overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4439   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
DonMagi (5595) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - APR 16, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2008 Another excellent trappist ale, though maybe not as complex as others, has excellent alround body and flavour aroma. A strong flavour of wheat off of this, which is refreshing, as well as the spicey lightly fruity taste. One to try again defo. Rating for a second time: Got a magnium and cellered for 3 months. OMG this takes things to a whole new level probabl;y the best beer iv ever ever tasted. 100% goodness alround. so fruity and juicey and refreshing and just amazing. I regularly get chimay as its one of the best beers we can get is scotland, however while at the kulminator, i got a 1985 bottle, as that was the year i was born on. This again reinforces my high rating as this beer is just alround goodness, its always going to be a safe bet and u can drink about 10 of them which cant be said for other belgiun strong fellows. RERATE: Had one last night as a finisher offer, 2007 bottle thats been settlign in my room for a good few months, served at perfect cellar temp. Bottle opens and as iv found with recent bottle gushes everywhere, thankfully glass at hand, however all of the sediment is now stirred up and pours an ugly brown with many floating particals. Aroma is fruity, inky character, sweet with alc present. Taste isnt very plesnt at all, fruity, yeasty, ink again, grainy, aghh not for the first time in 6 months iv decided this beer is no longer hot in any way, older aged vertions, yea unbeatable on thier day but this chap has offically lost it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
kyuss (21) - BELGIUM - APR 12, 2005
Not my cup of tea. A great dark beer but pitty I don’t like dark beers that much. I do like the aroma thoug, a bit fruity.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
iambeer (255) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 9, 2005
The nose is quite unique, a fuit? no wait, spices? ah.. another sip, its sailing down my throat. Excellant.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Juelze (1141) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - APR 7, 2005
Bottle. At first smell I noticed hints of clove, banana, and yeast. Beer is a dark ruby red/brown that is cloudy. Pours a thick head that diminishes into about a 1/4" head. Tastes pretty damn good. I started to wonder why people liked trappist ales until I had this one. Refreshing for a beer that is 9%. Hints of banana and clove finishing with a bit of malt. The alcohol is apparent after the tastes hit you. Overall this is an excellent beer.!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
Rib Eye (148) - USA - APR 6, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 31, 2007 As I near 100 ratings, I’m finally starting to explore the legenday Belgian and Trappist Ales. I’m finding it’s a style I like, but this Chimay will never cross my lips again. Delightful earthy aroma: Check; Gorgeous deep color and mountains of foamy head:Check; A tasty spicyfruitymaltybready flavor: Check (but don’t try it too cold - then it tastes like pennies); A suprisingly medium-bodied palate; Check; A hideous two-day case of Monk’s Revenge; Ch..wha...? Yep. What a glass and 2/3 (I finished my wife’s too) of this stuff did to my digestive track was UNBELIEVABLE. I have to guess it was the yeast. Anyway -- overall impression is cut in half because of the toxicity of whatever it was that gave me such godawful cramps and the ensuing ejectiva that went on until Sunday at Noon. (I drank it on a Friday night). Also, even in my very limited experiecnce with the style I already know that there are better and cheaper examples, even if they are American brews (see:Allagash)

Texans0743 (5) - Sugar Land, Texas, USA - APR 5, 2005 does not count
UPDATED: APR 6, 2005 Simply unbelievable. Never had any beer this good, and doubt I ever will. It is definately worth $10 a bottle. Just wish I had enough money to drink it every day. Hell, maybe I’ll move to Belgium.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - APR 3, 2005
UPDATED: APR 12, 2005 Aroma of freshly baked cinnamon raisin bread. Bronze color when held up to light, with a frothy beige head. Exceptional mouthfeel, coating the palate with a taste of the raisin bread. Alcohol is hidden perfectly. Finishes with a clean aftertaste, leaving the drinker wanting another chalice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 2, 2005
Bottle. My buddy Dave decided that I finally had to try this one. It turned out to be just what I had guessed it would be... a pretty nice beer that has become overrated because it is now so mass produced. Pours a nice dark plum color with hints of ruby. Small particles float for a bit and sink to the bottom. Big head, but not creamy and not very long lasting. Nose is sweet, tart and sour with a great nose of Belgian yeast. Taste is nice... a little yeast, a little maltiness, but a little too dry for my tastes. It certainly is a good solid beer, but not even up to par with some American Belgian Ales. Not much body and a good solid medium carbonation that fits the style well. Well above average, but not an unbelievable beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mklein818 (172) - Etterbeek, Virginia, BELGIUM - APR 1, 2005
Chimay is overrated in my book. Sure, it’s ok--particularly if it’s the only Belgian on the menu. But the depth of flavor really isn’t there--it’s a bit too yeasty, too hoppy and not deep enough in the sweet/caramel side of the spectrum.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ericmc83 (207) - Arkansas, USA - MAR 31, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2005 Aroma of banana and bubblegum is the first that comes to mind. Somewhat roasty with yeast showing quite a bit as well on the tongue. Slight alcohol tinge. Nice indeed.