overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4399   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Winefly (60) - KEW, AUSTRALIA - MAR 1, 2004
Bit of overkill here to me. Its not as good as everyone raves about. Its far too overpowering and chemical/steel vat smells are over the top. Its flavour however were quite intense and interesting, don't know what to make of the flower bouquets...made me wanna sing "ring a ringa up ya ringa roses"

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - FEB 28, 2004
I tried this at the Oregon Spring Brew Fest, or whatever it was called, with my wife in tow. She doesn't like beer, usually, but since we rarely see each other she went with me to the event and actually tasted many of the beers I sampled. This one she actually liked. So I bought a bottle knowing she was coming down for the weekend and thought she might want to have some. Well, she had a sip but still didn't want to drink a beer. < sigh > Oh well, I tried. I really don't have a ton of experience with Belgians, in full disclosure, but *damn* this is good. It's very close to the Trois Pistole (sp?) from Unibrou, but I prefer this one. Oh, I'm not using the "correct" glass for the beer yet again. Pours a rather dark brown with a suprisingly white head and very little lacing. The first pour I was cautious because of the many overflows I've had with Belgians, and that left very little head. The second pour I was more vigerous, but still not too much head or any lacing. Smells very fruity, as in raisins, apples. The scent is inviting. Taste surely doesn't let you down. The fruits I mentioned are there as well as a few others like banana. It's spicy as well; cloves are present. Mouthfeel is full and spicy. Drinkability suffers only from the high alcohol content, but I'll definately have more of these. This is complex. I want to grab a few more of these while they're still on sale and put them away for awhile, so maybe I'll be able to revisit it in a year or so. However, you definately owe it to yourself to try this beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dixen (1465) - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA - FEB 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2004 Re-rate. Vintage 1999. Bottle at Plan B, Copenhagen. I picked this bottle out myself, in Plan B's astonishing beer cellar. This dusty bottle screamed at me, Pour me! Drink me! Enjoy me! Feel me! And then i bought it. The beer was so happy to be let out, that it gushed out in the goblet. This hazy dark brown fluid is so beautiful with its creamy beige head. The aroma hit my nose as i poured it, lots of unmalted barley, malt, some sourness and a quite phenomenal touch of hops. The flavor is just as good, tastes like a old port, dry, alcoholic, dark fruits, raisins plums. Very good. Only complaint is that i found it a bit watery, but it ok i think. Very nice and very expensive beer, 16$ for 33cl!!!! But it was worth it!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Timmy (15) - San Pedro, California, USA - FEB 24, 2004
Nice subtle sweet aroma, dark brown color and thick dense head. Nice rich dark taste, smooth light malt taste with a nice sweet finish. Absolutely delicious!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mockerboy (52) - Kansas, USA - FEB 23, 2004
Roasted malts, fruity raisen soaked alchohol smell. Head is off white and lasts. Very full bodied. A great beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
donyboy (7) - Houston, Texas, USA - FEB 23, 2004 does not count
Wow! This has to be the greatest find I've had this year. For an ale with such a high alcohol content, it was surprisingly smooth and subtle. I'm not experienced enough to identify all of the vaious flavors but it was excellent.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dannyboydwp (48) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - FEB 20, 2004
I love the beer! It's aroma and taste both remind me fruit and spice. I could make a night of drinking just this one!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
shintriad (700) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 19, 2004
Cobwebby and musty smell with lots of caramelly malt notes, some nuts. Alcohol extremely well-masked, but it has a helluva kick. I was expecting something incredible, instead it's just a very drinkable and perfected version of the Belgian strong style; none of that nauseating aftertaste I've come to expect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Goblincat (387) - Westland, Michigan, USA - FEB 18, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 20, 2004 Pours dark brown with a slow dissipating off-white foamy head. Nice smells of raisin, fruit, spice. Lots of flavor here, nut, citrus, spice. This ale is always a treat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Baroque1977 (25) - Southeastern, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 17, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 5, 2004 The main problem with this beer is its excessive sweetness. A bit too costly, and given the 4+ ratings on this site, a bit disappointing... one is much better off with the smaller Trappist breweries. Chimay is perhaps a victim of its success.