Cigar City Hunahpu’s Imperial Stout - Bourbon Barrel Aged

overall
Formerly brewed at Cigar City Brewing
Style: Imperial Stout
Tampa, Florida USA

RATINGS: 151   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.23   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheMantle (37) - New York, USA - FEB 17, 2010
For my second review on ratebeer, I have the rare honor of reviewing this beer. Had on tap at Rattle N Hum into a small goblet. Pours a badass black with almost a nonexistent caramel colored head. The nose is unbelievable with bourbon, vanilla, and a beautiful hint of chili peppers and some other spices. Flavor is complex with bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, wood, and spices. There is very little alcohol present and the chili pepper heat builds as you drink but does not become overpowering. Overall, one of the best beers I have ever had and I am only afraid that I did not do justice to the beer in this review.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
nickd717 (3653) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 9, 2010
Well, here I am reviewing another top 10 beer on this site. You don’t do that too often. I’m sorry to say I’ll be bringing this beer’s average score down, because I’d pretty much have to give it a perfect rating not to. Joey and Wayne at CCB really do fulfill beer geeks’ wildest dreams. Met those guys at GABF ’09, and surprisingly, they seemed like normal guys and not all-powerful deities floating on clouds or anything like that. Who knew? Anyway, I had a small pour of this from a hand bottle that came from a growler, so having been well-traveled, it went through a lot before it got to me and arrived pretty much totally flat. In addition, I only had a small pour from which to judge this beer. So my suggestion to CCB is to arrange to send me a better representation of this beer, and hell, maybe I’ll find it worthy of my first perfect 5.0. Definitely has that potential. So...this beer pours black with not much head at all, just a bubble or two. Aroma is absolutely incredible. Rich chocolate, cherry, vanilla, cedar and other wood, bourbon, cinnamon, tobacco, and chili peppers. Even with a small pour in less than ideal condition, it really jumps out at you. Wow. Flavor not quite as impressive but still amazing. Roast and smoke, coffee, bitter cocoa, bourbon, vanilla, tobacco, vanilla, coconut, and nice chili heat. Really a lot going on with this one. Bourbon is very well-balanced and not at all overwhelming like it can be in some beers from such barrels. Full and smooth on the palate with very low carbonation, not surprisingly. Even though I gave it a very positive review, I don’t feel like this really got a fair shake, so stay tuned for a future update.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
illidurit (2243) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 9, 2010
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2010 Rating #900! Handbottle from a growler courtesy gunhaver. Pours a very dark brown but not black with a thin froth of bubbles that reassure me that there’s some carbonation left. Aroma is deep dark and milk chocolates with some roastiness and cinnamon. The chilies are noticeable and interesting, and the bourbon is mild. Flavor hits with the chilies up front causing an appreciable warmth. Then roasted coffee and dark chocolate follow, well-integrated with the coconut and bourbon flavors. Very well-balanced, unique, and interesting. Body is solid and smooth, easy to drink. Hopefully I’ll have the pleasure of drinking this super fresh someday.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
markwise (4786) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - JAN 4, 2010
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2011 Wow. If you have not tasted it, you will not understand. Pours a badass brown-black with a minimal off-white head. Nose is bourbon, vanilla, barrel, roast, chili pepper, cinnamon, spice, and the tears of a very young unicorn. Flavor really has damn near everything that is good and righteous in the world: bourbon, vanilla, chilis, cinnamon, roast, earth, complexity, slight booze (but you REALLY have to look for it), and a mild heat that increases as the beer warms. This beer redefines full-bodied and is incredible.

Maltzilla (38) - Florida, USA - DEC 21, 2009
Amazing. Had this at the NoHo Bistro Beer/Dinner paring and completely blew my socks off. Pours a very nice obsidian black with a medium cappuccino colored head. The taste is out of this world, you get flavors of bourbon (not overpowering, but definitely present) bitter chocolate in the front, then hits you with cinnamon and chiles in the back . Chilies tend to linger just a bit after the drink, but it is such a welcome taste after the sweetness of the chocolate and warmness of the bourbon. This is hands down one of the best beers I’ve ever had and by far one of the most complex.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
afterglow (1047) - Florida, USA - DEC 21, 2009
Growler courtesy of Degarth. Pours a glass staining black with a small but lasting head that leaves good lacing. Aroma of dark fruit, coconut, bourbon, roasted malt, chocolate, tobacco, vanilla, and a hint of cinnamon. Taste is the same as aroma. Full oily mouthfeel with a moderate amount of bitterness and a nice amount of warming from the alcohol. Another amazing beer from Cigar City.

JW77 (22) - Miami, Florida, USA - DEC 21, 2009
Pours black with a tan head. Smells of chocolate, bits of chilies, cinnamon, and of course wonderful bourbon. The flavor is incredible chocolate, bourbon and oak, some vanilla with that great hit of chilies on the back end. Amazing, just amazing I need this on tap at my house like everyday :)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
HOPSHUNTER (742) - Tampa, Florida, USA - DEC 20, 2009
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2010 Growler courtesy of Degarth at TPD’s Tampa Throwdown. Amazing! Poured a glass staining black with a thin dark brown head. Nose is chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, oak, and cinnamon. Full body with a velvety mouth feel and soft carbonation. Flavor is ridiculous, Hunahpus but even better. Extremely complex, the bourbon is definitely present but very mellow and balanced with the vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, and chilie flavors. Very balanced for a BA beer. Finishes smooth and spicy. Truly a world class beer. Thank you Joey and Wayne for bringing light to Tampa!

Re-rate 03/04/10 I had this beer again at Dunedin’s Stogies and Stouts. I normally wouldn’t re-rate but this beer was my #1 and the beer I had at the fest was drastically different. The first time I had this beer it was pulled early from the barrel and it was fantastic the bourbon flavors meshed so beautifully with the base flavors of Hunahpus. When I had it at the fest it had sat in the barrel for the full amount of time they had intended, I found the bourbon over-powering. I was assaulted by the bourbon profile and it did hide the more delicate vanilla and cinnamon flavors.

daknole (10280) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - DEC 18, 2009
Nearly black pour with a brownish/red head. Aroma, holy fuck. Chocolate, cocunut, bourbon, oak, chiles, cinnamon, toffee, and more. Flavor..oak, bourbon, chili peppers, spices, chocolate, caramel. Chili heat is noticeable as it warms!! Amazing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
dchmela (2827) - Orlando, Florida, USA - DEC 16, 2009
Thanks to Solan and Degarth for this. From the 32oz growler. Pours a thick black oil like with a dark tan head. Huge aroma of vanilla cookies, chocolate, roasted grain, velvety. Taste is thick roasted grain, chocolate, bourbon, and tangy citrus hops. So powerful that I had to clean the glass twice to get the flavor out. Just a beast of a brew and wonderful.