overall

RATINGS: 620   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
This is a true dopplebock and Dark Horse Brewing’s only publicly distributed lager. It was so normal that we couldn’t stand it so we made it into a coffee dopplebock. Ha, take that Germany, with your Reinheitsgebot purity law! Anyway, we use fair trade organic coffee from our friends at The Ugly Mug Cafe in Ypsilanti, MI We did a label contest and opened it up to the public for this beer. We had so many awesome entries that we couldn’t just pick one winner so we have 2 labels for this beer. We stagger the bottles in the six packs but with no order in mind.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheAlum (5833) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - OCT 30, 2008
2 12 oz bottles shared at a beer tasting / monopoly game with my girlfriend and close friends. This brew was an interesting one. This brew pours a very nice. A very nice hazy brown, with barely a light shining through, with red notes mixed about. Head is nice and laces well. Aroma is powerful, coffee, but ground coffee, almost like the coffee aisle at Jewel-Osco. That kind of coffee. Taste is similar up front, masked by coffee largely, hiding a lot or any complexities there may be. A bit of a bitter finish, some hops or maybe just the coffee. Some light but potent darker roasted malts shine through in stages, that shine through touches of sweetness, almost like additives to a cup of coffee (Sweetener, etc.). Ligher side of medium bodied. Decent, not necessarily my think. I think the beer is good, but personally don’t like coffee masking my beers to hell.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
arjoseph (639) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 29, 2008
12 oz. into Duvel tulip. I couldn’t not buy this when I saw it in the store. I’m always up for new flavors in beer, and I’ve never seen a coffee doppelbock. Deep shining ruby in the glass with creamy tan head; looks like a Fuller’s vintage. Used coffee ground aroma over powdery cracker malts. Some nice arching foam lace and relatively deep and slow racing. Mmmm, tasty; the crackery and nicely sweet malts provide a great floor for the light roasty coffee to play on top as just more than an accent. The combination has a vaguely milk chocolate flavor as well, probably just an unintended effect of the roast mixing with the sweetness (but a nice integrator). I was afraid the coffee would stick out like a thin sore thumb, but it doesn’t -- it melds very well with the overall flavor profile. Just a bit too powerful in the alcohol department to be mistaken for a session beer, but the softness of the flavor makes this seem very quaffable. Despite medium body, this is light on the palate. I like it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cornfield (5504) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - OCT 28, 2008
The bottle has one of the sharpest labels I’ve seen (the demonic version), which also happens to have been executed by RateBeerian frankenkitty - skilled artist, fellow member of The LoSBD, and friend.
The beer from the bottle (pictured on the beer’s page, I might add) pours a slightly hazed chestnut body capped by a tall tan head that soon dwindles to less than a finger in height. The aroma is all about fresh coffee - not bad, but I’d like smell the malts a bit. They come out in the flavor, lightly roasted, chocolatey (bittersweet), and complemented by a dab of caramel (or toffee?) and a hit of alcohol. I don’t know the ABV of this, but the burn lingers at the back of my throat. Dry coffee finish. Pretty decent... and warming.

Binny’s Beverage Depot, Orland Park, IL

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jstraw (1929) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 24, 2008
Muddy mahogany with fair tan head / Rich nose of wine, coffee, and tobacco / Medium body, chewy, moderately sweet, with good balance of big malts and hops, and with long finish / Winey flavors of coffee, oak, semisweet chocolate, and apple / Terrific.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
wheelz843 (233) - Grand Island, New York, USA - OCT 23, 2008
bottle. has a strong coffee aroma with a hint of chocolate. has a dark brown color with little head. has a bit of an old coffee taste at first but a nice dark chocolate finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 22, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2013 12oz from mibirder - thanks, Sean! My bottle doesn’t have the death metal label, alas. The pour is dark amber, with only modest carbonation that yields a faint head and only a hint of lacing. Slightly dusty cinnamon seems to mix in with the strong chocolate malts in the nose and the relatively understated coffee smells. Nice soft toffee and biscuity malts in the taste. But, much like Ithaca’s Kaffinator, this just doesn’t seem like a doppelbock. An enjoyable beer for what it is.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
WickerBrew (311) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 20, 2008
I am surprised that I actually like this. Its got a pretty strong coffee taste that is impossible to not be overwhelming. It really does taste like an iced coffee with carbonation. Its a little better then the coffee bender, and I think thats because it starts with a stronger base beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Metalhead (628) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - OCT 19, 2008
I agree with 17thfloor. WTF was the point of this? I enjoy coffee beers alot. This smelled like a cold cup of dunkin donuts coffee with some sweetness. Tasted the same with old coffee grounds tossed in the mix. Buy a single if you wanto to try but a 4 pack is not worth the time or $

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HonkeyBra (3422) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - OCT 18, 2008
Dark amber pour. Nose is all coffee and maybe a bit of dirt. Flavor has the characteristics of a dopplebock, lots of caramel and nutty flavor, though the sweetness is offset by the coffee. Good beer.

beerdetox (15) - Illinois, USA - OCT 17, 2008
Well balanced. I thought it had a full flavor and a medium coffee aroma. Not overpowering like some java based beers. Really enjoyed it overall, surprised with some of the low scores. For this type of beer I agree with others, dangerous drinkable.