Crossroads Wee Heavy
     click to upload

Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.77/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 20   EST. CALORIES: 246   ABV: 8.2%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Chad9976 (1127) - Albany, New York, USA - MAY 9, 2013
I poured a 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. There was no freshness date on the bottle, though I assume itís fairly fresh as I got from the brewery at TAP New York Beer Fest. My bottle was number 105.

Appearance: Dark brown out of the bottle, but appears to be a stout-like opaque black in the glass. Forms a large, dark tan, foamy head which retains and laces well enough.

Smell: Surprisingly light nose of dark malt, but not smoke or roasted notes.

Taste: I applaud breweris that take chances, but brewing something daring does not equate to brewing something amazing. Crossroads Wee Heavy is a good example of what I mean. This is a small brewpub that doesnít bottle on large scale, so this is a curious choice for one of their first bottled brews. They didnít make a bad beer, they made a just plain good one.

Crossroads Wee Heavy drinks more like a strong porter with a malt-forward body and some significant toasted/roasted malt character. Not much in the way of smoky or other abrasive flavors. Itís not overly sweet or cloying, which is nice. Mild bitterness throughout with a slight increase at the apex, coupled with some burnt toast taste on the finish. The alcohol adds a subtle warmth throughout plus an additional fruit flavor (red grape and raisin), but thatís mild as well. Overall, this is a fine beer, but an odd choice for a small brewery to bottle.

Drinkability: What surprised me about Crossroads Wee Heavy was the ease with which it went down. The texture is soft and smooth (almost velvety), which made it extremely easy to drink, though the aftertaste is a tad bitter. For 8.2% ABV, thereís not a lot of alcohol presence, which makes it rather quaffable since it doesnít feel as heavy as it name would imply. I had no trouble drinking the entire bottle myself.

j12601 (6584) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - JAN 26, 2013
On tap at Crossroads. Pours a deep dark black with brown and ruby highlights. Lots of roast and a bit of sweet toffee on the nose. Sweet and roasty, lots of body, tons of chocolate and roast. Big and full but never boozy. Very well balanced. Long roast and chocolate on the finish. Deceptively easy drinking.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
coldbrewky (1418) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - JAN 17, 2013
Ahhh Hutch me Boy-o, Scotland will be free! Draft at the Brewpub in a snifter. Dark and peat brown with a tan thin film of a head that quietly states beware. Big and smackingly full bodied, I at first thought this was the Alburtus Impy..... As I brought it to the light it was clear that it was not. Nose of earth and heavy malt. Long lasting body allows a bit of peat thru near the end of the lengthy body. Alcohol is enshrouded but certainly present, as Ralf, Bruce and I began our Monty Python skit at the table and embarrassed the wives with our merry singing. "My brain Hurts!"