Brewed by Dansk Mjød
Style: Mead
Billund, Denmark

RATINGS: 264   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   EST. CALORIES: 570   ABV: 19%
Nordic honey wine with hibiscus and hops added. Based on a recipe from about year 1700.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
frankenkitty (1984) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - JUN 1, 2009
Pours still with sticky legs and the color of a copper penny. Wooden aroma with a spiced background. Caramel, whisky, greenery, honey, cereal... Honeycomb cereal to be closer to fact. Smooth, sweet and alcohol-potent, the flavor finds a honey sweetness with a touch of wood and a mild "green" sharpness. Thick, sweet, warming and palate-coating, it performs on all the levels I expect a fine mead to accomplish. Quite excellent, this ranks right up there with some of my favorite Polish meads. ~~~~~~~~~~ Purchased June 2007 from Grapes of Mirth, Columbus, OH.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - JUN 1, 2009
This is a monster. Deep gold body. Huge alcohol in the nose, with some honey and spices in there somewhere. The taste is sweet honey up front that quickly fades to the alcohol burn in your throat, while the herbal/spice presence hits the back of your tongue. Huge flavor, huge alcohol, and huge hangover if you drink too quickly.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Butters (3990) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 28, 2009
Sampled at the Alexi TN distributor’s tasting; thanks Jim Bird! Clear amber pour with clearish minimal head. Sweet and honey with a massively hot nose. Sticky sweet finish. Somewhat like potpouri I’m not a huge mead fan to start, but this one was particularly not that great.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Pinball (11704) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 13, 2009
ceramic large bottle at home. pours dark orange, no head. spritty, sweetish apricot aroma. i’d say it is a little too spritty, and i miss some honey. the apricot is real nice. flavor is sweet fruity honey, spicy flowery from the hibiscus, burns from the alc. flavor is unusually well balanced for a mead, slight citrussy or flowery notes balance the sweetness. palate is thick, but not too thick. overall a good mead, but i think it is a little bit to stingy from the alc, and perhaps also from the herbs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - APR 15, 2009
The Viking Blod from Dansk Mjod is a Nordic honey wine brewed with hibiscus and hops. Already I am thoroughly intrigued, especially by the addition of two unusual ingredients as far as I can tell. As she fills my glass a bright clear hay color, delicate whiffs of honey, hibiscus, nectarines and peach, warm mulled spices, and cooked spiced apples seduce. With each aromatic embrace, I can see how the Vikings of yore considered mead a heavenly experience. It would be unladylike of me to keep good mead waiting, so I raise my glass for our first sweet, honey-coated kiss. Delicately sweet with succulent honeycomb, soft floral notes of hibiscus permeate her whole body without overwhelming the palate. Slightly viscous, Viking Blod coats my mouth and tongue in a melting harmony of honey, peaches, and spiced apples. Like a good mead, she doesn’t smother me with her sweetness, and any hops used in the process are wholly indiscernible to me. It could be the slightly brisk finish of this particular mead is a result of the hops used, but otherwise, nothing. This is not a detriment to her brew though, and I find my dram of Viking Blod gone way too soon. Sweet with delicate hibiscus notes, Dansk Mjod has certainly bottled a taste of Valhalla for me to savor.

While not all early beers of yore were anything exciting to drink, much less bring back to enjoy today, mead will always be a decadent reminder of some our brewing history’s best. For as long as man has been able to, he has brewed, and for as long as man continues to live and breathe, he will continue to brew. As long as our brewing heritage continues to include mead, myself and generations to come will be truly blessed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bconley (352) - Fern Park, Florida, USA - APR 8, 2009
Bottle at the otown throwdown. Golden amber color. INCREDIBLY STRONG. and really sweet with hone y and spicy hops. Want to have again when I don’t have to drive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
darkguardian (727) - Florida, USA - APR 7, 2009
Bottle courtesy of Hopscotch, pours a dark honey color. Flat pour with huge alcohol legs on the glass. Nose is alcohol and raw honey, nothing special there. Flavor and mouthfeel really make this a special mead. Huge thick mouthfeel but suprisingly slick and drinkable despite noticable alcohol burn. Definitely drinks like 19% but the flavor profile which starts of with big time honey and goes into some very intriguing spice notes. Amazingly there is a little detectable hop character which I have never encountered before in a mead. A strong alcohol burn and then it finishes with a lovely pie crust note and of course rich honey. Very very nice.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
VikingMetalGod (39) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - APR 5, 2009
MMM, unique aroma. Herbal, flowery honey smell. Very Sweet. Pours dark gold/amber, still, with no head. I think I just want to smell it and keep it at that out of fear that the taste won’t live up! WHOA to the alcohol flavor! At 19%, i’m not surprised! Taste is very sweet and alcoholic but not as sweet as I"m used to with the mead around here, which is nice. After the initial sweetness, it becomes dry and finishes spicy with herbal overtones throughout. SO many flavors! Mouthfeel is lightly syrupy with a pleasant burn in the end.With all the alcohol (and $30 a bottle) its a sipper, not a swigger. I recommend this to all that love mead and are able to obtain this rarity (at least for my neck of the woods). A fitting drink for my fellow viking warriors!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - MAR 27, 2009
Thanks to BrideofFrankenkitty and the Mr for bringing this to the apartment to share. While she and he drank from sensiblely sized stemmed beer sample glasses, I (not having to drive away later) carefully poured a goodly dosage into my Choc Beer glass. It had a deep amber/bronze body with long legs. (Always wanted to write that.) The aroma was seriously sweet, but not offensively so - thick honey. old oak, and... something. That something was mayhaps the hibiscus. At the Mrs suggestion, I poured some into the front of my mouth, swirled it lightly, and let it drain backwards... meaning further into my mouth and down the throat. Finally, I was picking up a floral bitterness and caught a light scent of some flowers. (Could I really tell the difference between a hibiscus, a rose, or a snapdragon?) Mostly the flavor was strong and honey sweet with a firm alcohol presence. At the end there was a snap of alcohol and old, dry hops. The finish was sticky sweet and peppery hot with alcohol. Normally I prefer a dry mead, but this was not at all unpleasant... which I s’pose means I liked it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
daknole (10350) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAR 17, 2009
Bottle from the Otown throwdown. From Solan. Red/Orange pour. Honey, fruit, hops and maybe a hint of spices. Flavor is very nice. A bit herbal and honey. Good stuff.