overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4545   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JAN 26, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2007 Pours a deep waxy mahogany brown color w/ a full, semi creamy froth that recedes slowly to a clumpy lace. Aroma of rock candy, dried fruit and liver. Full nectar w/ ample residual effers. Mouthfeel is a bit clumsy w/ beachball effers clanging toether. Sweetnes factor is moderate w/ woodsy flavors, tobacco, ripe plums, slight rootbeer, dusty granite. Finish is long and bittered w/ peach pit. Very warming w moderate flavors of alcohol.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Bilzmoude (19) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - JAN 25, 2006
Smells great! Belgin, dubbel-style aroma... a fruity (apple?) malt smell. Head is thick and creamy. Color is brown and murky. Smooth, cherry flavors with a dry, alcahol aftertaste. Tingles the palate. I like it... I don’t think I can drink this every day, but it is definately good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Quixote18 (236) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - JAN 25, 2006
Deep hazy brown color and a foamy, long-lasting cream color head. The aroma was yeasty with some mellow malts. The aroma just screamed "Belgian" to me. I had a very difficult time deciphering the flavor...I think my palate was a little overworked then night. I’ll have to rerate later. I sampled this alongside the Red Cap, and needless to say, the Blue is much bolder. A little alcohol twinge in the finish, but still a very smooth beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Quevillon (2748) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 25, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 9, 2007 Ah les trappists, ils sont si méchants avec nous pour produir une délice comme ça. Un arome légé de fleur, une saveur délicieuse de malt roti. Un vrai péché. Et pour dire que c’est des catholiques qui font ça.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - JAN 24, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2008 While I must say spending $5.00 for a single bottle of beer is not something I do with regularity, I did so because of the fact this beer was Top 5 on many lists and it’s the only one on the list I had access to. So I headed up to BevMo with my best friend (who got a ticket on the way there HAH!), plunked down my money, took it home let it stay nice and cool in the garage overnight and opened it the next day. A HUGE head, I’m talking seriously HUGE. A wonderful aroma of raisins, dates, plums and a spiciness. The taste had a nice roastiness flavor, with nutmeg and a peppery flavor. It had some teeth on it with a 9% ABV, so you could taste that also, which put me off a bit (reminded me of this really crappy French beer I once had). While this was an excellent dark ale, I would not say it belongs in the Top 5 on these lists. Too expensive for what little you get and didn’t blow me away like I was hoping.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MacDaddyOJake (274) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JAN 23, 2006
Very deep, dark brown color with an average sized beige head. Floral hops and a touch of roasted malts present in the aroma as well as the taste. Very malty taste, quite good. Nice palate, good aftertaste, but it was just a fraction of a point less than the Red I think. A very delicious beer, but I think I’ll go to the Red over this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TomDecapolis (4618) - Milton, Delaware, USA - JAN 22, 2006
Pours a hazy darker brown with a large size bubbly head. Aroma of dark fruits, belgian yeast, candy sugars. Flavors of the same with some roasted malts and some light citrus that I didn’t really pick up in the aroma. Lively on the tongue. A lot going on in the aroma and flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
toccata (70) - grembergen, BELGIUM - JAN 22, 2006
Deep brown beer with creamy beige foam. Aroma is rich, slight burned, spicey and very malty. Taste is very deep and overpowering. It has an exotic caracter and a great afthertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mike mcneil (660) - St Augustine, Florida, USA - JAN 22, 2006
750ml. bottle. Exits the bottle a muddy dark brown color producing a tight, thick, durable off-white head. Rich, satisfying aromas of ripe fruits, raisin, fig, caramel malts and yeast emminate from the chalice. The mouthfeel and palate is incredibly silky smooth, creamy and full. An insanely rich and complex flavor profile of dark dried fruits, caramel candy, yeast rolls and a bit of spiciness reinforces the classiness of this respected ale. Finishes with a nice little blast of alcoholic warmth to tame any residual sweetness. A classic!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
BitchesBrew (715) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 21, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 22, 2006 [11.2 oz bottle] Pours a beautiful cloudy, dark brown color. Head is a rocky white that seems to evolve as it travels down the glass. Aroma is excellent- yeast, and a little bit of fruit sweetness. Flavors are huge- nice roasted malts and a bit of alcohol warmth. This beer is excellent.