overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4197   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - JUN 28, 2004
Bought at a little grocery store in Paris....Need to get this one again...as was very unimpressed by the flavor, considering the ratings given this one. Dark Brown Coloring. White Head.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Zeswaft (1399) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 26, 2004
I don’t know anything about these Belgian beers. I know they are supposed to be the best in the world but I am still not convinced. Though this was better than the last one it was still just alright. It was as carbonated as a Coke. It tasted pretty much like a Paulaner but a little more alcohol like. $5 a 11 oz bottle was a rip, too. Oh yeah, it reminds a lot of Steel Reserve high gravity.

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
BrockLanders (774) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JUN 25, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2009 ** 6-27-04, ok, I had to visit this rating again. Yes, the experience wasn’t good, but the flavor wasn’t horrible. It just wasn’t as good as it should’ve been. Still disappointed.** ****Forced to endure this swill again at a birthday party. Is it possible it’s gotten worse?...alas tis’ true, what a joke this beer has become. ****recent price hike has me rating this lower....poor value, basically a huge sham.**** May 2005 rating...it just gets worse. Oh how the mighty have fallen. Disappointed is the best word to use here. Tim Webb reported the demise of this once fine ale in his beer guide last year, but I wasn’t convinced till this taste. To look at it you’d never know things had gone so bad. Taking a taste removes all doubt. I think Mr. Webb’s quote "...overtones of damp cardboard..." says it all. What complexity that was there before is all but gone. I lived in The Netherlands for three years and grew to love this jewel. All I can say is that the bottled stuff available in the US now is NOT worth the money---not even close. I remember this used to compare very well with Rochefort 10 and Westvleteren Abt. Those fine brews blow this one to smithereens. I’m sure it’s no coincidence that Chimay’s demise occurred just after they were bought out. I love Belgian ales, but you should stay clear of this one until they figure out how to get their old swagger back. A friend offered this up tonight.....it stinks just as bad in 2009. It actually might be worse.....simply awful.....the brewery that’s belching this crap out needs to be hit by a few Tomahawk missiles.......blow it to oblivion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Hugh (153) - Zillebeke, BELGIUM - JUN 25, 2004
Stil looks like the Chimay Blue I used to love, but all the complexity of old is missing. Is it no longer being matured for long enough by the brewery or is malt extract being used? Something is missing that I can’t put my finger on, but to me, this is now a very simple beer. Tried it next to a Rochefort 10, which might be why I’m so jaded, but it used to and should still stand this comparison. It doesn’t.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
foglemark (42) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - JUN 24, 2004
Creamy head and a cloudy body. Smells ignitingly sweet and soft. Creamy texture and lasting full, rich taste with hints of brown sugar.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUN 19, 2004
In my mind Chimay is theepitomy of Trappists. Deep copper in color with a porous, white head. Somewhat spicy on the nose with hints of fruit. Tangy/spicy on the palate, yet extremely elegant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
IndianaRed (2597) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JUN 19, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 28, 2004 Pours with a very strong head. the 12 oz bottle almost didnt fit in the pounder I had it in. The galss is half gone and there is still a layer of foam. Lacing is strong also Dk copper color. Aroma and flavor is quite unusual. Took me a few minutes to put my finger on it but I think it is a hint of cloves, or similar spice. Feel and drinkability is very good though. Smooth and silky. A highly rated brew that is not one of my favorites.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mds (2240) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 12, 2004
330mL 2003 bottle. Wow! This stuff blows me away. The aroma is fantastic, it’s hard to pull away from my nose. Floral, yeasty, malty...it’s just so wonderful. Flavour seems to be quite malty, but then it pretty much balances itself out. It’s quite thick and yeasty, super-smooth, and complex. 9% alcohol is completely masked as opposed to some other belgian strong ales. Awesome stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cigarsnbeer (146) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - JUN 10, 2004
I know I have to put a certain amount to words down, but I can sum up this beer in two words....MIND BLOWER! If you love Belgian strong ale, BUY IT and savour it!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
brownaler (378) - Topsail Beach, North Carolina, USA - JUN 9, 2004
This Belgian has a bit of roastiness to it along with the fruits and spices to it. Though it seems a bit flat, I still like it.