Should be even better with cellaring.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
loseratheart (110) - USA - MAY 22, 2006
Distinct yeasty taste with floral palate. Ended up pouring it the wrong way the first time, second time way better. Great, but not the best Trappist I’ve had (Rochefort 10), distinct taste. Nice off-white head. Hints of roasted malts. Very well rounded.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
reebtogi (5471) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - MAY 20, 2006
A nice brown colour with a hint of red. Aroma fruity with a heavy yeast. Tastes a little yeasty as well with a good maltiness. Heavy carbonation as well. I did enjoy this beer, but it is not one of the best Trappist Ales I have tried.