overall

RATINGS: 1196   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Its not as heavy bodied and malty as many IPAs, in contrast the palate is more crisp and dry. If you consider yourself a "hop-head" you owe it to yourself to grab this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Goblincat (381) - Westland, Michigan, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Pours a nice cloudy deep orange with lots of little bits floating around and a thin head. Nice sweet hoppy aroma with citrus. Has what I like about IPAs... A nice floural and bitter blend. I liked this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hotstuff (4066) - Indiana, USA - APR 4, 2004
On tap at the brewery. Poured a small sized ivory head that contained fine-medium sized bubbles that mostly diminished. The hue was gold and the body was cloudy. The aroma was lightly hoppy and sweet with a sweet, bitter and hoppy flavor from start to finish. The mouthfeel was very hoppy and the lacing was sparse. If you are into hoppy beers, you should enjoy this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
thedm (4935) - Fort Wayne, USA - APR 4, 2004
This draft brew from the brewery poured a small head of finely sized White colored bubbles that left behind a good lacing. The body was a hazy orange brown color. The aroma was mediumly hopped. The mouth feel was very tingly and hoppy. The flavor was all hops, but not too much like some over the top hopped brews.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 22, 2004
UPDATED: APR 25, 2005 2003 bottle. Very lovely hazy amber-gold color with, to my delight, sediment. yay. moving on, the aroma was not as big as most ipas. Basic clean citrus hops, quite dry and slightly perfume like. Small white head that leaves quickly. Flavor begins with a typical dry hopped cascades flavor. Less malt than Id like but still a buttery-sweet cookie malt flavor has some presence. Moderately, but pleasingly, bitter, medium bodied, fluffy aerated texture. As it warms it improved with some sweeter orange shortbread-like flavors coming from the malt and hops mix. Good stuff, well-made, you know the drill.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
thehoff (596) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - NOV 20, 2003
Very cloudy bronze color. The head is a nice foamy offwhite head. Smells like an IPA, hoppy and bitter, grapefruit. This IPA has a bitterness deeper than just the hops. This is OK but I am coming to the realization that IPAs are not my favorite style of beer. I don't mind them but like a little more flavor than just a grapefruit peel bitterness. Plus I have had better in the style. This is just another run of the mill IPA to me, but nice coming out of this small microbrewery.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - SEP 22, 2003
Big citrus hop aroma - followed into the taste - Juicy grapefruit, lightly pine-coned and a lingering warm hop finish. This is all backed by a medium bodied bready malt - only held back a bit by it's slight grainyness. Excellent head and lacing, nice cloudy orange color.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
aracauna (3052) - Georgia, USA - SEP 16, 2003
This is just one of those beers where I give the beer a sniff, jerk back and look at the liquid glowing in my glass. Then I give it a taste and I just have to say wow. This bottle was obviously extremely fresh. The hops have all the subtleties of aroma and flavor that the beer loses quickly as it gets older. It wasn't just about the bitterness, but everything about the hops. It smells like my kitchen on brew day after I weigh out the hops. The taste is very juicy. Under the initial hop juice onslaught there's a nice bit of biscuits and a little butter, just enough to balance the hops. The hops come back out in the end, but instead of the grapefruit peel and spruce of the beginning, it's down to the bare bitterness, which lingers for a while in the mouth. The body is a nice amber and leather glow. It's cloudy from the yeast I couldn't keep in the bottle (I like yeast in my beer anyway, plus the barely settled yeast is another sign of freshness.) The head is a nice off-white foam that hangs around nicely despite a sluggish start. The mouthfeel is the only thing that doesn't impress me. But maybe I'm just too distracted by the rest of it. Excellent, Excellent IPA.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
jsquire (3417) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - SEP 2, 2003
I poured this out of a bottle that had done some traveling, so I had a ton of floaties in suspension that made this orange beer almost look like jelly. Great fresh hop bloom nose, but the flavor was harsh, raw hop pellets. A little one dimensional to be a truely interesting IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - AUG 30, 2003
This brew pours a cloudy oaken hue. The average off white creamy head is of an average duration with light lacing. The nose is fresh citrus and spruce with the slightest whiff of brown sugar. The flavor is overwhelming hops blasting off on my tongue. A touch of alcoholic warmth permeates the middle. The finish is one of everlasting chokestopping bitterness. The medium dry palate is soft and finishes with uber astringency.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
OldGrowth (2644) - North Carolina, USA - AUG 14, 2003
Bottle:O.k. Nose Citrusy yeasty. Hazy orange color,though I poured it and let some sediment get in. Bitter Grapefruit, lemon flavor. Crisp and dry with a distinct(centennial i'd guess) finish. Kinda like biting into hop pellets. I'm know to do that when I brew my own. Nice ipa. I like a departure from some of the sweet (cascade) ipa's out there. Have to check some old notes to see if i had this a couple years back when I was in Ann Arbor. Pre ratebeer. Thanks Prof