overall

RATINGS: 620   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
This is a true dopplebock and Dark Horse Brewing’s only publicly distributed lager. It was so normal that we couldn’t stand it so we made it into a coffee dopplebock. Ha, take that Germany, with your Reinheitsgebot purity law! Anyway, we use fair trade organic coffee from our friends at The Ugly Mug Cafe in Ypsilanti, MI We did a label contest and opened it up to the public for this beer. We had so many awesome entries that we couldn’t just pick one winner so we have 2 labels for this beer. We stagger the bottles in the six packs but with no order in mind.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
msante79 (2211) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - DEC 18, 2008
12oz bottle. Pours dark reddish copper with fizzy tan head. Aroma is strong with coffee, malt, caramel and touch of chocolate. Flavor is malty with coffee dominating palate with notes of caramel, chocolate and light alcohol. Light mouthfeel and light carbonation. I really do not care for coffee beers in general but this is better than what I expected it to be.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TURDFERGUSON (3969) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - DEC 17, 2008
Bottle shared by emacgee. Thanks Ethan. Pours a deep ruby brown with a small ring of lace that fades quickly. Nose is big malts, coffee, alcohol, some earthy notes. Flavor has some hefty alcohol warmth up front with some coffee, hops, and sweet malt notes. Pretty thin mouth feel. Not the best I have had from this brewery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
emacgee (4136) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - DEC 14, 2008
Thanks JCB. Pours a ruby copper with a thin fizzy tan head. The nose has a nice smooth coffee aroma, light alcohol, malty, sweet, raisiny, caramel, develops a nice malty complexity with warmth. The flavor is sharp and spicy, prominent alcoholic warmth, some hop bitterness, sweet malty background, coffee flavor is a little more subdued than the aroma. Prominent alcoholic warmth on the mouthfeel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Petrucci914 (910) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 12, 2008
Initially pours what looks like a black and tan; mahogany bottom and black top. Generally is a dark mahogany color with a medium mocha head that fades to a thin bubbly ring. Aroma is caramel and espresso, with maybe a hint of vanilla sweetness. The taste is not what I expected.....a bitter and dry coffee note up front, with some dark fruit and caramel malt sweetness. Up front it tastes like a coffee brew, but then fades into a doppelbock, which I guess is probably the intent. Taste is almost like Furthermore Oscura.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MoDog (927) - Griffith, Indiana, USA - DEC 9, 2008
Poured from a 12oz bottle and served in a dimpled mug. This dopplebock poured a murky, ruby brown hue with a short-lived head of tan foam that settled into a lasting ring. A small amount of slippery lacing was left behind. The aroma had a very pronouced note of cold pressed coffee. A solid dose of caramel and dark fruit also made an appearance. The flavor contained a smooth coffee note (not bitter like alot of other coffee-infused beers), dark fruit skins, caramel, and a hint of baker’s chocolate. The mouthfeel was full-bodied and had light carbonation. Filling for sure, but yet quite drinkable. Very enjoyable. Nice to see the guys at Dark Horse give a lager a try.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
valpoaj (635) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - DEC 6, 2008
Thanks to Russ for sending me home with one of these...pours a deep brown with a reddish tinge...thin beige head that goes away quickly. Aroma is a mix of bitter coffee and sweet malts with, well, something else in there, and it just is not working for me. As for the flavor, I will just say that I am usually one who likes contrasting flavors to keep things interesting, but the combination of the extremely strong sweet, caramel malts and the bitter, almost old tasting coffee was just, well, not real good. This beer is more sweet than bitter, and the sweetness is somewhat repelling.I am typically a fan of coffee beers, but this one has the flavor of day old coffee. Palate is thick and oily. I can only hope that Dark Horse gave this one a try, and figured that they might as well bottle it since they had it. Not one of their better offerings. On a side note, I hate rating without the use of the apostrophe...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Benjiehorn (21) - Chicago, USA - NOV 28, 2008
This poured a hazy brown with a thin white lacing. The first thing that hit me was the aroma. The coffee grounds came through very nicely with just a hint of chocolate, giving a subtle mocha. The flavor was much the same, very high notes of coffee, small hint of chocolate and vanilla. Light mouthfeel, with a nice finish without being overly chewy. Nice brew!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
TheGuy (653) - Illinois, USA - NOV 27, 2008
Pour was brown with beige head aromas of coffee and hops taste was of coffee grounds and hops i didn’t like this one at all i hate to say this because i really enjoy this brewers beer but i couldn’t finish this one drain pour the high score due to respect of the brewery and the creativeneess

tmoreau (2559) - Lombard, Illinois, USA - NOV 21, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 23, 2009 Tap-pint served. Medium, reddish brown color with a small, white ring of head. Strong, aromatic, dark-roasted coffee aroma. Coffee reduces in intensity quite a bit in the flavor combined with some semi-sweet maltiness, dark fruit, & a touch of dryness. Not a fan of overly sweet doppels, but this one is not too sweet with a pleasant coffee edge. This time it’s a 12 oz. bottle at Lunar Brewing Co. The color is more mahogany/amber with a silky, light tan head. The aroma was more rich espresso that filled my nose after every sip. The flavor added a little molasses sweetness with a hint of smoke and char. Medium+ body and even more enjoyable with the espresso nose.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Glouglouburp (6104) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 20, 2008
<b>In short: </b>A very sweet bock with a lot of nutty brownies and little of the advertised coffee. Ok at first, gross after half a bottle
<b>How: </b>Bottle 12oz, from my Summer Secret Santa 2008. Thanks dude. Age unknown.
<b>The look: </b>Clear brownish ruby body topped by a little beige ring of foam
<b>In long: </b>Nose has dark fruits, roastiness and only light notes of the advertised coffee. Taste is sweet, very sweet. Brown sugar, brownies, nuts, milk-chocolate, caramel, tobacco, old cup of cold black coffee, dried dark fruits. Finish is tobacco leaves and brownies. After-taste is mainly sweet brownies. As the beer warms up the note of black coffee turns into old coffee filter. Maybe my bottle was old or maybe it’s just not my type of beer. Too sweet, far from highly drinkable. Today for my beer night I had the wonderful idea to judge two co-called "coffee doppelbocks" so I opened this one and the Kaffinator. What a fabulous idea. Tomorrow for my movie night I’ll rent two Steven Seagal movies.