RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.94   EST. CALORIES: 142   ABV: 4.75%
Calling all coffee lovers! Introducing CB's Canaltown Brown Ale, the second in a line of regional custom creations from Custom BrewCrafters of Honeoye Falls! We took a traditional English style Brown Ale and added fresh coffee specially roasted for us by the great folks at Canaltown coffee roasters. The Crystal and KilnAmber malts create the backbone of the beer and balance the coffee flavor perfectly. We went light on the hops to let the earthy coffee aroma come through. The chocolate malt gives the beer its coffee color and dry finish. Also, just as we don?t make non-alcoholic beer, we also don?t make decaf. This beer has a small amount of caffeine. Enjoy in moderation! Cheers! Brewed with Pale, Crystal , KilnAmber and Chocolate malts, and hopped with First Gold hops. Coffee is a special roast made for Custom BrewCrafters by CanalTown Coffee Roasters.

GTown's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
GTown (127) - New York, USA - SEP 1, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2006 Sampled at the brewery. This is an outstanding brown ale. CB has added just the right amount of hops to let the coffee flavor through. If you like coffee, try this ale. As the outside temps plummet, I will actively seek out a growler of this. Nice job! 12/04/06: Re-Rate--Cask at Monty’s Krown. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and hand-pulled. A further polishing of the coffee aroma and balancing of the chocolate malt. Tan head. Flavor enhances as the ale warms. The lacing is heavy and shows each and every swallow. The best brown ale I have had...period. A must try.

0.7
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Odyn (265) - New York, USA - JUL 15, 2008
Absolutely horrible. Tasts like someone squirted lemon juice into my coffee and then let it get cold. I love coffee & I love beer, but this is a bad science experiment!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
scottw86 (1094) - Maryland, USA - NOV 12, 2007
One of the better brown ales I have tried. The coffee flavor come through, but is not overwhelming. The finish is very smooth.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Beersnobpunx (8) - Rochester, New York, USA - SEP 28, 2007 does not count
They were not lying about the caffine in this beer........it could just be me, but this made me kind of twitchy. All in all a great brown ale

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
yesyouam (1016) - Fairport, New York, USA - JUL 17, 2007
(On draft at Aladdin’s in Pittsford, NY) Canal Town Brown is a sparkling mahogany with a fizzy off-white head. It is rather transparent looking and leaves good lacing. The aroma is of sweet malt, medium roast coffee and buttery toffee. It is medium bodied, slightly chalky, not watery, and softly carbonated. The coffee flavor is very subtle. Malt with saltines and butter-- the flavor is a bit disjointed and there’s not really any bitterness to speak of. Maybe some day I’ll "get" brown ales-- as for now, all they ever do is make me want a porter! That said, this wasn’t that bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
zach8270 (3439) - Henrietta, New York, USA - AUG 31, 2006
(draft @ Monty’s Korner - Rochester, NY) Dark brown in color with a very thin brown head. Aroma is very sweet and malty with some hints of coffee and caramel malts. Taste begins rather sweet with a nice smooth coffee middle and a very smooth and sweet finish with a touch of coffee. A bit watery but really nice.