overall

RATINGS: 144   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Imperial Stout aged on kopi luwak coffee, vanilla and cacao nibs

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
callmemickey (2574) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 9, 2011
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2013 A: Dark black-brown body. Thin dark brown collar with a whispy skim. Traces of foam left behind on the glass. S: Dellicate but assertive coffee notes. Light milk chocolate and hints of vanilla and caramel. T: Roasted coffee, chocolate, creamy brownies, and caramel. Well disquised booze. M: Smooth and creamy with moderate carbonation. Fuller bodied, but certainly manageable. O: I havenít had the regular Zhukov to compare this to, but this is clearly a quality imperial stout. Hard to say whether kopi luwak really did much here -- I didnít get much in the way of that earthy coffee note that I have gotten in other kopi luwak beers. Regardless, I enjoyed it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
cheap (3975) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 4, 2011
Thanks to ______, I had an opportunity to try this at the 2nd Pgh Tasting on the 2nd. Iím not telling you who gave me a glass from the screw top bottle because I donít want him to get hatemail because of me! Either way, I was really glad to have the chance to rate a beer that floridians consider one of the best, heheh. First off, my immature palate is not refined enough to be allowed to rate such a refined(?) big beer, so sue me. If you are a lover of CC then take my number and subtract it from 5 and get your real rating. From the beginning I knew this was going to be something else; weird looking screw top squatty bottle with a lable that had hand written FINAL PUSH on it. Pouring into the glass it looks like used 50W shovelhead motor oil. Coating the glass it seems to be staining it dark brown. Smell? Atttack of coffee on the olfactory. Did I say it smells like big coffee espresso? Sorry, I just recovered after hitting my head on the wall behind me. No head. Initially, all I tste in this stuff is big black triple espresso cold. Perhaps there is some alky in there but the flavor is so overwhelming coffee I canít stand it; over the top and way too much personality for this mockery of a beer. I donít know how stuff like this can be considered beer. OK, after my taste buds recover I do taste come tobacco and pepper in there, perhaps. From beginning to end this is nothing new in the coffee stout scene. Yes, special, perhaps but there are so many other beers out there with these characteristics; over the top roto-tilling burnt coffee and a little alky. Finish reminds me of grampaís cold espresso with whiskey in it. Big thanks to the guy, you know who you are, that gave this too me to rate. I am very fortunate to have had the chance to taste this. However, it reminds me of the big let down I experienced when tasting all those top 50 impy stouts when I first started rating beers here.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 3, 2011
Truly pitch black, quick dark dark milk chocolate cover. Aroma is very earthy, soil, roast, light alcohol. Taste is sweet, roast, chocolate, earthy coffee. If the aroma had the chocolate the taste did it would be better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
bvc (1149) - Kenmore, Washington, USA - SEP 1, 2011
32oz growler shared by scrivvv and sent by solan...thanks guys. The appearance of this beer is really something to see. Motor oil black, viscous, coats the glass in a way that turns it to amber tint. Thick rich crema head that is quite possibly the darkest in color Iíve ever seen. In the most simplistic way I can describe it, it is full of rich cold coffee and sweet lactic undertones. Earthy, ashy, toasted nuts, burnt sugar, prunes, dried cherries, some metallic hints. Such a full creamy mouth feel, heavy and dense. Very much rich in coffee and balanced out with the dense malt. Much better than the first growler I had and the sample at gabf last year.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
jrallen34 (3478) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 1, 2011
ccb growler... super dirty motor oil, pours super thick with no head, then a half finger dark tan head rises up for a few seconds to form a thick ring, thick beer lacing... smells great, perfect coffee with a bit of brownies, super rich... tastes perfect with an equal amazing mouthfeel, super thick but in a great way, the taste is unreal, perfect mix of coffee that is roasty and rich with a lot chocolate... one of the best stouts out there period... after drinking more than 8 ounces this becomes super tough to drink. Originally a 4.7.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
brokensail (10645) - Orange County, California, USA - AUG 31, 2011
A: The beer pours thick and black with a somewhat small mocha head. S: Enormous amounts of coffee on this one. Tons of roasted malt and chocolate with more and more coffee. A nice vanilla note as well as a touch of caramel and toffee. T: Vanilla and roasted malt make a brief appearance before being usurped by the incredibly powerful coffee flavors. Some creamy dark chocolate along with a touch of caramel sweetness. M: Medium to full bodied with a smooth feel on the tongue. O: Just awesome. Easily the best Cigar City beer Iíve had.

ksurkin (1021) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - AUG 29, 2011
32oz growler most generously sent by Beerlando. thanks, Bryan! rated a couple days ago but entered as rating #999 of my journey to #1000. pours a beautifully decadent, oily, jet-black with a rich, dark, cinnamon/rusty brown head with perfect retention and sticky rings of lace. aroma is unlike any beer iíve ever experienced. absolutely stunning with the most intense, rich, world class espresso, charred french roast, fruity, freshly harvested coffee beans, and a touch of spiced, mexican blend and backed by elegant, pure dark chocolate, toasted hazelnuts, and hints of vanilla with subtle notes of cinnamon and topsoil as it warms in my CCB snifter. i literally spent 10 minutes savoring the aroma before taking a sip! so long, in fact, LJ started laughing at me and sheís seen me rate hundreds of beers before this one. flavor is almost indescribable. just on a completely different level than mere mortal imperial coffee stouts with a massive onslaught of rich espresso, freshly roasted $100/lb coffee, and bitter, slightly fruity, spent grinds with a sublime balance offerred by rich, semi-sweet fudge, vanilla, and subtle molasses with hints of fresh cinnamon, dark fruits, and cigar ash on the back end. palate is nothing short of perfect. i mean, this "shit" drinks like a damn frappacino with a silky, slick texture, perfect carbonation, and the most intense, chocolate, roasted coffee finish iíve ever experienced. overall, truly a sublime beer. no way i can rate this any less that a perfect 5 as itís definitely one of the absolute best beers iíve ever tasted.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
BMan1113VR (7835) - Los Angeles, California, USA - AUG 29, 2011
Growler shared by hophead84 at Woodshop6. Pitch black pour that is extremely glass coating with a small iodine head. Looks good as do most CCB stouts. Aromas are strongly of coffee. To the point of being a bit peppery. Earthy, spicy coffee notes, chocolate, fudge, alcohol. A bit sweet. Flavors are very bitter chocolate and roast. Some coffee notes as well. Big syrupy and warming mouthfeel. Coating. Tasty, but I preferred the coffee notes in Kopi Speedway quite a bit more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
1FastSTi (3334) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 18, 2011
Sampled side by side with the Penultimate. Pretty much the same beer, but I thought it was too mellow. I didnít realize that the coffee was super high end. I didnít get a whole lot of coffee in this one, unfortunately. Rich chocolate and roasted malts. A nice beer that Iíd love to try again. Thanks Kan!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wavers1 (872) - Notown, California, USA - AUG 17, 2011
growler courtesy of askdrtodd, thanks a ton! wow! what a beer. this really is a top notch stout, no way around it. beautiful pour, took some good height to achive a good head, and the beer is by no means lacking of carb in the body afterwards. the body is very very viscous, super oily, dark brown head with long lasting cascading action and decent lacing and spotting, beautiful beer. the coffee is the star of the show through and through in this beer, hands down. huge roasty aroma, tons of chocolate, delicious. the taste and body are incredible. tastes like a mocha milkshake, super creamy carbonation and very thick full body. what a terrific beer. i really am blown away by this, its been a minute since ive had a stout of this caliber. this is as good as surly four was fresh. worth the hype when in top form.