Circus Fantôme

Formerly brewed at Brasserie Fantôme
Style: Saison
Soy-Erezée, Belgium
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 94   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Brewed for Croydon Beer Circus, London.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dunt (283) - Illinois, USA - JUL 8, 2014
Reviewed from notes. Bottled purchased from a private cellar, really happy to find this bottle. I’ve loved the artwork since I first saw it. Shared at Fantomefest 2014. Poured a dark, murky brown in color with a half fingers worth of soapy off-white head. Nose is somewhat oxidized, with a fair amount of chocolate malt and berry sweetness. Flavor is likewise slightly oxidized with a good amount of backing maltiness. It is lightly tart with just a touch of metallic and orange to it. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Didnt quite live up to my expectations, but a real treat to share with everyone. Very privileged to find one of these in the wild at this point.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
t0rin0 (62) - Do Not Resuscitate, California, USA - AUG 24, 2011
Notes from Fantome tasting June 2010. Pours dark orange with a small beige head that lasts a bit. Aroma is of berries, sugar, chocolatey oxidation, and citrus. Flavor is citrusy with a good amount of sweetness, some musty funk, and some oxidation. Lightish body.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAY 21, 2009
There lies in Belgium a little brewery hamlet by the name Fantome. All of their beer bottles are graced by the visage of a mysterious, maybe even a little mischievous, ghost, or Fantome. Do you see where I am going with this? The Belgium Brewery Fantome is on the cutting edge of brewing in Belgium which leads me to two wholly different conclusions: they are brewing in olden traditions passed down for centuries; or they are brewing new traditions with age-old ideas. The brewery is supposedly haunted by the Fantome for which the brewery is named. Maybe there is a little ghostly magic in the works. Whatever it may be, Fantome concocts some of the wildest, most complex beers in Belgium.

Cloudy. Earthen brown. Hazy, resembling dirty laundry water. Not much head to speak of, but that is to be expected for some of the tarter saisons. A ringlet decorates while her nose reaches out, grabs hold of my senses, and drags me into her sumptuous depths. Spiced holiday bread, cinnamon, cumin, lavender, raisins, maple and crunchy, crystallized caramelized sugar, mint and candy cane, prunes and dates, and a solid backbone of dry, sour funk, and wood. I could smell my Beer Circus all day long, but then I would be doing a disservice to the brew inside, and I can’t have that. My first thirsty quaff is clean with sour and tart dry funk pervading my pores, seeping into my flesh, and mutating into a huge, silly grin of pleasure. Did I mention I love sour ales? Tart peaches and nectarines with their crisp, fuzzy, dry skin adding an extra punch. Heavy, spiced breads, slightly dry and crumbly while maple adds a fragile layer of sweetness. Chunky dregs stare seductively at me from the bottom of my glass while leather, earth and wood along with dank, dark barnyard funk fills my breath long into her finish. A few more savory sips and sweet, juicy dates mingle with the candied, dry fruit commonly associated with that enemy of man, fruit cake. All this might sound like a horribly balanced mish-mash of flavors, but the Beer Circus from Fantome is clean, crisp, and bracingly refreshing with each exciting flavor harmoniously mingling with the other. She doesn’t scorch my palate with dryness, but there is some nonetheless which only encourages me to savor each quenching quaff. As I reach those luscious dregs, I close my eyes for our final embrace: bliss.

Fantome is one of those Belgian breweries that I will always look forward to tasting. It’s almost as if each bottle is brimming with a whole world of flavors, textures, aromas, and surprises that even if one had a lifetime to take it all in, you couldn’t. For me, and for Fantome, that is a beautiful thing, indeed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - APR 13, 2009
Courtesy TheCheeseMan. Slightly cloudy dark brown pour with a thick khaki head. Moderate funk, some sweetness, light dusty notes, some sweetness. The barnyard qualities on the taste are tempered by some sweet dark fruity notes, a different path for a Fantome. Very nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BlackForestCO (976) - Aurora, Colorado, USA - MAR 15, 2009
Bottle from moejuck, thanks Joe! Poured a bright rusty orange color with a 1/4 inch beige head that faded to a bubbly layer and left some spotty lacing. Some bright, funky citrus (orange flesh, tangerine, and a light berry) on the nose with some moderate barnyard grassiness and a soft yeastiness. Moderately sweet, lightly tart entry with some soft citrus (light lemon and a bit of lime skin) that transitioned into a lightly grassy barnyard yeastiness with a faint floral hoppiness finishing with some tartness paired with a drying oak. Soft carbonation and nice mouthfeel. A very nice beer from Fantome, I wish I had some more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - MAR 14, 2009
Pros: Really nice aroma (blueberry, mint, pepper, herb, barn.) Sweet, well extracted, very nice balance. Nice appearance. Lots of taste.

Cons: It’s weird. A little light in body. A bit oxidized.

The best Fantome I’ve had in some time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GodOfThunder (1247) - Orlando, Florida, USA - FEB 19, 2009
Special thanks to Cheeseman for sharing a rarity from one of my favorite breweries. Aroma is caramel and funk. Flavor follows suit, with barnyard funk, sweet caramel and just a bit of autumn spice. Another great Fantome beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
smith4498 (2988) - Miami, Florida, USA - FEB 15, 2009
Bottle shared by TheCheeseMan. Pours hazy caramel color with off white head. Sweet caramel malt aroma with some Fantome funkiness. Funky yeast flavor with fruit, spices, pepper and tartness. Medium body with mild carbonation and a dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
juiceisloose (1055) - Windermere, Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2009
Courtesy TheCheeseMan. Pours a dark orange color with a small off white head. Tons of sudsy lacing surround the glass. The aroma shows some citrus fruit, spices, and lots of funky yeast. The flavor follows with the fruits and spices leading more toward the sour side to go with the funky yeast, and a grainy malt backbone. Medium bodied with good carbonation with a dry, and tart finish. Nice stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Travlr (9998) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - DEC 22, 2008
1 pint 9 4 oz bottle. Cloudy red brown, explosive head that shot the cork across the bar. Light tan head. Aroma of pumpernickel bread and yeast. Taste of German black bread with sour finish. Incredible,