overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4058   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Dragonblaze99 (354) - Greater London, ENGLAND - DEC 29, 2001
I _may_ have had a bad bottle, but it was disappointing to the extreme. Skunky, sour, flat with a nasty palate. Not a beer I’m willing to try again.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Pablo McStouthead (69) - L.A, California, USA - DEC 28, 2001
A beer like this is like a chocolate milkshake. You don’t always want it all the time, its a bit heavy. But when you do its oh-so-good. Chimay is one of the easiest to find of the Belgians too.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 25, 2001
(6/00 bottle drank on 12/25/01): Complex yet subdued. Wine-like aroma, with a bready taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jokes (1453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2001
I started at the top of Chimay and had high expectations. I enjoyed this ale, but may have been a bit unimpressed compared to its ratings. Nevertheless, I need to try this again--maybe give it a shot out of the smaller bottle.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MEAT99 (3) - WINNIPEG, Manitoba, CANADA - DEC 19, 2001 does not count
I THOUGHT IT WAS ALRIGHT BUT NOT ONE I WOULD BUY EVERY WEEKEND

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - DEC 12, 2001
All I can say is this is a great beer that I could drink all the time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
booyaatribe (453) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 9, 2001
Quite good. This is the beer I mentally recall when I hear the term ’mouthfeel.’ However, it tends to be a bit inconsistent. There’s occasionally a metallic aftertaste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Andrew196 (1091) - Katy, Texas, USA - DEC 2, 2001
Awesome, I had this last night with my bro, lots of alcohol but it isnt too overpowering. Medium-bodied, subtle fruity finish, nice aftertaste. If you want a challenge, try what my friends call ’the red, white, and blue’. That’s right, a tall of all three Chimays. I love this beer!

HansJM (358) - NORWAY - NOV 29, 2001
The strongest - and the best of the Chimay brews - to my taste. A good sweetness makes a rounded beer. Good hops gives a long finish, that turns dry, after a while.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Belgik (72) - Sterrebeek, BELGIUM - NOV 28, 2001
A fine eggshell head of persisting foam tops the dark brown limpid liquid with plentiful good fine bubbles. At first closed (cellar temperature is 14 C), opening to a breadlike aroma with some spice, pepper. Foamy in the mouth, with an intense and full flavor, licorice, quite hefty structure. Good balance between sweetness, body and alcohol, not as overtly herby/hoppy as the ’Chimay Première/Red’ I had yesterday, with a quite heavier body and licorice type predominance, but also some musty bitter in the end. Quite a mouthful, but not as expressive as the ’Chimay Première/Red’ which I found to be the better beer.