overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4018   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

trappist12 (200) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - AUG 16, 2001
Perversely good beer. I give the Catholic Monks multiple thumbs up for a most eloquent brew. Worth a trip to the Old Scourmont Abbey!

legion242 (2142) - Richardson, Texas, USA - SEP 19, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 18, 2004 The greatest of all time? There are times that I drink this beer and I can't believe that a mortal man created it. I guess that is why it comes from men of the cloth. The corked bottle is subtly better. I have had the pleasure of trying a 6 yr. old bottle and it was WONDERFUL. That experience convinced me to start my own 'cellar'---First Anniversary bottle: disappointingly thin. I am afarid that I am storing too cold. Alcohol also more evident then I thought it should be. Can only get better. 2nd Anniversary Bottle-- got to this one late due to my SO's being preggers and all. I have since brought these bottles out of cold storage and put them in to closet storage. This helped the next bottle age IMMENSLEY. So, yeah, I must have been keeping these too cold to age. This one had so much more depth and character then the 1st Anniversary bottle. Lots of plum, prune (same thing eh?), and all those other dark fruits. Now only 3 short months till the 3rd Anniversary bottle!!

Admiral (524) - Schnecksville, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 2, 2001
The Belgians are our friends. Still earthy/sweet as Belgian ales must be, very full and complex, and outstanding with a strong Honduran cigar.

jpm8920 (152) - Park Ridge, New Jersey, USA - JAN 15, 2002
awesome beer...unbelievably unique

homebrewer799 (12) - Roslindale, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 21, 2002
This is by far the best beer ever created. A lot of interesting flavors contained within. Good alcohol content too! I’ve got to culture a yeast from this stuff.

mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JAN 24, 2002
The most complex tasting, most satisfying drink I have ever had. Perfection.

JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 1, 2002
An absolute pleasure to imbibe. The spicy-fruity flavor is delicious. If you only had to drink one beer forever, this could be it. Very tasty.

jagerphish99 (33) - USA - FEB 17, 2002
one of my favorite beers.

Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 27, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2003 This is a superb ale! I have drank all of what Chimay has to offer and I have never had any one that I thought was bad! A slight bitterness that first hits the palate, then diminishes into a malty hops flavor! Thick head that is medium lasting as all chimay's are. Bottom Line I loved just like the rest of them!

Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 20, 2002