overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4303   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jus10cider82 (67) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - FEB 13, 2005
(1pt 9.4 fl oz.) Huge rollin head that sits atop a hazy brown pour. Smells slighty of malt and very ripe fruit. Wow. A bubbly full mouhfeel. A very nice well balanced taste. I really enjoyed just looking at this one produce a wonderful full lacing and letting it warm. Although alcohol was not present at the beginning of bottle it was rather obvious later. I think I’ll run out and pick up the rest of the Chimay line. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 12, 2005
Poured a dark brown with loads of gorgeous, creamy tan head that thinned but never actually left. Spice aroma, flavor with some sweetness and malts making up the major parts. Just a quality beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
stouby (3860) - Holbæk, DENMARK - FEB 11, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2005 Bottle, at home, vintage 2002 & 2004. Dark brown with light brown head. Nice lacings. Aroma and flavor of malt (brown sugar) and light hops (resin). Sweet with a well balanced bitterness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
shameusburp (171) - Virginia, USA - FEB 10, 2005
Nice body and appearance. Fruity and malty to the end. Good example of Belgian Strong.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
emotv (353) - Izmir, TURKEY - FEB 9, 2005
Dark brown colour.Nice head,Malty taste dry and nice finish.Great trapipistes beer.Very long after taste.Bit over rated maybe because of name.I tried a 2004 bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Norton (329) - Southside, Richmond, Virginia, USA - FEB 7, 2005
Bottle. Immense crackly off-white head upon pouring. Most of head stays for duration. Deep brown color with dark orange highlights when held up to light. Dominating malt presence counters alcohol well. Lively carbonation. Nice roasted nut flavor. Good stuff but possibly overrated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jan Primus (160) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 6, 2005
Small bottle poured into Chimay chalice. Great looking beer, reddish brown with generous head. Has strong/sweet flavour with fruits and malts and very fizzy feel and alcohol has just the right amount of presence...goes great with many types of cheese and I’ve successfully introduced many people to real beer with this. A staple of my life, highly recommneded to all. Cheers to the LCBO for bring in a good supply for Christmas season.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - FEB 5, 2005
Pours a dark chestnut in color with a nice creamy mocha head. Aroma is fruity and yeasty. As I drink it, the carbonation is what strikes me the most. It is so light and fizzy the beer seems to disapear in my mouth before I get to swallow it. Flavor is not overly sweet but leans that way with a strong malt note. Finish is clean and light. Amazingly little alcohol flavor. Now I am sorry I got the little bottle. This is an interesting beer and maybe I need to try more of these Belgians to get some perspective.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mullo (102) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - FEB 5, 2005
This was only the second bottle of chimay I have had - the first time I rated it my description was inadequate. However, I found that the first time there seemed to be much more aroma - I think this time the aroma seemd trapped under the generous lasting head I poured. Anyway... What a drop - such a multitude of flavours throughout the whole sipping and swallowing process. Starts off with a rich fruity, malty and typical ale fruitiness intensity - so many different flavours come out. Followed by a wallowing progression of the hops transgression. The hops blend (I assume more than one type is used) is blended excellently, and so smoothly mixed with the malts used. Then lastly, the aftertaste, which comprises of sweet maltiness, and not overly bitter hoppiness, presented in a package which itself gives off some metallicness, astringence and bitterenss. This beer is so complex in flavour, yet so well balanced. Incredible. Give me the recipe! Or, more importantly, give me another! The best beer I have ever tasted.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - FEB 4, 2005
It’s been a long time since I’ve given this a try. Poured an opaque brown with an off white fluffy head. The aroma was lite with spice (clove?, cardamom?) and fruit (banana?). I also detected a bit of hops. The flavor changed, as you might guess, as the brew warmed. This brew had the flavors of slightly sweet raison with spices such as ginger and cinnamon. The body was nice with a bubbly fizz on the front and a creamy finish with a bit-o-hops. Good stuff. I bet this ages great!