Cigar City Imperial Milk Porter - Stranahan’s Whiskey Barrel-aged

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 123   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
So, what you have here is a high gravity porter brewed with lactose and aged in whiskey barrels. It tastes like catching your favorite song on the radio with hints of the parking meter expiring, but not getting a ticket. It’s good.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
adam42381 (381) - Fort Myers, Florida, USA - NOV 29, 2012
Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Bottled on 7/3/11 printed on bottle. Purchased at Cigar City sometime in the summer of 2011. Appearance: Pours almost pitch black with a 1/4 finger foamy light tan head which settles, leaving a nice ring around the glass and a little bit of pooling in the middle. Nice lacing. Smell: Sweet malt, molasses, lightly roasted malt with a nice touch of sweet whiskey coming through in the background. Smells amazing. Taste: Sweet roasted malt and molasses up front followed by a distinct sweet whiskey flavor in the middle before ending with the perfect blend of oaky woodiness to go along with a touch of toasted malt. Aftertaste is roasted malt and woody with a just the right amount of sweetness. The alcohol is extremely well-masked. The age (almost 17 months since it was bottled) has really done wonders from those compared to the reviews I read when it was fresh that said it was very hot. Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. This one really coats the tongue. Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. The alcohol is so well-hidden that I’m tempted to drink the entire 750ml bottle by myself. I’m putting a wine stopper in it and saving the rest to share with my wife tomorrow evening. Overall: Excellent beer overall. I can’t say enough good things about this one. I decided to crack this one tonight after my wife and I spoke with a realtor who will be listing our house for us. I figured that good news deserves a good beer. For those that drank it fresh and won’t get the chance to try it with this kind of age on it, I’m sorry. This beer has come as close to perfection as I could imagine. There is almost no room for improvement here. This is the best Cigar City beer I’ve tried, and I’ve had well over 50 of their beers. If you ever have the chance to try it, make sure you do. It’s a world class beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
daknole (9466) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 3, 2011
My 100th cigar city beer! Deep dark brown pour, fairly small beige head. Nice fudge, bourbon, vanilla and some oak. Sweet bourbon goodness, fudge, vanilla, toffee...outstanding!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cakanator (452) - South Hadley, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 4, 2011
25oz from CC taproom. Pours a nice black hue with coffee color head. Sweeter aromas with the vanilla from the bourbon. I figured it might be too much, but on the palate it was balanced with the lactic sugar taking over in a pleasent way. Smooth finish, but I think I would have liked to try the regular Imperial Milk next to this one to really see how the bourbon took over because it was lighter than expected. Excellent offering.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
aasher (112) - Fishers, Indiana, USA - MAR 24, 2012
This bottle was acquired in a trade with preismj awhile back. Thanks Matt! This beer pours a medium bodied Milk chocolate brown in color that pools to be more of a dark, dark brown on the verge of black. It has a creamy and soapy beige head that turns into a sticky lacing. The nose features plenty of vanilla bean, creamed coffee, milk chocolate with just a touch of whiskey. The nose is soft and just really well integrated. It’s silky smooth. The flavors feature smooth milk chocolates, cola, vanilla bean, light coffee roast, a touch of bitterness and a mellow whiskey finish. The flavors too are really nice and smooth. They do finish somewhat quickly in the after taste. It drinks medium in body and doesn’t show the abv at all. This is a really nice beer. I’m glad I could try it. I have loved everything that Cigar City has barrel aged, this included.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
michaelinwa (612) - Bothell, Washington, USA - OCT 27, 2012
Black pour, moderate head, fantastic aroma of raisins, dates, malt and whiskey...nice. Flavor is if raisins, dates, whiskey, mild alcohol...really, really nice. Complex but balanced. Full bodied and smooth. This is another really great BA brew from this brewer. I would want this again, and it is one worth trading for.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dcschiller (2207) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - SEP 3, 2011
(750ml bottle that Dak hooked me up with. Thanks my man!). Pours pitch black with a quickly dissipating tan head. Aroma has a beautiful whiskey note-the best Stranahan BA aroma that I’ve smelled yet-along with big vanilla, almost burnt caramel. Taste is sweet with some roast. Full bodied with a sticky/slick texture. Finish is super smooth with some alcohol warmth and a beautiful mix of vanilla, caramel and bourbon flavors. A memorable beer for sure!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 23, 2012
Appearance: black cream – like velvet. Soft khaki head swirls dark and lingers with a clumpy splotch in the middle of a dark abyss.
Nose: malted milk, caramel, vanilla, cream, and melted marshmallow. Chocolate in the back. Like sitting in front of a fireplace with the warmth seeping into your bones while supping on the melted delights of all the above…and I’m not even supping yet. Wowsers! Sweet caramel laced smoke and peat. Fudge and caramel candies. Milk duds.
Palate: creamy with oily notes of peat. More caramel in the back with warmth. Frothy soft whipped cream and marshmallow mouthfeel. Did I mention marshmallows? Malt balls and milk duds melt in the mouth, not in the hands. Warm yet cool ooey gooey melty goodness reveals cigar leaf oils and a tribute to my favorite coffee additive – Kahlua. Fudge underneath. Vanilla cream with more caramel and Kahlua.
Final Thoughts: omg!!!! I should have bought more of these when Laura and I were at the brewery a few months ago. I’m just now getting to my tasting notes, but in recollection it all comes back and, suffice to say, I’m thirsty. Decadence.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Marheb (2302) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 7, 2012
Lactose, fruits vert, caramel et des notes de bourbon habitent un corps riche et souple. Excellente buvabilité.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
sebletitje (6916) - Enghien, BELGIUM - DEC 27, 2014
Bouteille 75cl, anno 2011, merci à Dave - Ibrew2or3 pour la bouteille. Brune foncée, col blanc-cassé. Arôme est profond au niveau de Stranahan. Ce dernier offre des notes superbes de barrique, de malts torréfiés sur un bouquet lactose très prenant. Palais est tout aussi exceptionnel, alternant notes maltées de caramel, pâle, café, chocolat et caramel. La barrique y prend toute sa place avec un whisky tout bonnement sublime. Petite amertume pointe en toute fin de bouche avec un lactose quia douci un peu le tout. Malgré son age, la bière est parfaite avec un rappel à une sorte de crème de whisky.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
darkguardian (725) - Florida, USA - JUL 27, 2011
Pours a pitch black with a light tan head. Nose is intense chocolate, light roast, nice bourbon flavor. Very rich nose. Absolutely fantastic dense milk chocolate up front with light bitterness and tons of bourbon flavors at the end. Heavy rich mouthfeel. This one feels like its about 10.5% but none is listed. Smooth but definitely strong. Really awesome beer.