overall

RATINGS: 39   MEAN: 3.09/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05   IBU: 29   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Flat Top Steel Can. An old forgotten experience new again. Back to simple times with simple tools that change an interaction into an experience. For the first time in nearly 30 years, an often forgotten beer experience is available once again. We hope that you will join us in paying homage to an era of hard work, community, and some great stories.

Our Home Brewers. Creators of our pilsner recipe. Our home brewers Lucas Jones & Sean Burke have been crafting home brewed beer in their garages for many years. They share these brews with their friends at backyard BBQs and over the holidays as gifts. They love this hobby, and are passionate about their beer and the community they cultivate with it. We are very excited to have these two all-American guys create the recipe for the Churchkey Pilsner. We hope that you enjoy it as much as we do. To find out more about Lucas & Sean, please visit ChurchkeyCanCo.com

burleybrew's rating

1.1
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
burleybrew (44) - - FEB 15, 2013
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2013 Cool can; we opened ours with some scissors. Sadly our beer was either old, oxidized or both. The beer was clearly off color & musty. I got the can from a coworker. He said it was funky, I tried anyways. Could be a cool idea, but needs some good beer in the can first.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JK (4522) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAR 31, 2013
Skyview Tasting, 2/23/13. Good presentation in the can. Yeast and some hops. Malt base, solid domestic pils.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
ryanfolty (1863) - Bourbon County, Minnesota, USA - FEB 23, 2013
February 23, 2013 can shared by Bob. Cloudy yellow pour with head that faded quickly. Grainy and malty aroma. Taste was consistent but a touch metallic in finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Bacterial (1628) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - FEB 23, 2013
It’s better than bud, miller or coors. A bit metallic, maybe from the can opener that Bob used. Fun to try. Glad I’m not stuck on a remote desert isle with a case of these though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BVery (6610) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - FEB 23, 2013
Can shared by Bob - thanks! Wish I was watching Entourage while drinking this. Hazy light yellow pour with a smaller white head. Pretty darn good pils - a little bitterness in here as well. Kind of a metallic finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Prufrockstar (1020) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 29, 2012
To be fair, I'm not much of a pilsner person, but picked this up to share with my mom who was visiting. Appearance: I'm starting with the can, since it's very much a part of (perhaps the defining part of) how this beer presents itself. Classic blue retro packaging, complete with churchkey and instructions on can. That being said, took me a damned long time to open, and the top of each can ended up dimpled with my many failures. Poured with some head, golden color. Grainy, bready aroma. Taste: starts smooth and sweet and ends up unpleasantly metallic. Keeps with the theme I guess, as it makes me think this sat in a can in grandpa's garage too long. Overall: can looks cool. Me trying to open the can looks anything but cool. Beer makes me feel like I'm drinking the can. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ratman197 (9960) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - NOV 12, 2012
Steel can very easily opened with an enclosed chuchkey poured a clear tarnished gold with a lingering ring of offwhite foam. Aromas of bread, earthiness and light graininess. Palate was light to medium bodied and crisp. Flavors of bread and light earthiness with a crisp finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mansquito (3447) - Nueva York, New York, USA - NOV 4, 2012
Euro Market, Queens 12oz ($2.19): Pours a golden color with white head. Aroma is grass, dry hops, and some breadish type things. Taste is much the same. This is a slightly bitter pilsner with a light malt backbone. Everything is drinkable and sessionable. This beer is, however, one of the more gimmicky beers that I have ever seen.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
DruncanVeasey (7285) - NUNEATON, Top 22, Warwickshire, ENGLAND - OCT 27, 2012
Can from Sandy Lane: something a little different for my 5555th. Yielded disappointingly easily to the missus’ brand spanking new luxury pink BHS tin opener. Pours..well, tips opalescent, almost fully clouded straw with thin sheet of foam barely reaching the edges of the glass. Revoltingly rusty aroma on cutting the lid..subsiding into faint herb and lemoniness. Tastes like glue swilled in a rusty tin can; honey dripped on corn, slightly shrubby, citric Germanic hop, pine. Damn, that’s almost pilsner-style. Bilious, soapy bitterness to finish. Strangely turgid, full-bodied mouthfeel. Drinkable, if not fully enjoyable gimmick with hints of the real thing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
trujahwarrior (509) - Monroe, Washington, USA - OCT 9, 2012
Pours a hazy golden color with a thick white head that leaves awesome lacing. Smells of wet hay, light grains and light hops. Tastes pretty average for a pilsner. Mouthfeel was light and refreshing. This was pretty dissapointing as a beer to be honest especially with all the hype it was getting when it first came out. I think the flat top can design is awesome as well as the artwork on the can. It was actually pretty easy to poke the holes in it, don’t know why people said it was difficult. I would drink it again just because the oldschool concept.