overall
Brewed by Chimay
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Baileux, Belgium

RATINGS: 4092   WEIGHTED AVG: 4   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle conditioned - 150 cl, 75 cl, and 33 cl bottles. Named Grande Réserve in 75 cl bottles, and Magnum Grande Réserve in 150 cl bottles.
Chimay Blue is principally distinguished by its character of a strong beer. This is a beer whose fragrance of fresh yeast with a light, flowery rosy touch is especially pleasant. Its flavour, noticed when tasting it, only accentuates the pleasant sensations perceived in the aroma , while revealing a light but pleasant touch of roasted malt. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.

Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - JAN 14, 2004
Only my second "perfect" beer. 750 ml. brown, corked and caged bottle. Bottled in August 2001. I've been aging it since then. Purchased fresh in September 2001 from Total Beverage for $10.99 each. Poured out a deep dark clear brown color. The cork shot out of the bottle when opened. Very effervescent carbonation, champagne like in every way. Subdued cream colored head that left more than a decent lacing in my Chimay chalice. Aromas are of fresh grape wine, slight malts, and rum soaked dried fruits. Figs, plums, and dates come to mind. Very aromatic, and very delicious. Tastes are of dried, dark, rum soaked fruits, vinous, and oaky as well. Hops make a brief appearance in the middle, only to be overtaken by the rich, creamy malts. Very rich mouthfeel, thick, but not chewy. Rich, flavorful, and complex flavors and aromas describe this beer best. Finishes rich, creamy, and very filling. The good monks certainly did their homework on this beer. Absolutely fantastic. The best Belgian beer I've ever had, hands down. Aging only improves this nectar. I'm glad I waited to try this one. I'll be laying down more of this soon.

cubfanbudman (4) - USA - MAR 6, 2004 does not count
If there is a beeter beer out there I have not had it. The beer poors a dark brown so you expect it to be heavy. I still can't believe how smooth and perfect this beer was.

ilovetrappist (23) - Round Rock, Texas, USA - JUN 4, 2004
Dark brown with a 1 finger head that dissapates in 5 minutes to a light glaze. Zig zagged lace along the entire glass. Raisin, smoked wood, fruity smell that has so much going on in this beer. Just like the description; it tastes like it smells. Raisins, smoked wood, herbs and spices. It is very complex and smooth. Feels just right as it hits the tongue and all the way to the finish. This beer is a perfect example of why I love Trappists. Outstanding!

bourne (161) - Suwon, SOUTH KOREA - OCT 5, 2004
Tried this while in france, wow was it good. Even better for a Euro a bottle. Rather expensive in this country but doesnt lose any flavor. This flavor comes in 150cl bottles in addition to 33cl and 75cl.

arsouille (1) - LUXEMBOURG - NOV 8, 2004 does not count
best beer I have ever tasted, high alcoholic, best drink with chimay cheese

fallesen (8) - DENMARK - NOV 18, 2004 does not count
You cannot go wrong here. Truly the king of beers. From the fruity aroma and taste to the remarkable colour, this is always a pleasure. No matter if it is draught or bottle, I always enjoy this one. The only drawback is that it leaves you wanting more, but seeing that it is rather strong it is not always possible to consume more.

TheReptilian (13) - Burley, Idaho, USA - NOV 23, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2005 I drank this shit while I was on mushrooms, so that I could fully appreciate the aroma and flavor. The goblet glass was in full effect. Damn. I think that the gods spoke to me through this one. My whole face was filled with hops and spices. I love it.

smkngun (1) - Brnadon, Florida, USA - DEC 5, 2004 does not count
Great beer, I love it! What else can I say this is a beer you either love, or can get used too. Definitely worth a try.

Texans0743 (5) - Sugar Land, Texas, USA - APR 5, 2005 does not count
UPDATED: APR 6, 2005 Simply unbelievable. Never had any beer this good, and doubt I ever will. It is definately worth $10 a bottle. Just wish I had enough money to drink it every day. Hell, maybe I’ll move to Belgium.

Dimitri99 (63) - USA - AUG 2, 2005
Simply... amazing. Had a small bottle in NYC last weekend, and... it was amazing complex, with a great aroma of mixed fruits and sugars. Amazingly smooth, easy on the palate. An excellent dark amber color... simply put, the best beer I’ve ever had.