overall

Style: Abbey Dubbel
Turnhout, Belgium

RATINGS: 1485   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Bottle conditioned.
Marketed as Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale in North America.
Launched 1982 by Jef Keersmaekers as Pater Noster. Brewed by Brasserie Du Bocq since launch.
Ingredients: Caramel, Pilsen and Munich barley malts, and Saaz, Kent and Hallertau hops
Brewed with roasted malt, hence its deep dark reddish colour. It is a mellow, dark, top-fermented beer, refermented and matured in the bottle to obtain a lively, bubbly beer with a rich head

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dalle (1145) - Skørping, DENMARK - OCT 5, 2003
Large light-brown head. Dark red-brown colour. Apple and dough aroma. Highly carbonated, sweet, litlle acidic. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - OCT 4, 2003
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2003 Whole lot of head on this one, very carbonated. Nice deep reddish-brown color. Yeasty malty aroma with dark fruits (raisins, plums) and maybe a little bit of spice. Flavor is sweet with some of the dark fruit that I found in the aroma. Mouthfeel is subpar, I found the texture a little too watery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - SEP 26, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2003 Very nice abbey brown. Little roasty on the balace, not too sweet at all. Dried fruit aroma. I love the color on this one. Nice mouth feel, not too heavy. Perfect rendition of the style.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RichJ7 (1175) - Cullman, Alabama, USA - SEP 25, 2003
Poured a thick, creamy beige head over a deep red body. Aroma is nice, rich and almost vinous. Light buzz of alcohol warmth and a pleasant texture on the palate. Flavor is nice - smooth, warm and sweet with a lightly bitter finish. Very, very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
kujo9 (1093) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - SEP 19, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2004 Strange, but it’s doesn’t seem to keep a head very well. When it was there, there was a beige head over a copper body. Very bready malt aroma and a subtle raisin/Catawba grape. The fruity esters are also fairly subdued as are the spicy aromas from yeast(pepper & clove), some slight woodiness. Intensely malty (toasty) w/ flavors or raisins, yeast, and a little alcohol. Well balanced, but toward malt and finishes slightly on the sweet side; red grape alcohol fruitiness. no hops in flavor or aroma anywhere. Highly carbonated like a dubbel should be, warming alcohol, and medium body seems lighter than actual due to carbonation. A good dubbel but I was a little dissapointed in this one. Maybe my expectations we a little to high. It’s not quite as complex as I’d hoped.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
spynavyes3 (1) - Florida, USA - SEP 7, 2003 does not count
I don't know why I chose this beer for my first rating since I have a Chimay Rouge and a Blue in my fridge but here it goes... Pours with a huge head that is fed for a good while by the (excessive?) carbonation. Deep red body that is quite opaque. The carbonation almost overpowers the initial taste of rich malt and green apple but as it moderates the taste really comes through. Good pour if a bit too sweet for my taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - SEP 3, 2003
355 mL bottle, goblet, 45 degrees. Very large, rocky, frothy, off-white head is on a murky brown-red body. Toasted bread, cookie malt; missing hops; earthy, cobweb yeast; raisin, port, smoke toffee, aromas. I picked up everything the bottle said I would except for the dark chocolate. Heavily sweet flavor becomes a moderately sweet, lightly bitter finish. Prominant alcohol flavor. Port and raisins step it up in the flavor, but the chocolate is still missing to me. Creamy smooth texture is somewhat broken up by the fizzy carbonation. The body is medium-heavy. The bottom line is: rich, creamy yumminess.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
kumite56 (471) - Cordova, Tennessee, USA - SEP 1, 2003
Nice ale. inviting aroma of yeast and malt. Flavor has a fruitiness too it to complement the malt. Moderately sweet. Personally I prefer the plale ale by Corsendonk but this is a good brew as well.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - AUG 28, 2003
I haven't been into Belgians lately. I was expecting this to be kind of sweet. My first impression is that it's sour kind of like an apple. This is really starting to grow on me. I have to remember that this is not a U.S. microbrew. Now I'm starting to taste some of the sweetness and chocolatey aftertaste. It's copmplex and it's flavors are subtle. Not like a Rogue chocolate stout (tasting and smelling like chocolate milk. this is complex like a fine wine. Aroma is like the taste - very subtle chocolate with sour apple. Beautiful retaining head. This is a Belgian I would like to buy again. Palte was just a bit watery though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 28, 2003
Mild spicy yeasty hop aroma.Dark reddish brown apearance with average head and fine carbonation.Coca cola like carbonation followed by yeasty bread flavors with some sourness towards the end.Carbonation was tingly on the tounge.