overall

Style: Pilsener
Breda, Netherlands

RATINGS: 661   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Unfiltered bottle.
Ingredients: Water, Barely Malt, Hops, Yeast.
Christoffel Blond is a bottom fermented golden-coloured beer with a full body, a very balanced taste and a beautiful bitterness due to a generous addition of fresh hop during the brewing-process. The aroma is fruity and has a fresh taste with a pleasant, hoppy finish. After the bankruptcy of the Christoffel brewery in early 2013, brewed at Proef in Lochristi

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
muzzlehatch (4758) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 10, 2004
UPDATED: APR 14, 2005 March 04: 33 cl bottle, from the gorgeous gift pack with Robertus (why canít I get this in VT). Cloudy light golden, big soft fragile head, beautiful snowflake lacing in the glass. Very fresh, malty-grassy nose, nothing different really -- just archetypally good. Great flavor balance, with grassy fresh goodness, some light bready maltiness, and a powerful but not overbearing cedary hoppiness to finish; hints of black or raspberry I think as well. This is a very subtle refresher and probably wonít blow away the hopmeisters out there; Iím glad I have a 2nd one to try, as I wouldnít be surprised to find that Iím underrating it. Wonderful. 7/5/8/5/17 4.2

April 2005 miraculously overflowing mellifluous floral honeysuckle freshest cut grass vanilla and subtle caramel in the nose...ending bitterness nearly consumes soft sweetness of the body, smoothness becomes rough....the best, the best.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gunny (41) - Dundas, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 23, 2004
Straw gold in colour with a delicate, offwhite head. Hops and malt roll around together on a freshly cut field of grass with hops winning out on the nose. First tastes illicit flavours of fresh bread, shortbread biscuit and ripe tree fruit followed by a delightful, balancing bitterness and warming alcohol. A full-bodied treat for the palate. The finish is dry and refreshing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerhugger (542) - Oshawa, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 6, 2004
Well when I see a beer like this it automatically reminds me of too many of the pale swill that Molbatts foists on us here in Canada. Then a second longer look shows a greater clarity and depth of colour. Also, a wonderful floral, bready, piney, hoppy aroma belies my initial hasty visual appraisal. I'm drawn in to a smooth, slightly sweet turning lingeringly gently bitter pilsener. Really enjoyable.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ThomasE (5174) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JAN 28, 2004
Good solid head which is lasting. Colour is golden and a bit hazy. Taste is on the bitter side.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sanchex (224) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 21, 2004
Not sure what was wrong with my bottle because it poured with absolutely no head and was very flat. Although, it tasted excellent. Rich organic hoppy aroma with a nice balanced malt taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JAN 17, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2006 Was really looking forward to trying this beer - it was good but not quite as good as I was expecting. Hazy orange colour, good head retention. Looks like it has heaps of flavour. Quite hoppy aroma - started out thinking it was just Hallertau but by the end I thought I smelled something vaguely American. Spicy, perfumy at the start then quite piney as it warmed. Fresh, juicy malt flavour, heaps of spicy hop flavour and a mild bitterness but very long finish. Fullish body and low carbonation which is good. Quite good but not great.
RR: I hope this was a bad bottle and not a change in the brewing process. My Dutch expert housemate said it was still better than VB, but I disagreed. Just tasted like a crap lager, completely lacking hops. Iím going to give it the benefit of the doubt, even though Iím pissed off that the only bottle Iím likely to see for quite a long time was no good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - DEC 31, 2003
Came in gift pack with correct footed glassware. Beautiful yellow color with foamy beautiful head. Lacing throughout. Lemony & yeasty throughout. Cant wait to try the Robertus.

Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 29, 2003
POP! went the little swing-top bottle, releasing aromas of bread, yeast and fresh cut grass. Poured nearly hazy golden with a short head that lasted for most of the glass, leaving thick clinging lace. Palate is milky thick, short shot of lemon zest at the roof of the mouth, biscuity bread, yeast, some hints of spice. Here comes the big finish - yes, saaz and maybe other hops as well. Assertive and piney, the end is dry with some lingering resins. I've been craving a good pils lately, too bad I haven't found this in a 6 pack!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrGonzo (625) - Somerville, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Finally found this stuff...pours a hazy golden orange with medium white head. Beautiful hop aroma. Spicy pine hop bite, plenty of malt with well balanced sweetness, buttery smooth at times. This is my kind of hoppy beer, the hops don't knock you over with brute force. This is just simply an extremely well made beer, something I wish I could find more regularly. I didn't think I would found I pilsener I enjoy more than Prima, but this might be the one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jfm (1724) - Holbśk, DENMARK - DEC 8, 2003
Nice slightly hazy golden color with a really nice white head. The taste slightly bitter but otherwise very well balanced.