overall
Serve in Bowl

RATINGS: 96   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 129   ABV: 4.3%
An Old-style German wheat ale with a short lactic fermentation. Light and crisp with an acidic sour bite that aims to please. Traditionally served with raspberry or woodruff syrup, but can be enjoyed without. 60% wheat and 40% barley. Fermented with German Weizen yeast and Lactobacillus at 75 degrees Fahrenheit (23.9 Celsius).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
HuskerTan (343) - Kearney, Nebraska, USA - MAR 26, 2014
Bottle. A- Wheat, lemons, grains. A- Pale yellow color, hazy liquid, white head. T- Lemons, wheat, yeasty, sour, tart, funky. P- Light body, average texture, high carbonation, tart finish. O- I was super excited to try my first Berliner, so obviously I had really high hopes. Maybe too high. While this wasn’t completely horrid, I was let down. The sourness was just too much and it reminded me too much of a shandy. I wish I had had some raspberry syrup to try it with, that may have made a world of difference. I did balance it out with some maraschino cherry juice and that did seem to help, but the tart funky yeast taste was just not for me. It’s so close to being really good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jbuskirk (301) - Holdrege, Nebraska, USA - MAR 13, 2014
Crabtree’s Berliner Weisse is my first brush with the style, but it has all of the attributes that I’ve heard of and hoped for: low ABV, lots of acidity, and a light body. Out of the bottle, this beer is sunshine yellow with a head that dissipates quickly, thanks to the acidity. There was some attractive sediment in my glass, too. Funky yeast esters dominate the aroma. The front of the mouth is met by sweet malt which quickly explodes into a sour lemon juice kick just before it hits the middle of the mouth. The carbonation feels quite lively on the palate, but the finish is smooth and supremely refreshing due to the small amounts of alcohol and hops. Actually, drinking this beer made me realize how often I overuse the word "refreshing." Hence my feeling the need to say "supremely refreshing." Oh well, you get the picture. I can’t think of a better beer for a scorching day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jandd1983 (2085) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - MAR 2, 2014
It poured a hazy yellow color with a small white head. The aroma was of wheat, peppercorn and lemons. The taste was of wheat, lemons with some apple and sugar. A nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jcartamdg (1664) - Spring Hill, Florida, USA - FEB 15, 2014
Pours a very hazy yellow with a thick white head. Aroma heavy on wheat, spices and lacto. Taste is sweeter than expected, sour wheat, citrus and lacto. Not bad, very traditional with a bit more sweetness than usual.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
thirdeye11 (5393) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 19, 2014
(22oz bomber) cloudy very light gold, fine white bubes. Nose of lemon, wheat, light minerality. Taste of lemon, wheat, light seltzer, neat refreshing light beer. One thing off in it I can’t put my finger on.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
BMMillsy (1147) - Florida, USA - JAN 14, 2014
Bottle in trade from Adam. Finally cracked this, labeled as Ich Bin Ein. I am assuming this is the same beer. Pours clear light yellow with a big bubbly white head that fizzes and recedes. Aroma is lots of wheat, lemon tartness, and a bit of yeasty spice. Flavor is lots of lightly sweet yet big tart lemon, definite lingering wheat finish, some yeast funk. Super light and spritzy on the palate which would definitely make this go well on a hot summer day. Super crisp finish with just the right touch of sweetness. Not usually a huge fan of the style, but this was nicely done and I could crush a lot of this. My first from Crabtree and now I'll have to seek out some of their others. Good stuff!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DenverLogan (751) - MileHi, Colorado, USA - JAN 6, 2014
On tap last November at Stapleton Tap House...listed as 4.3% with 9 IBUs. Pours bright yellow color with minimum head. Aroma of lemons, apple cider, light bread. Minimum carbonation and moderate mouthfeel. Flavors of light lemon, water, light malts. While my flavor listings are minimal I’ve had many berliner weisses over the decades and this one was overall very flavorful and I’d like to have it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
burg326 (3243) - Florida, USA - DEC 31, 2013
Poured a light cloudy yellow from the bottle with aromas of wheat, tart lemons and a touch of funkiness. Flavors are the same light tart lemon throughout, refreshing a solid beer overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
HIGHB4LL (269) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - DEC 7, 2013
UPDATED: DEC 8, 2013 750ml bottle. Aroma: heavily malty,bread, grain, light hoppy citrus, heavy yeast. Appearance: large white head, poor lacing, hazy body, light yellow color. Taste: short duration, moderately sweet, moderately acidic. Palate: medium body, thin alcoholic texture, astringent finish. Overall I really enjoyed this beer. Pleasantly surprised!.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Strykzone (4477) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - NOV 23, 2013
Sampled at ESBLS. This pours white golden with some haze. This is more malty and fruity than it is tart. And that is a good thing, to me. Some earth in there. The tartness grows and it becomes tart fruit. A nice Berliner Weiss.