Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mnurda (1207) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - SEP 20, 2005
Not sure what cloying mans, but I know that this beer was too strong for me. It had quite a "bite" to iy and overwhlemed me. I almost didn’t finish it, but then managed to appreciated the strength. I am sure it is a great beer but not for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MammothMan (8) - Dallas, Texas, USA - SEP 19, 2005 does not count
This ale has as much flavor as any I have tried. The only problem is the taste is one that is not particularly interesting to me. The body is also quite viscous for an ale and can be cloying. This is such an interesting beer that I don’t hesitate recommending it; it’s simply not within my personal taste perameters.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
breichow (17) - USA - SEP 18, 2005
Bottle. Nice deep color with good head. Highly carbonated at first, but lessened as beer sat (and warmed). Very smooth for such a strong brew. Tastes of malt, clove, and a hint of bananas on the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Snorky (5) - Paris, FRANCE - SEP 17, 2005 does not count
UPDATED: SEP 28, 2005 Another trappist beer....but one of the best I have ever tried ! I actually prefer the one from rochefort, but this one is really just behind...Some strong aroma. The appearance looks really atractive... If you have the possibilty to try this one or the "grande reserve one", which is a "millésime", you’re a lucky man !

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hazmatt (363) - Virginia, USA - SEP 15, 2005
Bottle. Nice sweet aroma with hints of apple. Copious head with good retention. A strong flavor with malty tastes, cloves, banana, yeasty, but not overwhelming alcohol tastes, full bodied and flavored. Quite warming and relaxing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lusitania (10) - Texas, USA - SEP 15, 2005
Excellent beer, the thing I love the most is that non-beer drinkers enjoy it thoroughly. For a beer with such a high alcohol content it has a very subdued alcohol taste. Somewhat of a clove taste in the palate. Wonderful beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ryan (3186) - Beltsville, Maryland, USA - SEP 9, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2010 pours an opaque, dark brown with a creme colored head. Aroma is heavy with malt and yeast. Flavor is loaded with sweet malt and beer is well hopped. The 9% alcohol is hidden in the sweetness. Finishes with a taste of ripe bananas, especially after the beer warms a little.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SB (334) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 8, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 21, 2005 Poured brown with a little tan head that lasted. I got the sense it is highly carbonated, but well balanced. Taste is nice and complex with a lasting fruity after taste. It wasn’t like anything I’ve tasted before and I loved it. Fruity, vanilla. Chimay Blue is very drinkable and very smooth. I like!!!

RE-RATED: Due to sampling more of the style/Re-tasting the beer

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
rocfort (7) - Rome, ITALY - SEP 7, 2005 does not count
Dark brown with a tan foam. Fruity, yeasty with a dark caramel and vanilla finish. Maybe not the best Trappiste but very accessible.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
DrnkMcDermott (2922) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - SEP 6, 2005
33 cl. Bottle. Yeasty, sugary smell upon opening, almost like an adjunct, though I know it’s a finishing sugar. Deep brown color. Hmm, yeah, complex, all right. Dry at first, then a bit of currant. Very heady alcohol after awhile, and always with that extra zest of finishing yeast.
And now I join the dozens, if not hundreds of RBians who had red, white and blue for 75% of all of Chimay’s brews.