overall
Brewed by Great Yorkshire (prev Cropton)
Style: English Strong Ale
Pickering, England

RATINGS: 18   MEAN: 2.42/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottled; Export only.
Fat Dragon is a premium pale ale. A combination of the finest English malt gives this powerful golden brew a wonderful sweet finish with a fine hoppy balance.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
cbfobes (2349) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - JAN 6, 2011
Poured from 16.9oz bottle, pours a very murky brown with a thin head and no lacing, the aroma very sweet with some cereal notes in it, the taste had a sweet front end and in the finish it tasted like sweaty socks, very musty and odd, I wouldn’t really recommend this to anyone.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bhensonb (11533) - Woodland, California, USA - SEP 25, 2010
Bottle from Malt & Vine. Pours hazy ruby/brown with a small beige head. It has that strong malty smell suggesting it’s like fresh Gales Prize Old Ale. Not that I can remember having that fresh, but I can imagine. This one has that heavy fruit sugar aspect. Who knows how it will age. I certainly won’t. Medium plus body with lightish carbonation. Flavor is stone fruit and malt - in a dark way - with a touch of sour, and perhaps a touch of diacetyl. Hope not. Very smooth. Finishes smooth, fruity and malty. There’s some bitter fighting here, but overall this approaches barley wine. I guess the low ratings reflect chacon a son gout. Well it certainly works for me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
nearbeer (3847) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 15, 2010
500 ml. Hazy, brownish-copper with a nice lasting head and lace. Nose of dark fruit, brown sugar, and red wine. Flavor is similar with the red wine on top of the brown sugar and fruit. Medium body is watery and dry, with little carbonation, like a red wine. Did I mention this one was like drinking a low ABV (8%) red wine? Not bad, but not great either; buy a cheap red wine instead...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Frank (3044) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 8, 2010
I was going to send in a correction on this. As of Sept. 2010, it is listed as an ESB on RateBeer. It is 8% ABV as per the label so I think it disqualifies it for that label but, honestly, it really doesn’t taste like 8% alcohol and flavorwise fits in reasonably well w/ ESB so whatever. If you want to send in a correction and say this is an IPA or whatever, go ahead and I have your back. I am just not taking the trouble myself, though I suppose that would have taken about as much time as this to do. Oh well, on to the beer. It pours kind of a gross cloudy brown although w/ an attractive head of fine bubbles. The nose is really mild, sort of a touch of hops and caramel sweetness. Really, this just does not justify itself for being eight percent alcohol. It is just way too light tasting. I am OK w/ a mild tasting brew. I love them, in fact, but part of that love is that I can sit around and drink them all day. If you can’t do that--and maybe I am just old but I can’t drink eight percent alcohol beers all day--then not having much taste loses its appeal entirely. The flavor here is just sort of grainy, vaguely tart, w/ some vague raisin fruitiness and a very low level of earthy hops. It’s watery and just generally very bland. I want to down my glass and be done w/ it but I can’t because it’s eight freaking percent alcohol. This is really not worth it. I am glad I didn’t bother sending in corrections.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - AUG 14, 2010
A rather interesting brew. Not as sweet as I anticipated being 8% abv. Pours very dirty dishwater brown with a soapy head that is not long lived, just a fine fluffy lace. Even smells of the probability of sweetness. Full nectar with decent carbonation creating a semi creamy texture. This is as rustic as it gets. Must of used water from the last rain gathered in buckets borrowed from the pickle factory down river. Chewy and malty with a defined tartness onset by high acidity. Flavors are aged likened to plumbs, peaches, and other stonefruit. Theres an element of cocoa on the finish that leaves a sour twitch to mingle with. Not bad just very rustic old school beer making methodology that I come to expect from the UK.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Wheatyweiss (29) - Wisconsin, USA - AUG 13, 2010
Poured from a 16.9 ounce bottle into a czechvar glass. Pours a rusty amber with a heavy cloud and a modest creamy head that dissipates fast. Aroma is of rich malt, caramel and buttery. Minerals give a metallic aroma. Spicy phenolic aromas with a hint of alcohol. Flavor is very badly attenuated malt, peppery and bitter from an extremely over exhausted roast and extended boil. Hop s are light giving a slightly peppery flavor. Malt is sweet and sticky. Mineral rich flavor is not the same as mostly English Ales I’ve had before, this mineral taste is metallic. Finishes sweet and cloying with alcohol esters. Mouthfeel is watery and thin. Carbonation is too light, this is a malt forward "malt liquor" at best. Actually would not buy this again. Reviewed 07/03/2010

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Suttree (5266) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 26, 2010
Cloudy bronze - copper, no head. Smells a little like maple syrup, but also a little bit hoppy. Flavor is bready, but there is a sourness that is is kinda unappealing.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - JUL 25, 2010
16.9 oz bottle. Pours a cloudy light brown with small beige head. The aroma is a slight woodiness, raw plant matter, raisin, light leather, and just a hint of rotting peach. The flavor is a bit on the bland side. There’s a mellow woody hop note over some general caramel sweetness, but not a whole lot else. I get some ripe melon in the finish, that lingers into a short, slightly fruity aftertaste. Underwhelming.