overall

RATINGS: 227   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A deep, dark stout with lots of rich and hearty roasted barley flavor, and even some notes of dried fruit if you've got a discerning enough palate...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
JCW (1274) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2003
When I popped the top off of this beer, it sprayed the ceiling the floor, two sets of cabinets. So I started a little hack off to begin with. After it settled, I is the color of black coffee. Burnt aroma, flavor has alot of coffee and nuts. I really liked the flavor, it reminded me somewhat of Speedway Stout. Finish was slightly bitter. Lower marks in the overall reflect my distain for the mess I had to clean up. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to rate this Mittenstein.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
CaptainCougar (7129) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - MAY 15, 2003
Pitch black with a monsterous head ~ 90% foam which leaves a thin fizzy lace behind. Strong bitter hoppy aroma. Big roasted, almost burnt flavor with some chocolatey nuances and a touch of molasses. Light fizzy mouthfeel. No noticeable alcohol even with the relatively high abv. Good foreign stout, but would have been better with less carbonation and more complexity.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jskendzel (602) - Washington DC, USA - MAY 14, 2003
LOTS of foam initially--had to wait for a while before it subsided. First impression is a very malty bitterness. Definitely heavy usage of black and chocolate malts. Leaves a very dry feeling in the palate. Interesting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - APR 29, 2003
Dark roasted coffee color with an enormous, creamy head. After the first pour, the beer left in the 750 ml bottle began slowly bubbling over the lip of the bottle. Mild aromas include dark roasted coffee and creamy chocolate. Flavors include coffee and creamy milk chocolate which create a silky smooth - yet full - body & mouthfeel. Very rich, full flavored and enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - NOV 19, 2002
Looked like bad news when I opened the bottle: hugest rush of suds I have ever seen, I mean ever! It just burst forth and spewec all over my arm, the counter and sink (luckily where I opened it -- I’ve learnd!) and I was so shocked that it took me 10 seconds to get my glass under it. It kept spewing! What gives? Nose seems ok, nicely chocolaty with some winey characteristics and a hint of roasted beans. Flavor very good, too, with a great balance throughout. Bittersweet chocolate, roasted grain, espresso are all there, and the mouthfeel is wonderful. I gotta go with the low rating on appearance though for now -- that head and that rush of suds was just too much.

Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 15, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2004 Great stout! This brewery makes exceptional beer. I'm re-rating from memory, but I just had a Rochefort 10, so beers need to be bumped.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 17, 2001
Big roasted grain nose, black in color, huge chocolate head and tons of lace. Moderate carbonation, toasted grains at the front, full and sweet at the top, and a hop bitter somewhat dry finish. Rich and creamy and a medium body, excellent Stout, another winner from this most excellent brewery, thanks VENOM.