Cigar City The Ghost of Hunahpu

overall

RATINGS: 11   MEAN: 4.17/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
This "witchís brew" has been aged for several months in Apple Brandy barrels before being moved on top of.....GHOST CHILI PEPPERS!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DialSquare (2663) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 30, 2014
Draft sampled at Hunahpu 2014: smelled mostly like hunahpu with little bit of pepper. tastes pretty normal pepper w/ chocolate boozy stout, but then it gets pretty hot. hard to rate - very interesting, but canít place it above more enjoyable experiences (like something Iíd actually want multiple of). - 7.4

daknole (9114) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 25, 2014
Well I will be damned, this shit is badass. Man oh man. Looks like a normal huna pour. Aroma hits and you get a nice pepper note along with the normal decadent huna aroma. Flavor? Everything is there and then the perfect note of heat from the peppers. Man this is another wow. Hunahpus is just amazing. Thanks CCB.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dchmela (2640) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAR 14, 2014
Thanks to J for the taste. Thick black pour with rocky dark tan head. Aroma is all Hunahpu, chocolate, roasted grain, touches of barrel and hints of pepper. Taste is thick, big bodied with chocolate, roasted grain and hot spicy pepper. Pepper is hot, but well balanced. Bravo!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Beardaxe (169) - - AUG 4, 2013
Holy shit. Super spicy. It burns. A lot. But you keep coming back. Honestly, it's a bit hard to get to the Hunaphu. The peppers are at the front and the star. Still, quite drinkable at 11%. Unique and successful. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DaTimBennett (111) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUL 13, 2013
UPDATED: JUL 18, 2013 Tap. This beer is very Prominent. Smell alot of chocolate, chili, pepper and coffee. Pours motor oil black with very little head. Taste pepper right away. The heat is throughout the beer and it lingers. If there was such a thing of human dragons... this beer will turn you into one (its hot). The chocolate helps and you can tell its a Hunahpu. I suggest drinking just what CCB give you and that is 4oz portions. It would also make a really nice reduction.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jhgrantjr (417) - Tennessee, USA - JUL 12, 2013
To be honest, I do not even know how to rate this beer. I have never had anything like it before. On tap at Cigar City in July 2013. Pours a thick black. The aroma was rich: chocolate, brandy, vanilla. I wish I could try the Hanahpu. But then I tasted it, and although there was a slight thick imperial sweetness, the pepper is strong. I would have said overpowering, but I have not had a beer like this. But the pepper/chili in this beer is the type that makes your eyes water and stomach hurt. So after getting that in my nose and on my palate, I could not taste anything else. My tongue and my lips tingled with that pepper taste for a while. To me, that makes the heat of the beer too much. As it warmed, it was pure heat. I would not call this balanced. Even at 3.5 I think I am higher than I would have rated another beer simply because its Cigar City. However, I will revise this as I try other beers of this variety. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jcartamdg (1987) - Spring Hill, Florida, USA - AUG 29, 2012
Pours jet black with no head. Aroma of brandy, dark chocolate and oak. Taste is pretty amazing, brandy hunahpu all the way then peppers in the back. It's a blindside of heat in a really cool way. I like this a lot ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tricyclist (753) - Florida, USA - JUL 25, 2012
This thing was intense. Only drank half a glass, which was enough. Nose was awesome, rich, chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, toffee. Flavor was rich chocolate, perfect bitter coffee, sweetness just before the peppers kicked in, and spice... Oh the chilis... The spice on this yearís Hunahpuís was lighter than last years to me, so the ghost chiliís were an awesome addition. Not as heavy as Ghost Face Killah, but enough heat to feel it for a couple minutes.

ChiefColdBeer (2) - Florida, USA - JUL 13, 2012 does not count
This is not your average Chile beer. This is hunahpu, aged on Apple brandy then if that was not enough they sat this on ghost peppers. Is you have had a chili beer and didnít like it this one will change your mind. Sweet heat, pours an oily thick richness of hunaphu then spices up with a perfect balance of heat from the pepper and alchohol. I canít stand ghost peppers but this combination works like no other beer in this class. Everything hunahpu has, sweet Carmel, vanilla,malty chocolate with brandy barrel is perfectly balanced against the heat and spice of the ghost pepper. Some chili beers reach for the extreme to try and melt your face. This was not the case here bravo for one of the best beers of 2012.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
burg326 (3704) - Florida, USA - JUL 13, 2012
Sampled at Cigar City, poured a dark black color with aromas of fudge, brandy, wood, and molasses. Those were the aromas for the first second that I took a whiff, then there was a stinging sensation that flared my nostrils, theres the pepper, not just any pepper, but the pepper smell that hurts your stomach. First part of the sip was amazing, light fudge, booze, some molasses, then the peppers kick in and my mouth is in flames. Burning sensation lasted a while, even though the flavor is intense the beer is outstanding, not the best treatment of this beer but pretty good. Hands down the best ghost chili beer I have ever had.