overall
Brewed by Church-Key Brewing
Style: Smoked
Campbellford, Canada

RATINGS: 184   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28   EST. CALORIES: 186   ABV: 6.2%
Our Holy Smoke is a peat-smoked scotch ale. This 6.25% abv ale is dark and malty, and is enhanced with smoked whisky malt straight from Scotland.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
tomthompson89 (1903) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 22, 2006
have had this on tap, and in bottle, smoke flavour is wonderful, definate scotch ale, good beer, great with bbq

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TaktikMTL (5843) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 18, 2006
Bouteille de 341 ml achetée directement à la brasserie. Arôme: Odeur fumé et de cacao. Apparence: La couleur est brune opaque avec une moyenne densité de bulle. Pésence d’un mince col mousseux et d’une large dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Goût de caramel et de petits fruits confits. Durée moyenne de l’arrière goût. Palette: Le corps est moyen avec une texture légèrement crémeuse. Faible effervescence en bouche. Légère présence de terre en arrière goût. (Rating #696)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
beergut111 (210) - Berlin, GERMANY - SEP 16, 2006
On tap at Volo. I had high hopes for this one after trying Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen(what a name )which I enjoyed a lot. Sad to say I did not really like Holy Smoke. I enjoyed the smokey taste but there was something unpleasant about the beer. I would like to try it again, maybe I got a bad batch.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
kramer (5034) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 16, 2006
12 oz bottle, via acertain. Pours an opaque dark reddish brown with a nice two finger fizzy head that settled to a creamy film. Beige in color, it left some nice lacing. Aroma is nicely peaty with a touch of campfire smoke and a hearty smoked meat overtone. The malt is strong and there’s a touch of alcohol. There is a slight acetic bite that grabs you at the sides of the tongue that eventually gets overtaken by the peat on the finish, but it comes across as a defect to me. No room for vinegar in a Smoked. Mouthfeel is watery in texture with an active soft carbonation level. The finish is very astringent and drying. This started with alot of potential, but the flavor just didn’t deliver. I’s like to try another bottle and see if this was off or not.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nekronos (3633) - Xalapa, MEXICO - SEP 15, 2006
Veyr good in taste, but these beers are good for one time in a while. Veyr smoked, with strong taste. Brown in colour and special foam. Carefull with it because =can finish the session.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheRoot (38) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 14, 2006
The finale of the Volo sampler trifecta from September 14, 2006. Again, a 5 oz sample on tap. The beer poured a dark chocolate brown with an almost non existent head although in all fairness I was so excited for the other two beer that I didn’t pay as much attention to the third pour as I should have… That being said, there was still a crisp thin white head sitting just on top. The first impression of the scent is a pound of freshly cooking smoked bacon (mmmmm….. bacon…..) (but I digress). There is a smooth silky mouth feel that envelopes your tongue like a nice winter scarf. Overall it is like eating a pound of bacon and then drinking out of an ash tray (only without the overwhelmingly negative connotations)

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
OnBeerGal (5) - CANADA - JUL 10, 2006 does not count
I’d heard mixed reviews from friends about this one, and maybe I got a bad bottle.... but it had a fishy aftertaste....no I wasn’t eating fish... I’ve tasted this on a few cask ales that I think had reached a little too low.... may give another try.... Re-rate - getting used to scale

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jacktripper (20) - CANADA - JUN 4, 2006
Pours a nice dark brown and has a very light smoky taste (in comparison to others of this style). Very nice aftertaste with a mild hint of spice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
ross (2090) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAY 22, 2006
Bottle from Paul (blankboy) Thanks! Pours kind of dark brown color with some bubbles going through, smells smokey, and similar to stale water. Taste is smokey, oily, and rather unpleasnt. I dont like it when people say "I dont usually like this style so heres my rating of .6" so I will not do that. I am not a fan of smoked beers at all, and the more I try, the less I like them. However, I will rate this based on what I think a smoked beer should be rated like. Thanks..but no thanks. Ill stick to my stouts and IPAs. Possibly the only style of beer I cannot come around to appreciating, to those that can - cheers!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Quevillon (2531) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 19, 2006
But au Black Tomato (Ottawa), 20 oz. Brun super focé, mini collet. Arome un peu agrume, malte fleurie et un peu fumée. Goùt de malte fumé au contact, mais sucré après.