overall
Brewed by Dansk Mjd
Style: Mead
Billund, Denmark

RATINGS: 237   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   EST. CALORIES: 570   ABV: 19%
Nordic honey wine with hibiscus and hops added. Based on a recipe from about year 1700.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
GreyhoundMom (1) - - AUG 31, 2014 does not count
Picked it up for an evening with friends who are wine and beer drinkers - one who is closing in on a Ph.D. in history. The packaging (including the notation it came from a recipe dating back to around 1700) made it a fun an appealing treat to be passed around for tasting and discussion. I loved it - as did they.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dwyerpg (4567) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JAN 9, 2010
Absolutely wonderful mead. Sweet and strong, its dominated by the honey. The only knock really is that perhaps it seems just a tad bit too alcoholic, but mostly this is great stuff. A bit expensive as well.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
blackmurder (226) - sadf, Hawaii, USA - MAY 1, 2012
Damn good mead. Had this last night at my buddies wedding. Served in a horn so I cant comment on the appearance. I was pretty wasted when I drank it but from what I recall its one of the better meads I have had. Smells super sweet with hints of vanilla and pears. Taste is phenomenal. Alcohol is very well hidden and its not too sweet.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JamesD (243) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - SEP 29, 2008
This mead is truly out of this world. It pours a reddish gold. The aroma is of herbs, raisins, flowers, and some mild spice. The flavor is amazing. Smooth, sweet, but not too sweet. It has enough dryness to remind me of amontillado sherry. Notes of raisins, orange peel, and some cinnamin or mint on a dry honey canvas. I’m new to mead, but I think started in the right spot.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
VikingMetalGod (39) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - APR 5, 2009
MMM, unique aroma. Herbal, flowery honey smell. Very Sweet. Pours dark gold/amber, still, with no head. I think I just want to smell it and keep it at that out of fear that the taste wont live up! WHOA to the alcohol flavor! At 19%, im not surprised! Taste is very sweet and alcoholic but not as sweet as I"m used to with the mead around here, which is nice. After the initial sweetness, it becomes dry and finishes spicy with herbal overtones throughout. SO many flavors! Mouthfeel is lightly syrupy with a pleasant burn in the end.With all the alcohol (and $30 a bottle) its a sipper, not a swigger. I recommend this to all that love mead and are able to obtain this rarity (at least for my neck of the woods). A fitting drink for my fellow viking warriors!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
frankenkitty (1959) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - JUN 1, 2009
Pours still with sticky legs and the color of a copper penny. Wooden aroma with a spiced background. Caramel, whisky, greenery, honey, cereal... Honeycomb cereal to be closer to fact. Smooth, sweet and alcohol-potent, the flavor finds a honey sweetness with a touch of wood and a mild "green" sharpness. Thick, sweet, warming and palate-coating, it performs on all the levels I expect a fine mead to accomplish. Quite excellent, this ranks right up there with some of my favorite Polish meads. ~~~~~~~~~~ Purchased June 2007 from Grapes of Mirth, Columbus, OH.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
1FastSTi (3336) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 9, 2007
I was nearly pissed off after I got home from the beer store after purchasing this when I spent $20 for this 750. Then I drank it, shared it with others, and drank some more. Overall, a bunch of people got to try it from my purchase and all were quite happy with it. So, either everyone else is bashing this mead or they simply dont like mead. Anyway, the mead pours to a very sexy glowing bronze body with a peach-like tint. The legs are long, thick, and lasting. Watery yet viscous looking. The aroma is divine. Sweet honey, flowers, sherry. The alcohol is vaporous and hits the nose very nicely. It lingers nicely. There are notes of hibiscus. The flavor is sweet honey up front with flowers and aged hops with some sherry. Light sulfurous characteristics. The palate is sweet, slightly sticky, nicely coating, but perhaps a touch thin. Anyway, this was great!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - NOV 8, 2007
Aaagh! My bottle fell over and developed a hairline fracture, causing it to slowly seep all over my fridge insides. No good! Before this sweet nectar of life drained away, I did get some serious quaffing in, and I can joyfully report that it is truly a mead to be reckoned with. A worthy competitor to Apis (the King of Meads!).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerking99 (199) - Virginia, USA - DEC 22, 2007
A metheglin mead, brewed with hibiscus and hops. Pours a very surprising dark amber color. No head, still mead. Aroma is extremely floral, from both the hibiscus and the honey. Apart from the floral character, honey is also very big in the aroma. Alcohol is masked in the aroma. Taste is again very floral, but this time the alcohol comes through pretty strong, yet pleasant. Honey and hibiscus are very apparent, hops serve only as a balancing character. After taste is well balanced between malt, alcohol and floral characters. Warming all the way down. Very nice!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Mike4686 (120) - Bayonne, New Jersey, USA - DEC 31, 2007
I really enjoyed this one. it pours a nice brown whiskey color, great aroma of sweet honey and hibiscus. this stuff really tastes great and the alcohol isnt doesnt come through too much. I would buy this again.