overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4033   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jzzbassman (1507) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - NOV 12, 2003
Definitely in my top 10. Garnet colored, as complex as a good port and just seems to get better as you drink. I never get tired of this. Alcohol is well balanced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DrBeer (829) - Solna Stockholm, SWEDEN - NOV 12, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2005 Dark redbrown with firm but thin beige head. Fresh aroma with notes of cloves, cardboard, almonds, cherry pits, chocolate, apricots and spices. A bit hoppy. Round flavour with notes of chocolate, almonds and apples

Boutip (4642) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 11, 2003
Pourred a very dark brew with a huge withe fluffy head and small bubble coming on top. This one has less of the sweeter taste then the red and more roastiness. This beer also has a firm body and the alcohol taste is not too distinct. The spice are very complex. This one is also a classic and never can get enough of.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
wulfhere (217) - Billings, Montana, USA - NOV 11, 2003
Big off-white head of ultra-fine bubbles. A bit over carbonated, but that may be due to the long cellaring. This is my last bottle of Chimay (I bought a red, blue and Primiere), and I hope I like this one as well as I did the others. Nose is of yeast, bread, subtle clove and anise. complex, yet very delicate. The color is a deep brown/red. First taste gives hints of lemon, clove, anise and malt, but in such a complete, harmonious blend it's hard to tell one influence from another. It's a fairly big ale, but isn't overly alcoholic. I like the completeness of this ale--It's smooth, complex and filling without blowing me out of my chair.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
heemer77 (5096) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - NOV 10, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2006 Much better when I had this a few years ago. Very dark, cloudy color. Aroma is flowers, bread, cinnamon and some clove. The taste was strong with alcohol, a little peach and some cinnamon. Also notes of smoke and oak at the beginning. While still a very good beer, not incredible.

chimayman (4) - USA - NOV 8, 2003 does not count
Deep brown, but don't let the darkness fool you. Every swallow you take, the smoother it gets! This is something that you drink not too cold, let it sit out for 20 minutes or so to warm up. My favorite Belgian ale!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Syd (920) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - NOV 8, 2003
Bottle pours a deep dark hazy brown with an off white head and lace. When looking into the glass, I notice lots of bubbles racing to the surface in the dark beer. The aroma is quite sweet and sherry like. The flavor is malty sweet with some dried fruit and a fairly dry finish. Alcohol is well hidden. The palate is too carbonated. Overall, this one is OK I guess. It really improves as it approaches room temperature.

PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - NOV 7, 2003
very nice dark belgian ale with hints of roasted malt,very tasty robust flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - NOV 3, 2003
Color is a deep dark opaquely russet ruby color with a very tall off-white fluffy head, almost laughable and too big, took three separate times to pour it from the 11.2 oz. bottle into my Delirium Tremens goblet glass as the head just kept getting in the way, ridiculous head, let me get at it already. Nose is dull and kinda light, not much going on besides some light lemon peel citrus and yeast, a touch smokey and meaty upon bigger wiffs. Taste is short lived and a bit boring, complexity is not very forthcoming from this offering. Very dull citrus of melon husk and majorly dulled lemon and peels, lightly sweet malts and subdued spicy yeast with some strange uneven texture that I didn't care for all that much. Feel is medium bodied with a weird texture I just couldn't get past. Where's the smooth? Where's the creamy? Blah, boring, yuk. Not impressed. The Chimay Red was much better. I'm not sure if I have a bad bottle or what, but I've been saving this bottle, plus a few others for nearly 4 months hoping a bit of aging would make for an interesting session, but nope. I guess I'll be letting those sit alot longer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mattj (10) - USA - NOV 3, 2003
Thankfully this is readily available in town. It's my trappist refuge since I can seem to get my hands on much westy12.