overall

RATINGS: 103   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.52   ABV: -
Brewed at former G. Heileman flagship plant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
dekester1 (309) - Neenah, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 18, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2010 Poured a pale yellow-gold color with a decent head that slowly faded to lace. Aroma was slightly sweet of malts and grains. Taste was similar with malts beginning with a slight sweetness. Corn and grains could be detected in the background with a light hop finish. Palate was decent. Overall, I was a bit surprised how nice a smooth this stuff was. The can said it was fully Krausened, which I would believe. Overall a nice surprise considering how cheap this stuff is.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 3/20
RapeBeer (21) - Indiana, USA - AUG 11, 2010
As you can see, I am a strong advocate of cheap pale lagers. They catch a lot of flak, but in reality, they are important beers. For most of us in America and Canada, a shitty pale lager was probably our first beer. They have fueled more parties and made more family reunions bearable than any other style of beer. La Crosse lager, how ever is one beer that cannot get my gutter-punk seal of approval. On a school training trip to La Crosse, WI, I thought it appropriate to sample the cityís own beer. At $8 a case (in La Crosse at least), it was an easy buy, but the drinking was another story. Even chilled down in a hotel sink filled with ice, my first sip of this runoff was a shock to my system. It was sickeningly sweet, like many of its bargain brother are, but with a repulsive after taste. Chugging (my weapon of choice against bad beers) was useless against this vile brew. After nearly ten minutes, I finished my last sip. Later that day, we passed by the City Brewery (which is guilty of brewing this junk), which claims to have "The Worldís Biggest 6-Pack" (six large brewery silos dressed up to look like La Crosse tallboys). Already drunk off of delicious Pearl Street Brewery beers, I had my buddy pull over for pictures of the "6-Pack". I didnít have a camera. I just wanted to piss on homeland of this vile beer. Avoid at all costs unless economic conditions leave you no choice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Acknud (1078) - Morganfield, Kentucky, USA - MAY 13, 2010
Not as bad as I was led to believe. Just another pale lager. Corn aroma and taste. A little malty.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
pkbites (674) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 5, 2010
Standard macro looking pour (piss yellow with white head). Head dies after a few minutes, but does leave some lacing on the glass. Grassy nose with some metallic scents. This is allegedly brewed under the same recipe as Heilemanís Old Style (kraeusened, etc.) but it doesnít taste exactly the same. This has a metallic flavor and more hoppyness in the finish/aftertaste than Heilemanís Old Style. Other than that it has some sweetness to it with lemon grass notes. Iím going to rate this slightly below Heilemanís Old Style (the kraeusened version) though for a cheap beer (paid 12.49 for a 30 pack @ Woodmans on 005/05/10) this isnít too shabby. I would rate this a full 1.5 points higher (3.7 out of 5) if it werenít for the metallic taste/nose. The lower carbonation makes it a good slamming brew, and ice cold it is refreshing. A good mowing beer I guess. (donít forget to pour some on the lawn. Iíve read that the malt & hops are actually good for the grass!).

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
drdisque (510) - Illinois, USA - MAR 26, 2010
Has a flavor. hint of hops tempered by cheap malt. mildly murky finish. not overly carbonated like so many others. decent

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Tripplebrew (775) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - FEB 28, 2010
Pours a clear lemon yellow with quite a bit of white head that quickly dissipates to a light coating and light lacing. Aroma is a mix of bread and hay with grassy notes. Flavor is rather floral with bread and nut flavors. Body is very light with a lot of carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jayson2425 (167) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - MAY 27, 2009
Good cheap beer. Golden color with kind of a unique aftertaste. Still not as good as blatz

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
keepersj12 (2664) - Sicklerville, New Jersey, USA - MAY 2, 2009
Funny how circumstances can affect your view. I had this ice cold from a friends cooler after reffing a soccer game on a hot night. At the time it was very tasty. Not much aroma but a honey sweet taste that went down easy.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
JorisPPattyn (7818) - Antwerpen, BELGIUM - MAR 12, 2009
Corn-yellow/gold beer; somewhat fluffy off-white head, not very stable. Metallic-grassy nose, even a bit like sewage water - otherwise said, pretty unappetizing. Unpleasant, slightly lemony-sour and very metallic taste, plus a flavour as from decaying grass. light, watery, fizzy, but the aggressive flavour keeps coming. Ugh! Txs to DavidA - I guess ;^}

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 10/20
Haagnbus922 (7) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 15, 2009 does not count
All, I have to say is it comes in a 30 pack for $9 and I can drink all 30 without a buzz! It is my water of choice!