overall
Brewed by Coopers Brewery
Style: Low Alcohol
Regency Park, South Australia, Australia

RATINGS: 32   MEAN: 1.34/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.62   EST. CALORIES: 15   ABV: 0.5%
Birell is a premium brewed malt beverage with virtually no alcohol. It's brewed under licence in Australia by Coopers to a Swiss recipe, using only the finest Australian malted barley, hops and yeast. With no artificial additives or preservatives and negligible alcohol, you can never have too much of this delicious brew.

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
winkle (476) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - FEB 25, 2006
Bottled. The neighbour gave me one of these. Not as disgusting as I had expected - some malty presence with other adjuncts and cardboard. Now would I go out and buy one?, hmmm nope.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
PeterO (2) - Canberra, AUSTRALIA - OCT 10, 2005 does not count
If you put this into a different mental class of beverages I think its winner. Compared with my favourite beers I wouldnt opt for this on every occassion, but it is manufactured/brewed for a different purpose and I think it achieves its goals admirably. Iíll be keeping a case of this nearby to intersperse through long hot days, and to share with my pregnant wife.

1.2
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
DuffMan (6514) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 29, 2005
I bought one bottle of this just to try it, but my father-in-law drank it before I got home from work. He said it was "alright"-- light and malty, but refreshing. Iím basing my rating on his experience, plus the fact that any beer with no alcohol automatically gets negative one bizillion points.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
ALLOVATE (2349) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JUL 6, 2005
Had to sample this one after finding it on the site. Knowing I had passed it in the drinks aisle of the local Coleís supermarket for years and even with the Cooperís insignia on the label I was still a little apprehensive to buy it. My last brewed soft drink was Bintang Zero (wonít be rushing out to buy that one again) and the thought of a repeat made me squeamish. Despite the ratings below I personally didnít find this one to be too offensive an effort. Tasted from the can (re- highlandlad) and poured into the a tallboy glass. The most impressive this beer would get was in appearance in the glass. Brilliant gold with fairly fine carbonation raising a Ĺ" of white fluffy foam. Head lasted the distance and laced rings down the glass. Anyone watching would swear you were drinking a full-strength at the pub, and would be none the wiser. Aroma was a let down, dank and yeasty stale, tinny and a little sweaty sock for complexity. Thankfully cleaner in the mouth as the nose was disagreeable. Tasted cool, it had a sweetness to it reminiscent of fresh wort with light malt flavours mid-palate, and a little cantaloupe and lemon in the back, before finishing off with an abrupt crisp swallow. Light bodied (oddly filling in the stomach) and medium in carbonation it was quite subtle and became more and more drinkable as I downed it. Not good, not bad, considering the alcohol level.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - MAY 28, 2005
2005 AIBA Sample. Kind of looked like a beer but otherwise this is just water. I am so glad I didnít pay to get this rating.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
highlandlad (1413) - Blue Mountains, AUSTRALIA - MAR 5, 2005
This is the Australian-brewed version of Swiss firm Hurlimannís Birell "Ultra Light Beer". In fact, at 0.5%, itís classified in Oz as a "brewed soft drink", which means itís the only íbeerí sold in supermarkets. It sells in cans and bottles, but the bottles were only available in six-packs, so the sample is from a can. Pale gold colour with a huge rocky head that left some lace and hung around much longer than many superior brews. Credit where itís due, it actually looked very good. The aroma, however, is predictably thin, but some agitation produced a little light, fruity malt. Palate is also predictably weedy and it has that awful wet cardboard and corn character. Canít imagine any situation where I would drink this. Erdinger Weissbier Alkoholfrei, also available occasionally in Australia, is a much better ultra-light. (Can, Best before 27/11/05)

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
bluevegie (3051) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JAN 22, 2005
I had absolutely nothing else new to sample for what seemed like weeks when I purchased this beer even then it stayed in the fridge for a while before I finally relented and gave it a go. Well my verdict is that I gave it a go and wonít be trying it again. It wasnít horrible or anything and it had a lot of beer characters, good golden colour, Hop nose (stale) , corn lager body but that was all it had going for it.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
thehipone (197) - AUSTRALIA - OCT 13, 2004
Not bad for a N.A. beer. Pretty light gold-yellow in color and very light on the palate. Not much in the way of hop flavor. Had a grainy taste that reminded me of cereal.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Trogdor (196) - Cairns, AUSTRALIA - JUL 9, 2004
bread, molasses, hay, slightly nutty aroma, light flowery hops, a little musty. light yellow, spare diminishing white head, clear and sparkling with medium carbonation. short, a little sweet, a bit cardboardy, slightly floral. light bitterness, thin and light with average carbonation. drinkable, I got it just for the experience and was actually surprised, it wasnít terrible, just not good.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Nemo (100) - Fremantle, AUSTRALIA - JUN 25, 2004
Yellow-urine colouring with a weak short lasting head. I think the description of the colouring should have been an immediate give-away in this case. Watery with a hint of sweetness and hop. A substitute beer with an alcohol % of only 0.5.