overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4633   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheGrandMaster (2335) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - MAR 12, 2006
Poured from the bottle, ruby red with a frothy head that subsided quickly. An alcoholic cherry aroma. Alcohol and fruit again in the flavour, combined with a carbonated mouth feel and a strong tangy and sour finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
rsmeds (228) - Turku, FINLAND - MAR 11, 2006
Bottle.
Pours a cloudy, very dark brown.
Fruity alcoholic aroma and flavor.
Quite gassy.
Frankly, I’ve always found chimay somewhat lacking compared to its reputation. A good belgian strong ale certainly, but I’ve definitely had better. Although I understand that the flavor can vary quite a bit (what with the bottle fermentation and so on), so perhaps I’ve simply been out of luck.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerscout (298) - New Windsor, New York, USA - MAR 10, 2006
Bottle. Pours a dark brown, with a brief offwhite head. Pleasant aroma - spicy and fruity, with plum, raisin, and floral. Flavor is even better, with spices, fruit, including plum, raisin, caramel, and roasty malt. I had the pleasure of having this in Belgium first, during my stay in Iper. In a small restaurant, I had ordered what became a wonderful meal of steak and a bucket of Belgian fries. The Chimay was recommended by my friend. Served with the Chimay chalice glass, it was really good. So good, I ordered another, before I realized it was 9% ABV! Luckily, I was only a short walk away from the hotel...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sten (731) - Westerlo, BELGIUM - MAR 9, 2006
Very dark brown colour with a slightly brownish head. The taste is sweet and fruity with some hints of chocolate. It has a sweet and a bit fruity aroma. (Bottle 33cl, Bottle 75cl)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
smcd (366) - USA - MAR 8, 2006
A good beer. A strong beer. Something everyone should try. Rich, complex maltiness.

almankin (10) - Crowley, Texas, USA - MAR 8, 2006
My own personal opnion about this beer is that it has to be one of the best wines I mean beers I have ever tasted. I have read some of the other posts and have come to the conclusion that every bottle must be different. The bottle I tryed had a strong fruit aroma. The flavor was increadible, somewhat sweet and fruity. I could tell that there was a higher than average alcohol %, but it was on the level of a red wine. I will highly recommend this beer to all drinkers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mumpu (46) - USA - MAR 7, 2006
Pours dark brown with a faint white head, aroma of spices, sweet malty taste with undetectable hops, strong spiciness with a zesty finish, and a lot of carbonation. Nothing special -- Chimay Rouge has a much better flavor balance.

aenimopiate (176) - The United States of Texas, Texas, USA - MAR 4, 2006
I cannot possibly say enough good things about this beer. It has now become my favorite beer. The complexities are immessurable, and it hides the 9% alcohol well. I love this beer, and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to have great, great beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Paskal (146) - La Prairie, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 3, 2006
Bouteille-De couleur rougeatre et avec une mousse blanche épaisee, elle libère une forte odeur de malteet d’alcool. Un peut fruitée, elle réchauffe la gorge.--

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
mbeem (104) - New Hope, Alabama, USA - MAR 1, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2006 Oh my god, this was delicious!!! "Sex in a Glass". Pours a deep ruby color with a "1 finger" slightly off white head. Malty, yeasty nose. Smooth, incredibly drinkable beer! Very full and complex. Divine (sinful???)!!