overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4415   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
Rib Eye (148) - USA - APR 6, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2007 As I near 100 ratings, I’m finally starting to explore the legenday Belgian and Trappist Ales. I’m finding it’s a style I like, but this Chimay will never cross my lips again. Delightful earthy aroma: Check; Gorgeous deep color and mountains of foamy head:Check; A tasty spicyfruitymaltybready flavor: Check (but don’t try it too cold - then it tastes like pennies); A suprisingly medium-bodied palate; Check; A hideous two-day case of Monk’s Revenge; Ch..wha...? Yep. What a glass and 2/3 (I finished my wife’s too) of this stuff did to my digestive track was UNBELIEVABLE. I have to guess it was the yeast. Anyway -- overall impression is cut in half because of the toxicity of whatever it was that gave me such godawful cramps and the ensuing ejectiva that went on until Sunday at Noon. (I drank it on a Friday night). Also, even in my very limited experiecnce with the style I already know that there are better and cheaper examples, even if they are American brews (see:Allagash)

Texans0743 (5) - Sugar Land, Texas, USA - APR 5, 2005 does not count
UPDATED: APR 6, 2005 Simply unbelievable. Never had any beer this good, and doubt I ever will. It is definately worth $10 a bottle. Just wish I had enough money to drink it every day. Hell, maybe I’ll move to Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - APR 3, 2005
UPDATED: APR 12, 2005 Aroma of freshly baked cinnamon raisin bread. Bronze color when held up to light, with a frothy beige head. Exceptional mouthfeel, coating the palate with a taste of the raisin bread. Alcohol is hidden perfectly. Finishes with a clean aftertaste, leaving the drinker wanting another chalice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 2, 2005
Bottle. My buddy Dave decided that I finally had to try this one. It turned out to be just what I had guessed it would be... a pretty nice beer that has become overrated because it is now so mass produced. Pours a nice dark plum color with hints of ruby. Small particles float for a bit and sink to the bottom. Big head, but not creamy and not very long lasting. Nose is sweet, tart and sour with a great nose of Belgian yeast. Taste is nice... a little yeast, a little maltiness, but a little too dry for my tastes. It certainly is a good solid beer, but not even up to par with some American Belgian Ales. Not much body and a good solid medium carbonation that fits the style well. Well above average, but not an unbelievable beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mklein818 (172) - Etterbeek, Virginia, BELGIUM - APR 1, 2005
Chimay is overrated in my book. Sure, it’s ok--particularly if it’s the only Belgian on the menu. But the depth of flavor really isn’t there--it’s a bit too yeasty, too hoppy and not deep enough in the sweet/caramel side of the spectrum.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - MAR 31, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2005 Aroma of banana and bubblegum is the first that comes to mind. Somewhat roasty with yeast showing quite a bit as well on the tongue. Slight alcohol tinge. Nice indeed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SayNoToCoors (65) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - MAR 31, 2005
Pretty damn good! This is probably the best of the three available Chimay ales. pours a nice dark amber hue with good bubble-gum-ish fruity flavors. This was my first trappist ale! glad I tried it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
skisangelo (60) - Collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 31, 2005
This poured a dark amber, nice thick head, that diminished, but left rocky peaks all the way down, smell was fruity and complex. The taste is more like drinking Champagne due to the carbonation. Not my favorite of the Chimay line, but still a decent beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
swirl (267) - collingswood, New Jersey, USA - MAR 29, 2005
The strongest of the three this beer offers a strong floral aroma. Dry and more carbonated than the others this one is my least favorite of the three.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
JDUB (178) - Venice Beach, California, USA - MAR 28, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 16, 2005 hazy amber with floral and citrus scent. Very nice palate and flavor. Commercial description is pretty accurate. Its really good, perhaps a little too much carbonation for its type. As good as it is, some places charge way too much for it. Buyer beware. Some places think they can charge anything for a chimay- which is because some idiots will pay anything for a reputable brew. I’ve seen the large 25.4 oz bottle sold for as little as USD 6.99 and as much as USD 14.99. Don’t be a fool!