overall

RATINGS: 178   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   EST. CALORIES: 231   ABV: 7.7%
Walking a fine line of sweet malt and assertive hop character. A hop presence so enticing it truly is a work of art. Ingredients: two-row*, Munich* & caramel 20* malts, pacific gems* , centennial & cascades hops, ale yeast and tripled filtered water. *organic

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
mattvervack (28) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 15, 2010
I feel like I must have gotten a different beer from everybody else. My sister and brother in law love this beer and told me and other sis to go to Poeís on Sullivans Island (cool place!) and drink the Coast IPA. What showed up in our glasses was a big disappointment, it was thick and murky, like Inishuk IPA, couldnít see anything through it. Please people, learn the art of brewing! My sister had a couple sips and pronounced she couldnít drink it so I had herís, not cause I wanted it but I didnt want to waste the money! The taste and aroma had elements of a good beer but it was completely let down by the appearance and lack of drinkability. I would not order another one. We could have had a bad keg but the other reviewers noted its cloudiness, may be it doesnt bother other people.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
philvil (176) - Massachusetts, USA - SEP 26, 2010
Is this a pliny the elder clone? They must use a very similar hop blend because the aroma is spot on. Interesting style that I havenít seen from an east coast brew

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - SEP 6, 2010
Draught sample at the brewery. Pours hazy brass orange with nice whitish head. The aroma is juicy citrus hops with orange and grapefruit dominating; a bit of floral and sweet aroma lingers behind. The flavor is semi-bitter with lots of juicy hop taste and some woodiness. Most of the hops come across as grapefruit. There is a bit of white raisin sweetness to the malt backbone. Herbal bitterness characterizes the finish. Fresh and tasty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MosesMendoza (30) - South Carolina, USA - AUG 27, 2010
citrus and pine resin hops. rich color. taste is citrus, bitter, but also malty and full. Really nice strong IPA

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
MaBeer1972 (1390) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 22, 2010
Medium amber colored brew with a fruity-floral aroma. Very fresh tasting and quite drinkable. I didnít even notice the 7.7. Well done!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
regspeir (199) - Havertown, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 8, 2010
22 oz. bottle (courtesy of BrewerDan) into a standard pint glass. Poured a cloudy light copper color with a large off-white head which settled slowly and left a nice amount of lacing. Nose was citrus (grapefruit, apricot, pineapple and orange) with some floral notes. Taste had hints of caramel, brown sugar, and citrus but was pretty slanted toward dry and bitter. There was an odd musty flavor that I didnít care for. Body is medium, resinous and sticky. Alcohol is well hidden. I guess my previous encounter with Boy King set too high a standard but, for whatever the reason, this was a disappointment. I will try it again since there is always a chance I got a bad bottle but...I wonít go out of my way for it.

fata2683 (2176) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 8, 2010
bottle pours hazy orange with a medium off white head. Assertive pine hop nose. Very nice nutty malt character. Semi-sweet with a heavy dose of cascade and pine hops finishing dry.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drowland (6575) - Georgia, USA - JUL 30, 2010
7/23/10. Big thanks to darn1207 for sharing! Nice fresh hop aroma that I really dig. The flavor is maltier and a bit sweet, but there is some nice tropical fruity hops in there as well. Nice!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
dpjuart (1092) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 28, 2010
Bottle from Growlers on HHI. Pours clear orange with golden hues, frothy, off white head leaving good lacing. Nose is piny and grassy hops with some resiny notes and a touch of grapefruit. Sweet caramel up front with a good dose of bitter, dry and clinging, mildly resiny hops, grass, pine, lemon, some pepper. Another solid IPA from the SE.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
sebletitje (7134) - Enghien, BELGIUM - JUL 17, 2010
courtesy of tpd975 for the share. hazy golden pour aroma and flavors, lots of good pine hops, grainy and malty, overall, profile keeps a mild spicy hop mouthfeel with a good malty balance balancing most of the hop bitterness. Pretty straightforward but it works, a solid IPA.