Cigar City 110K+OT Batch #2 I.R.I.S. - Cherry Hazelnut Cacao Nib Bourbon Barrel

click to upload

Formerly brewed at Cigar City Brewing
Style: Imperial Stout
Tampa, Florida USA

RATINGS: 7   MEAN: 4.41/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
A Cherry, hazelnut and cacao nib aged version of Bourbon Barrel 110K+OT Batch #2. We added cherry puree, raw hazelnuts and Peruvian cacao. Big cherry notes up front which quickly segues into chocolate, vanilla and lightly boozy bourbon notes. It’s an after dinner/fireplace kind of beer so, shove some ice in your undies before you drink it to get that cold weather effect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 1, 2010
Black, black, and blacker with a thin burnt espresso crema head fading fast into a burnt espresso crema ringlet. As I watched it burble out of the tap into my taster glass, I had no doubt in my mind I would be happily chewing my way through this beer. But then again, the standard $110K+OT #2 is already thick, and that’s just the way I like it. His nose immediately talks cherry to me before settling into a river of melted black chocolates, home-made fudge, and hazelnuts everywhere. The hazelnut is happily very prominent. Mm… bourbon. Oh, I’m sorry. Did I forget to mention that the barrel it was aged in was previously a bourbon barrel? My bad, but now you know and knowing is half the battle. Bourbon soaked wood oozes vanillin, spice, and most intriguingly, a touch of chocolate. I would attribute the chocolate more to the rest of his personality, but for whatever magical reason, it prefers the bourbon side. Another kiss of cherry and I drink deep of my taster. Cherry front and center just as his nose promised which is followed immediately by hazelnuts. Burnt caramel and espresso black as pitch sit on top of my tongue with apparently nowhere else to go. Big and chewy, he still manages balance in both body and mouthfeel. More hazelnuts lead me into bourbon, vanillin, and a wisp of spice in my breath. He doesn’t have too long of a finish, which is surprising but not disappointing. The cherries and hazelnuts I find lighten his palate while the bourbon barrels add more vanilla, spice, and warmth to set my chest aglow. I don’t feel any onset of cardiac apoplexy thankfully, but there is certainly a smile on my face as wide as the summer sun that was shining down on me that afternoon. My taster glass empty, I shamelessly went back for more before the keg was sucked dry by the hundreds of beer geeks and neophytes (thanks Naked Pint) there doing the same thing I was doing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cbeers21 (693) - Miami, Florida, USA - OCT 8, 2009
Sample at Treasure Coast. Truly beautiful to gaze upon. Deep roasted aromas to smell here-chocolate, vanilla, hazelnut a smokey bourbon and even some berry/coffee flavors. There are a lot of different things going on here but they all seem to blend together seamlessly. Wonderful velvet texture is tooth coating and superb. Long warming finish. made my day

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Rustyham (1726) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - SEP 29, 2009
Man this is so good. I wish I had spent the whole time at beerfest just drinking this. Chocolate, sugar, caramel, cherryies, vanilla, hazelnuts, heath...EVERYTHING YOU WANT IS IN HERE! Tap at 2nd Annual Treasure Coast Beerfest in Ft. Pierce, Fla.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MeadMe (1309) - Riverview, Florida, USA - SEP 28, 2009
Sampled at the brewery before it was shipped for the Treasure Coast Beerfest. A: Pours very dark black with a small mocha head. Light lace. S: Very bold aroma. Lots of wood, vanilla and cherries up front. Strong notes of espresso, charred malt and booze as well. T: Tons of very deep roasted malt up front. The barrel then takes over. Lots of burnt oak and bourbon. Subtle notes of vanilla and black cherries underneath. Some chocolate and coffee as well. I could not detect the nuts. M: Full, rich, and evil. Just the way Wayne likes to make them. A bit of boozey burn in the finish. D: One I could sit down and sip for hours. Another real solid CCB beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
daknole (9128) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - SEP 27, 2009
Yeah this shit is amazing. Black pour, rich chocolate colored head. Aroma has tons of chocolate, coffee, light bourbon, and some cherry vanilla ice cream. Flavor is chocolate heaven with coffee, nuts, vanilla, bourbon, light fruit notes. Roasty and some hops too. Fine, fine beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hopscotch (9170) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 27, 2009
Draft… Second Annual Treasure Coast Beer Fest... This beer rocks!... Pitch black with a small, creamy, light brown head. Decent retention. The bouquet is a bold, acrid blend of espresso, bourbon, dark chocolate, vanilla and black cherries. Full-bodied with a velvety mouthfeel and mild carbonation. The flavor is a carbonous swirl of charcoal, espresso, bourbon and tart cherries. Lengthy, burnt, bitter, mildly acidic finish. World class beer!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
darkguardian (725) - Florida, USA - SEP 26, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2009 At the TCBF Pours a pitch black with a awesome chocolate head. Nose is some light cherry, huge wood and toasted nut notes and serious malt complexity with lots of bourbon and vanilla. Some soy and chocolate. Flavor is cherry and wood up front. Bourbon and vanilla pop up in the middle. Huge roasty 110k finish. Lingering notes of hazelnut and chocolate in the finish. This is really really good. Smoother than the original.