overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4367   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 29, 2005
The strongest of the three this beer offers a strong floral aroma. Dry and more carbonated than the others this one is my least favorite of the three.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JDUB (178) - Venice Beach, California, USA - MAR 28, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2005 hazy amber with floral and citrus scent. Very nice palate and flavor. Commercial description is pretty accurate. Its really good, perhaps a little too much carbonation for its type. As good as it is, some places charge way too much for it. Buyer beware. Some places think they can charge anything for a chimay- which is because some idiots will pay anything for a reputable brew. I’ve seen the large 25.4 oz bottle sold for as little as USD 6.99 and as much as USD 14.99. Don’t be a fool!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
hawkshadow (107) - Rural Retreat, Virginia, USA - MAR 28, 2005
Champagne like. Fizzy, with lots of carbonation. Dry flavor, that’s perfumy and sweaty leather at the same time. Nice sipping brew. I’ll drink it again sometime.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
HopsformyHips (113) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - MAR 27, 2005
THIS IS MY 100th BEER!! Thank you thank you. You all have been so supportive...I would like to thank all the influences in my life to get me to this point. First of all I would like to thank God for making malt, barely, and monks. My college for showing me how NOT to drink beer, and most of all my dad (the esteemed kumite_56) for showing me the right way to enjoy beer and opeining up the vast and complex world of beer...and mostly his refridgerator to me. So yes, this was a good beer...Nice foamy beige head with lovely lacing (you know I love that lacing). Spicey floral hops, (dark) fruit but not citrus. Sweet carmelly malt backbone with a slight alcoholic flavor. A spicey peppery bitting finish at the end. Quite nice. The flavor demands a heavier palate than the Blue had. Keep this one on hand for a treat after long cold day. Cheers everyone.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - MAR 26, 2005
Poured a dark reddish amber with a big off white head. Fruity aroma of dark fruits, banana, some vinous character, light clove, and spices. Flavor is fruity, but not very sweet, and malty. Finsihes with spice and nice warming sensation. Medium bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BoomerSooner (17) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 25, 2005
Pretty good stuff has a lot of bite. Pours a dark brown. Pretty tasty. The Monks must know what they are doing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
can8ianben (1387) - State College, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 22, 2005
Nice creamy head with malty aroma with the pour. Used the chimay chalice glass which gave off a great dark sweet aroma. Some hoppy flavours finished off this dark sweet spicy brew. Very enjoyable and a nice hidden 9%. Probably best to serve it a little on the warmer side as the beer really explodes after a little warmth. It reminds me of a beer that I can’t put my finger on. Darker than I expected, but a great beer overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jehoo (1) - Dunkerque-Saint Omer, FRANCE - MAR 22, 2005 does not count
For me this beer has something incredible even if it’s not like it was ... I can’t describe it but that’s like a souvenir about my life in France. This dark bier, with a lot of different flavors, so many that is very difficult to explain all of them, the foam not really white not brown, may be cream will be the best to describe the color, arf ... I have just a word for that : tate it and you will never forget it !! nothing to compare to the most common bier in USA. So strong that three of them is enough for your night !!!(it’s a pity to drink three of them in the same night, you will taste only the first one ... ).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DucklyIII (8) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 21, 2005 does not count
Yummy Ale. 750ml bottle. My first Chimay ever, so this is the one that made me fall for Trappist Ales.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
gearbike (512) - West Bloomfield, Michigan, USA - MAR 20, 2005
1 pint corked bottle. fruity flavor. Has small bubbles almost like a champagne. Just a classic favorite light beer..