Church Brew Coconut Stout
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 30   MEAN: 3.37/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Our next stout in our rotating Blast Furnace Stout series is a Coconut Stout. I noticed in my three years here that our stout sales decline in the summer months. Most people donít want to struggle with a nice thick stout in the summer months when they are looking to cool off. I however love a nice stout in the hot months, so I felt a compromise was in order. When I think of summer, three things pop into my mind: baseball, the 4th of July, and coconut. Alright, maybe coconut doesnít make me think of summer but I like it and Iím in charge now so letís see if we can shake things up a bit. This recipe is a twist on my Milk Stout that debuted back in November. It is the basic recipe for the Milk Stout except I added a considerable amount more chocolate malt and scaled back the roast barley. Also, I added some oats for everyone who misses our Oatmeal Stout. I also added twenty pounds of lactose into the boil. The coconut comes into play in the serving tank. I added twenty-five pounds of unsweetened coconut flakes into the serving tank. When the cooling jackets are turned on the oils from the flakes will mix with the brew giving the beer a subtle hint of coconut. When tasting this beer you will notice the chocolate malt up front on your tongue. This will give way to a subtle taste of coconut in the finish and in the back of your throat. With the addition of lactose you will also pick up a malty sweetness. The hop bill was kept low so that it would not overpower the sweetness and the coconut. I hope through this beer that everyone will think of coconut when they think of summer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
LilBeerDoctor (3472) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 6, 2013
On tap. Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head. Aroma of chocolate malt, lactose, roasted malt, sweet malt. Flavor of coconut initially followed by chocolate malt, lactose, light roast, and more toasted coconut. Palate is slightly thin but overall very tasty and plenty of coconut! 7/4/8/4/14 (3.7/5)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
nike (967) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 10, 2013
draft, poured a black color with a small tan head. The aroma was malty. The flavor was bitter, watery and thin feel with strong coconut that just overtook the flavor, with a hint of malty chocolate undertone. The finish was long, and dry with lingering coconut. Ok.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nate (3727) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 24, 2013
On tap at Benjaminís. Light roasted malt with a bit of acrid smoke, lactose sweetness and a hint of coconut and chocolate. Dark black opaque with creamy light tan lacing head. Medium body with medium carbonation. Starts medium dry with roasted and lightly burnt malt. Coconut flavor with some coffee and chocolate, and a bit of carbonic acidity. Finish is sweet with coconut and vanilla and mild nutty bitterness. A little watery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tcane7 (1664) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 21, 2012
12 oz draft at the church. Pours black with a thin beige head. Aroma of chocolaty malts, slight toasted coconut and coffee. The coconut flavor is fairly muted, light toast flavor, chocolate comes through. Pretty bitter and not overly sweet, which is what I was anticipating from a coconut stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
can8ianben (1317) - Souderton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 17, 2011
A tasty stout, but I had a hard time finding the coconut flavors in the profile. Dark, sweet, subtly roasty, and delicious (just not coconuty).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
artmcd8 (1612) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 13, 2011
UPDATED: JUL 28, 2013 Pours dark with a think froathy cream colored head. This stout smells like most stouts with a coffee/ chocolate aroma. At first I couldnít taste any coconut but as I drank more a slight hint came through as the beer warmed slightly. 2013: they increased the coconut by 25% and boy does it make a difference. So good. One of my favorites.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
rudolf (2341) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAY 15, 2011
Tap @ Brewpub. Nose is chocolate, coffee, toffee, dank - almost rotting - coconut. Flavor is overly sweet caramel, coffee, some plastic. Earthy roast in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JoeMcPhee (8410) - Toronto, ON, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 30, 2010
Deep brown/black pour. The nose is quite chocolatey with a little bit of light roastiness. Not a whole lot of coconut on the nose but the flavour shows loads of it in the mouth. Light and a bit earthy/roasty on the finish. Soft and sweet... itís got a touch of soapiness on the finish that I could do without though. Itís okay but...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
zdk (1809) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 24, 2010
tap @ Church - hazy dark pour, nice lacing. I love being reminded why sweet stout is my favorite style. Arouma is roasty, cocoa, sweet coconut milk, vanilla. Creamy body, perfect balance. I could drink this all day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
j12601 (6603) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - JUL 29, 2010
On tap at Church on our way to RBSG. Pours a deep black with a thin beige head. Soft toasted coconut and milk chocolate. Excellent coconut flavors, toasty and smooth. Lightly over sweet metallic note, but the coconut nuttiness mostly covers it. Light sweet finish, more roast on the end. Tasty.