overall

RATINGS: 992   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 408   ABV: 13.6%
Have you read the description for the regular Crooked Tree yet? Well this beer is almost the same just double. We actually took the Crooked Tree recipe and doubled all of the ingredients except the water, just the way a DOUBLE should be made. Big hops balanced with tons of malt give this beer a huge body. Although this beer is as cool as "the Fonz" when first purchased, it gets really mellow and smooth with some age. After a year or two stored in a cool dark place you'll notice the heavy caramel and malt flavors are trying to sneak past the hops, theyíre just not fast enough. This beer is hugely delicious so it will need your undivided attention (the chores can wait....trust us). 98 IBU's

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - AUG 13, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2007 TRUMP! This double version pours a hazed honey color w/ a medium sized, semi creamy froth and reduces to a decent lace. I think itís genetic. Looks like liquid caramel. The aroma is balanced w/ goopy malts and strict hopsy citrus rind. Nice! Full nectar w/ ample creamy residual effers. This is a malt bomb for sure but Robo Hop is right round the corner with his street sweeper and cleans the palce up nicely leaving asprin scar tissue to deal with. I am amazed a brew like this can be so well balanced. Fat caramel malts, and fat caramel malts meet up w/ a very strict curfew and like I said, Robo Hop is there to sweep up the mess. Chewy citrus caramel, leather, aged citrus rind, cotton candy essence, and a pinch of sodium. The finish is bittered perfectly and leaves a lingering asprin burn to remind me from whince I came. Drink with caution for the alcohol is hidden like a sniper in the mud. I could drink a few of these. I wouldnít, but I could =) Highly recommended.

BitterPoet (57) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 24, 2009
Had this for the first time at Firkin Fest 2009. It was the first beer I had...and the best. Being a fan of the regular Crooked Tree, I was intrigued by the authentic doubling of the recipe. The result is, hands down, not only the best Imperial IPA Iíve ever had, but can imagine having. The hops have tossed off any thoughts of bitterness and embrace the religions of citrus and non-perfumey flowers. A mannish backbone of malt makes this beer thick and the best sippers around. The fact that it is unfiltered is just icing on the cake. Dark Horse has become my favorite brewery in the States, thus far. I can find absolutely nothing wrong with this beer. There you have it. Cheers.

emans (2) - Owosso, Michigan, USA - MAR 29, 2012 does not count
Oh my how sweet it is to be blessed by this. What a bad son of a bitch this beer is. Get this when you can or else. It comes out in February which is the greatest month of the year.

Flemingo1 (3) - Lake Orion, Michigan, USA - JUN 15, 2012 does not count
Hands down, the best Imperial IPA I have ever consumed. If you consider yourself a serious imbiber of Imp IPAís then this is one to try!

RKOhio (9) - Ohio, USA - SEP 27, 2012 does not count
Absolutely my favorite beer! The dark appearance is not expected and subtle liquor is present in both the aroma and taste giving way to a multitude of flavors.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
bjcbeer (1) - Brookfield, Wisconsin, USA - APR 30, 2008 does not count
This is one of the best beers that I have ever had at 13.6% and 98 IBUs this beer is way to drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
railcat1 (689) - Hammond, Indiana, USA - APR 30, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2006 Had on DLD FFF parking lot.good taste and well hidden alcohol.I did not realize how strong it was till today.thankfully i had small sample and would love to try this again.I had it today(10/25/06) again thanks to SPINKLE and was very happy and grateful to him .Great beer hoppy and sweet just like a a double ipa should be.CHEERS

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
574deadzone (1057) - North Central, Indiana, USA - AUG 24, 2011
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2013 Glad I had someone to share this with, because I donít think it would have been wise to try to drink the whole thing myself. Poured rather cloudy amber with hints of gold and orange to the color in the light. Aroma was mostly dark fruit, like raisins and figs. Taste wasnít the total hop bomb I expected, but was very much more of that dark sweetness with a lot of complexity, almost tending toward barleywine. Palate was full, rich, thick, and crazy. I would definitely try one of these again. <<update>> Got a freshy, so excited. Pours crystal clear but for the fine suspended particulate. Glowing orange-crimson with a thin off white ring and wisps of head. A vigorous swirl produces maybe half a finger of head and leaves lots of soapy lace. Deep intoxicating nose of heavy pine sap, tropical fruit, grapefruit, darker pit fruit, and sweet sweet malt with touches of alcohol vapors. Richly sweet yet incredibly bitter. Juicy yet drying on the tongue, full and rich bodied without coming across as too syrupy or soapy, and with pleasantly warming alcohol on the way down. You beautiful bastard. How is this so easy to drink?

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
bucs572000 (237) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 23, 2013
Aroma is a nice sweet hoppy scent, flavor is florally, citrusy, apple, pineapple, getting a malty caramel flavor also. Really love this brewery. One of my favorite double Ipas!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
stoutlvr (52) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - MAY 3, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 8, 2006 I was very surprised at how easy to drink this beer is. For a double, it is surprisingly tasty! Very citrusy taste and aroma, yet very smooth. Do not under-estimate itís strength! Alcohol is definitely present, but címon, itís beer, not sprite. Maybe rate cola is a better site for you if you dont like tasting alcohol.