overall

RATINGS: 567   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Hoppy Feet has been lovingly crafted by combining premium malt with lots of Amarillo and Columbus hops.
Grapefruit and Pine are balanced on the nose and on the palate by a nutty, dark chocolate, roasted backbone.

branlovesbeer's rating

branlovesbeer (11) - South Carolina, USA - JUL 17, 2012
Cost from Total Wine in Upstate SC: 22oz Bottle: $5.99 Bottle Code: Located on the label, just under the bar code. It reads, "Bottle On 10/11". There is no need for an internet search or to send emails or phone calls to the brewery in order to have them translate the code in their own style of the Julian calendar (which I’ve noticed many breweries have their own variation of this). The Pour: I have to be honest. I had to pour the beer twice. The first time, I wasn’t recording because I forgot to hit the record button. But the head took over like a bullet shooting out of a gun. Nearly 4 fingers of head. But on the second try, there wasn’t as much head formation. Only about 1 finger that dissipated quickly. Look: Black as night... except... I can see into the beer, just under the head and streaming bubbles are obvious. It’s clearly filtered because I can see the bubbles clearly up to about an inch into the glass. But to be clear, I can only see into the beer only 1/2 a centimeter under the surface where the light shines through. The head that formed was nice and creamy. While it dissipates, if I swirl the beer around, it forms a nice creamy layer. It’s a very appetizing look. It is a beautiful beer. Aroma: Lots of roasty malts. It smells like a porter or stout. The smell of prunes and dates comes through, as well as some tobacco notes. It smells really good. I’m getting a hop spice, but I honestly couldn’t tell you if it’s piney or citrusy. It’s just a blended hop spice. I’ve noticed this is a common problem with dark IPA’s. No matter how many hops you put in, they are just very subdued by the dark malts. That is my experience from tasting other black IPA’s as well as my homebrew experience. I brewed a black IPA last year. 5 gal batch with 1.5lbs Chocolate, a few ounces of various crystals and 9 ounces of hops ranging from Magnum to Cascade with 3oz of Cascade to dry hop. And it ended up tasting very similar to Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet. It was one of the best beers I’ve ever brewed but it wasn’t what I was going for. Taste: I’m having the same problems tasting the hops as I did smelling them. It’s nice a hop spice, but I honestly couldn’t tell you if it’s piney or citrusy. It’s just a blended hop spice. Granted it definitely more prevalent than in the aroma. Now, the Roasted Malts and the hops are well blended. One does not over power the other. It’s a perfect combination. I’m not getting the prune/date/raisin taste that I got in the aroma. It’s there but it’s not hitting you in the face like it was in the aroma. Overall, it’s really tasty. Worth the Money: At $5.99 for a 22oz bottle, that is a little steep. I, personally would price this at a maximum of $4.99, although I’d like for it to be a little less. I’ve had Black IPA’s that have been comparable to this that have cost less. Will I buy another one? Yes. I probably will, but I’m going to look to see if I can find a lower price. Verdict: This beer has everything going for it. If you’re a dark beer lover; this is your beer. If you’re a hoppy IPA lover; this is your beer. Neither one completely takes over the character of this beer. There’s a little bit of both. It’s really enjoyable. If you’re looking for a dark beer, you can sit down and have one of these. If you’re looking for a hoppy beer, you can also sit down and have one of these. This is really good. This is one of my favorite Black IPA’s that I’ve ever tasted. I gave this an ’A’. This is a good Black IPA. It’s got the dark roasted malts. It’s got the hop aroma and flavor that you want from an IPA. Everything is blended nicely. It’s a very very tasty beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
weark (399) - Morges, SWITZERLAND - APR 12, 2015
Bouteille achetée chez Erzbierschof - De couleur noir avec une mousse beige abondante, on dirait une mousse de café - Au nez des arômes de café qui se mélange à des arômes de grapfruits, malt rôti, houblon résineus, une pointe de sauce soja, un nez très agréable - En bouche en premier du malt rôti, café, puis des note résineuse et fruitée du houblon(grapefruit) - Corp moyen, grosse amertume, bonne carbonation, longue final sur le café et grapefruit - j’apprécie beaucoup les black IPA et celle ci est vraiment très équilibrée, bonne amertume, bonne présence des houblon mais pas exagérée, excellent

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Patrik (349) - - APR 2, 2015
Flaska. Mycket fina IPA dofter . Jordkällare lite kaffe å liite choklad . Smakar milt lättsamt torrt. Ja tydliga kaffetoner. Lågt = bra kolsyrad . Bra IPA men lite mesig i förhållande till alkoholhalten tyvär.,

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
tectactoe (2937) - Michigan, USA - MAR 28, 2015
Bottle: Dark brown, nearly black body with a creamy, light-tan head. Big milk chocolate aroma with undertones of toasted nuts, pine, ash, & orange peel. Little more bitter grapefruit on the palate with a strong ashy pungency. Roast, ashed malt, bitter chocolate, citrus rind, pine needles, & a strong botanical note in the finish that leads to a bit of astringency. Overall, not a bad black IPA, but the semi-harsh finish takes away from the smoothness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
AndyReynolds (1017) - Dayton, Kentucky, USA - MAR 26, 2015
Draft at Yardhouse. Aroma is citrus chocolate (is there such a thing?). I get a little of that medicinal aroma and some roasted malts fo sho. Flavor is odd, but good. Plus the palate is outstanding.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
fiulijn (15990) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 23, 2015
Tasting at Matt’s; vintage 2014
Black color, medium sized compact head. Very nice aroma, dark malts, buckwheat. The mouthfeel is strong, dry, but also smooth; strong flavor of roasted malt, a bit too ashy for me, but followed by the expected high resin hopping. Matt says chalky and I agree.
Very good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mcberko (8287) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 17, 2015
12 oz. bottle, pours black with a medium beige head. Nose is very chalky, with roasted malt and pine. Flavour is better, with a good balance of roasted malt and piney hops, with low astringency and a dry finish. Well-balanced, with a slight chalkiness that is more pronounced on the nose.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ferris (6746) - Burnaby, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 17, 2015
Bottle - Roast malts and some piny notes. Jet black brown with a decent brown head. Dark roast and piny hops. Decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cunningham (5230) - Halden, NORWAY - MAR 16, 2015
Black pour with a solid big creamy beige head. Nice lacing. Coffee, fruity and grapefruit hoppy aroma. Full body. Tad sweet and a fine bitterness. Average to soft carbonation with a creamy texture. Coffee, chocolate, roasted, mild pine and grapefruit hoppy flavor. Tasty little (big) devil.
[Bottle from Bottle Shop - Druid Street in London, England]

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jado (614) - Camp Hill, AUSTRALIA - MAR 12, 2015
From 345 ml bottle. Pours a solid black with a hint of a brown highlight at the very edge and a thin tan head. Aromas of pine needles, lemon zest, coffee and a little char. Taste is much the same with the pine and lemon up front and the coffee flavours toward the back end. The hop flavours are certainly more prominent than the roast. Finishes rather like a regular IPA with a zesty, lightly bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
smboselli (118) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 7, 2015
Very good, but not my favorite black IPA. Well put together but the flavor profile was boring ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone