overall
Brewed by Church-Key Brewing
Style: Smoked
Campbellford, Canada

RATINGS: 180   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Our Holy Smoke is a peat-smoked scotch ale. This 6.25% abv ale is dark and malty, and is enhanced with smoked whisky malt straight from Scotland.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
RaphaelN (195) - Peterborough, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 19, 2006
On tap at Volo. The name doesn’t lie. It literally tasted like smoke. very reminiscient of tobacco and a somewhat oddly fishy taste mixed in with caramel. Can’t say it’s the greatest, nor is it too bad. A decent beer at best.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
joergen (20656) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - DEC 17, 2006
Bottle. Clear orange brown coloured with a beige head. Aroma of fruits and caramel with notes of smoke. Flavour of fruits, caramel and smoke.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Papsoe (25088) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - DEC 16, 2006
(Bottle 34,1 cl) Clear mahogany with a reddish hue and a beige head. Lightly burned, ashy nose. Medium body with both burned and smoked accents. Dry and lightly hoppy finish. The smokiness is only discreet and pleasant. 161206

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 2, 2006
11.5 oz bottle, trade from Radiomgb. Though I’m not the hugest fan of smoked beers, I was very much looking forward to trying this one. Nice amber color with a modest head, this one combines an intense malty presence with some slightly sour undertones at the finish. Pretty mellow compared to a lot of rauchbiers I’ve had, and they do an admirable job trying to balance the flavors, but not a home run.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Slacks (615) - Bolton, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 27, 2006
Draught @ West 50, Mississauga: Had this one a few years ago before I was "in to" beer and had hated it, but I’d been assuming my improved palate might now enjoy it. Truth! Poured copper in colour, very little head on mine but the lacing was incredible. Aroma is earthy and smoky, albeit more muted than the Aecht I had a while ago. I found this one far superior to the Aecht in flavour as well, offering a more subtle flavour than the "punched in the face with corned beef" from the former. This one is well balanced with flourishes of smoke and significant hopping, and just enough whiskey-style maltiness to balance. I’m a convert, I really enjoyed this one!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
OldGrowth (2649) - North Carolina, USA - NOV 10, 2006
bottle, from trade with radiomg. Ok aroma sweet & smokey. Smokey, peaty, and a egg/meaty thing I’m never fond of. Clean orangy brown color, ok head that quickly faded to a ring, then nothing. No lace. Bittersweet flavor, like aroma, but more smoke and that eggy/meaty again. Sweet maltiness. Medium body, creamy mouthfeel, dry finish. I’ve had a couple other brews that have had this what I call eggy/meaty thing and I just don’t like it, oh well. thanks radiomg.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
tomthompson89 (1902) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 22, 2006
have had this on tap, and in bottle, smoke flavour is wonderful, definate scotch ale, good beer, great with bbq

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TaktikMTL (5701) - Montréal-Nord, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 18, 2006
Bouteille de 341 ml achetée directement à la brasserie. Arôme: Odeur fumé et de cacao. Apparence: La couleur est brune opaque avec une moyenne densité de bulle. Pésence d’un mince col mousseux et d’une large dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Goût de caramel et de petits fruits confits. Durée moyenne de l’arrière goût. Palette: Le corps est moyen avec une texture légèrement crémeuse. Faible effervescence en bouche. Légère présence de terre en arrière goût. (Rating #696)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - SEP 16, 2006
On tap at Volo. I had high hopes for this one after trying Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen(what a name )which I enjoyed a lot. Sad to say I did not really like Holy Smoke. I enjoyed the smokey taste but there was something unpleasant about the beer. I would like to try it again, maybe I got a bad batch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
kramer (4903) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 16, 2006
12 oz bottle, via acertain. Pours an opaque dark reddish brown with a nice two finger fizzy head that settled to a creamy film. Beige in color, it left some nice lacing. Aroma is nicely peaty with a touch of campfire smoke and a hearty smoked meat overtone. The malt is strong and there’s a touch of alcohol. There is a slight acetic bite that grabs you at the sides of the tongue that eventually gets overtaken by the peat on the finish, but it comes across as a defect to me. No room for vinegar in a Smoked. Mouthfeel is watery in texture with an active soft carbonation level. The finish is very astringent and drying. This started with alot of potential, but the flavor just didn’t deliver. I’s like to try another bottle and see if this was off or not.