overall
Brewed by Great Yorkshire (prev Cropton)
Style: English Strong Ale
Pickering, England

RATINGS: 17   MEAN: 2.44/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.52   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottled; Export only.
Fat Dragon is a premium pale ale. A combination of the finest English malt gives this powerful golden brew a wonderful sweet finish with a fine hoppy balance.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bhensonb (10340) - Woodland, California, USA - SEP 25, 2010
Bottle from Malt & Vine. Pours hazy ruby/brown with a small beige head. It has that strong malty smell suggesting itís like fresh Gales Prize Old Ale. Not that I can remember having that fresh, but I can imagine. This one has that heavy fruit sugar aspect. Who knows how it will age. I certainly wonít. Medium plus body with lightish carbonation. Flavor is stone fruit and malt - in a dark way - with a touch of sour, and perhaps a touch of diacetyl. Hope not. Very smooth. Finishes smooth, fruity and malty. Thereís some bitter fighting here, but overall this approaches barley wine. I guess the low ratings reflect chacon a son gout. Well it certainly works for me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
daknole (8537) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JAN 31, 2011
Amber pour. Whitish head. Sweet aroma of iced tea, fake lemon. Flavor is the same. Rather yucky.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Suttree (4902) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 26, 2010
Cloudy bronze - copper, no head. Smells a little like maple syrup, but also a little bit hoppy. Flavor is bready, but there is a sourness that is is kinda unappealing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
nearbeer (3424) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 15, 2010
500 ml. Hazy, brownish-copper with a nice lasting head and lace. Nose of dark fruit, brown sugar, and red wine. Flavor is similar with the red wine on top of the brown sugar and fruit. Medium body is watery and dry, with little carbonation, like a red wine. Did I mention this one was like drinking a low ABV (8%) red wine? Not bad, but not great either; buy a cheap red wine instead...

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
hellbilly (3249) - scottsdale Łber alles, Arizona, USA - OCT 12, 2011
bottle 1/31/11. hazy orange with a white head. not much in the aroma... florals, a little malt, caramel, vanilla and orange. the flavor makes me think of sour iced tea? thin for 8%. meh. 4/3/4/2/9

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - JUL 25, 2010
16.9 oz bottle. Pours a cloudy light brown with small beige head. The aroma is a slight woodiness, raw plant matter, raisin, light leather, and just a hint of rotting peach. The flavor is a bit on the bland side. Thereís a mellow woody hop note over some general caramel sweetness, but not a whole lot else. I get some ripe melon in the finish, that lingers into a short, slightly fruity aftertaste. Underwhelming.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
Frank (2380) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 8, 2010
I was going to send in a correction on this. As of Sept. 2010, it is listed as an ESB on RateBeer. It is 8% ABV as per the label so I think it disqualifies it for that label but, honestly, it really doesnít taste like 8% alcohol and flavorwise fits in reasonably well w/ ESB so whatever. If you want to send in a correction and say this is an IPA or whatever, go ahead and I have your back. I am just not taking the trouble myself, though I suppose that would have taken about as much time as this to do. Oh well, on to the beer. It pours kind of a gross cloudy brown although w/ an attractive head of fine bubbles. The nose is really mild, sort of a touch of hops and caramel sweetness. Really, this just does not justify itself for being eight percent alcohol. It is just way too light tasting. I am OK w/ a mild tasting brew. I love them, in fact, but part of that love is that I can sit around and drink them all day. If you canít do that--and maybe I am just old but I canít drink eight percent alcohol beers all day--then not having much taste loses its appeal entirely. The flavor here is just sort of grainy, vaguely tart, w/ some vague raisin fruitiness and a very low level of earthy hops. Itís watery and just generally very bland. I want to down my glass and be done w/ it but I canít because itís eight freaking percent alcohol. This is really not worth it. I am glad I didnít bother sending in corrections.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jimhilt (2377) - Bow, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 12, 2012
Pours a one finger off-white head that fades quickly to a ring leaving a trace of lace. Murky amber color, ton of yeast left in bottle. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Caramel nose and flavor is caramel, musty, earthy and is watery. Unusual English pale. Higher ABV is hidden. $7.00 for a 330ml bottle from Tullyís Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
cbfobes (2149) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 6, 2011
Poured from 16.9oz bottle, pours a very murky brown with a thin head and no lacing, the aroma very sweet with some cereal notes in it, the taste had a sweet front end and in the finish it tasted like sweaty socks, very musty and odd, I wouldnít really recommend this to anyone.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SuperDave (1932) - Beautiful Sunny Mesa, Arizona, USA - JAN 31, 2011
Cloudy amber pour with a small foamy head. Aroma of stale grain and a hint of spicy hops. Flavor is sweet and malty with almost no hop presence. Not great.