overall

RATINGS: 596   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
This is a true dopplebock and Dark Horse Brewing’s only publicly distributed lager. It was so normal that we couldn’t stand it so we made it into a coffee dopplebock. Ha, take that Germany, with your Reinheitsgebot purity law! Anyway, we use fair trade organic coffee from our friends at The Ugly Mug Cafe in Ypsilanti, MI We did a label contest and opened it up to the public for this beer. We had so many awesome entries that we couldn’t just pick one winner so we have 2 labels for this beer. We stagger the bottles in the six packs but with no order in mind.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
wheelz843 (233) - Grand Island, New York, USA - OCT 23, 2008
bottle. has a strong coffee aroma with a hint of chocolate. has a dark brown color with little head. has a bit of an old coffee taste at first but a nice dark chocolate finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 22, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2013 12oz from mibirder - thanks, Sean! My bottle doesn’t have the death metal label, alas. The pour is dark amber, with only modest carbonation that yields a faint head and only a hint of lacing. Slightly dusty cinnamon seems to mix in with the strong chocolate malts in the nose and the relatively understated coffee smells. Nice soft toffee and biscuity malts in the taste. But, much like Ithaca’s Kaffinator, this just doesn’t seem like a doppelbock. An enjoyable beer for what it is.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
WickerBrew (311) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 20, 2008
I am surprised that I actually like this. Its got a pretty strong coffee taste that is impossible to not be overwhelming. It really does taste like an iced coffee with carbonation. Its a little better then the coffee bender, and I think thats because it starts with a stronger base beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Metalhead (623) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - OCT 19, 2008
I agree with 17thfloor. WTF was the point of this? I enjoy coffee beers alot. This smelled like a cold cup of dunkin donuts coffee with some sweetness. Tasted the same with old coffee grounds tossed in the mix. Buy a single if you wanto to try but a 4 pack is not worth the time or $

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HonkeyBra (3114) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - OCT 18, 2008
Dark amber pour. Nose is all coffee and maybe a bit of dirt. Flavor has the characteristics of a dopplebock, lots of caramel and nutty flavor, though the sweetness is offset by the coffee. Good beer.

beerdetox (15) - Illinois, USA - OCT 17, 2008
Well balanced. I thought it had a full flavor and a medium coffee aroma. Not overpowering like some java based beers. Really enjoyed it overall, surprised with some of the low scores. For this type of beer I agree with others, dangerous drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
17thfloor (2428) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 14, 2008
Pours a murky purplish brown with a small soda head that fizzes away quickly. Smells like a weak-old cup of coffee. Very strange stuff. Light bodied with soda carbonation. Tastes like some kinda of strange coffee-soda with light notes of chocolate and caramel. I don’t get it. When it comes to coffee beers... If it’s not better than a cup of cheap coffee from a convenience store then why bother?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 12, 2008
Draft at Radio Maria in Champaign, IL. Pours a deep black with a wisp of a head. Aroma of wet coffee grounds. Medium bodied with soft carbonation. Flavor is very strong in dry, roasty coffee, with accents of nuts, peat, and chocolate. Moderate amount of residual sweetness, which works well to bring out the nuances. Very nice beer. Has a homebrew like quality to it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BuckeyeSammy (531) - Palo Alto, Ohio, USA - OCT 3, 2008
Mild nose of coffee beans, dark malt. Really well balanced, good beer. Full flavored, malt, light coffee, cocoa, toffee. Bitter, coffee lingering on my palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
WeeHeavySD (3359) - San Diego (Hillcrest), Oregon, USA - AUG 19, 2008
12oz, can’t tell if this was a gift or via trade all I know is I didn’t buy it myself. Pours orangey brown with a tan ring. nose is very much dopplebocky with a good amount of coffee. Taste is sweet, malty and coffee infsed. Tasty coffee dopplebock.