overall
Brewed by Coopers Brewery
Style: Low Alcohol
Regency Park, South Australia, Australia

RATINGS: 38   MEAN: 1.4/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.57   EST. CALORIES: 15   ABV: 0.5%
Birell is a premium brewed malt beverage with virtually no alcohol. It's brewed under licence in Australia by Coopers to a Swiss recipe, using only the finest Australian malted barley, hops and yeast. With no artificial additives or preservatives and negligible alcohol, you can never have too much of this delicious brew.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
madquacker (1069) - Canberra ACT, AUSTRALIA - MAY 16, 2008
Sweetish, flatish and malty with a reddish hue. Not really a beer in my view but anyway. Left me with a strong craving for alcohol. Strange for a strong brewer like coopers to be making this. Is it that profitable?

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
jkm (220) - AUSTRALIA - MAR 8, 2008
An alcohol free beer that is actually superior to many of the low alcohol beers on the market. Not great but not bad.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Thylacine (526) - Tasmania, AUSTRALIA - FEB 19, 2008
Clear gold colour with a decent white head. Refreshing with a typical beery taste. A little bit on the sweet side but some biterness is present. I didn’t think I would like it but it was actually quite drinkable given what it is. If I needed to avoid alcohol for whatever reason then I’d drink this before many other low alcohol beers.

1.4
   AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
bridge (659) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - SEP 11, 2007
Sweet smelling with a big coconut milk aroma. Flavour is basically non-existent. Some more coconut mil on tasting. No depth whatsoever - could easily be used as a palate cleanser. A bit of a fizzy buzz on the tip of the tongue. Although not offensive, there is no reason to drink this beer. If you need to go alcohol free, drink water.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
entilzah (1) - AUSTRALIA - FEB 3, 2007 does not count
coopers brand in aus under lience wasnt to bad not quiet like the real brews very hoppy taste and aroma and no vegy taste as said by others

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
lordhumungus (14) - AUSTRALIA - NOV 20, 2006
Not too foul considering it’s alcohol free (or virtually) - my eith year old loves it!

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
winkle (476) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - FEB 25, 2006
Bottled. The neighbour gave me one of these. Not as disgusting as I had expected - some malty presence with other adjuncts and cardboard. Now would I go out and buy one?, hmmm nope.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
PeterO (2) - Canberra, AUSTRALIA - OCT 10, 2005 does not count
If you put this into a different mental class of beverages I think its winner. Compared with my favourite beers I wouldnt opt for this on every occassion, but it is manufactured/brewed for a different purpose and I think it achieves its goals admirably. I’ll be keeping a case of this nearby to intersperse through long hot days, and to share with my pregnant wife.

1.2
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
DuffMan (7622) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 29, 2005
I bought one bottle of this just to try it, but my father-in-law drank it before I got home from work. He said it was "alright"-- light and malty, but refreshing. I’m basing my rating on his experience, plus the fact that any beer with no alcohol automatically gets negative one bizillion points.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
ALLOVATE (2549) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JUL 6, 2005
Had to sample this one after finding it on the site. Knowing I had passed it in the drinks aisle of the local Cole’s supermarket for years and even with the Cooper’s insignia on the label I was still a little apprehensive to buy it. My last brewed soft drink was Bintang Zero (won’t be rushing out to buy that one again) and the thought of a repeat made me squeamish. Despite the ratings below I personally didn’t find this one to be too offensive an effort. Tasted from the can (re- highlandlad) and poured into the a tallboy glass. The most impressive this beer would get was in appearance in the glass. Brilliant gold with fairly fine carbonation raising a ½" of white fluffy foam. Head lasted the distance and laced rings down the glass. Anyone watching would swear you were drinking a full-strength at the pub, and would be none the wiser. Aroma was a let down, dank and yeasty stale, tinny and a little sweaty sock for complexity. Thankfully cleaner in the mouth as the nose was disagreeable. Tasted cool, it had a sweetness to it reminiscent of fresh wort with light malt flavours mid-palate, and a little cantaloupe and lemon in the back, before finishing off with an abrupt crisp swallow. Light bodied (oddly filling in the stomach) and medium in carbonation it was quite subtle and became more and more drinkable as I downed it. Not good, not bad, considering the alcohol level.