overall
Brewed by De Dolle Brouwers
Style: Abbey Tripel
Diksmuide, Belgium

RATINGS: 1323   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
De Dulle Teve is brewed in the tradition of a Belgian Triple. Its high density stems from large amounts of pale malt increased with pale candi sugar in the brew kettle. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, bottle-conditioned.

De Dulle Teve keeps two to three years without major changes in taste. Further maturing, up to 10 years, will cause it to darken a little and lose some of its bitterness. The bittering of about 30 IBU is due to Goldings hops in the brew kettle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MIBRomeo (2569) - Wisconsin, USA - APR 18, 2005
thanks to Blake for this it opened as a gusher. Poured a cloudy dark amber w/ a huge fluffy white head. Smelled of sweet apricots, and brushes of cinamon & nutmeg. Good medium body smooth finish well carbonated palate. Tastes of bananna, doughy bread, apricots, with a sweet warm touch of alcohol in the finish. Overall a great belgian and my fav tripple so far.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 16, 2005
Bottle, kindly shared by Blake. Cloudy orange color with a beautiful puffy white head. Spicy, estery aroma of apricot / green apple with a caramel malt background. Once the carbonation selltles down it’s less abrasive on the tongue, and the pear skin / rye / spicy yeast can come through. Green hoppy finish. Good stuff!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
1FastSTi (3343) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - APR 16, 2005
Bottle. Aroma: cinnamon or nutmeg, bready, wheaty, banana. Appearance: murky, thick, awesome head, beautiful lacing, liquid caramel color. Flavor: spicy, dark fruits, plantain, light grains. The palate is strongly carbonated. I don’t normally like tripels, but this sucker’s tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boutip (5060) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - APR 12, 2005
Bottle: Poured a murky brown color ale with a small off-white bubbly head with average retention. Aroma is spicy with some barnyard malt. Taste is somewhat spicy (honey, cloves?) with some notes of floral malt and light funky yeast. This is not bad but was expecting a bit more character and I’m wondering if something was not wrong with this bottle, will have to re-rate that one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
legion242 (2322) - Richardson, Texas, USA - APR 11, 2005
Hazy straw color; head was THICK and would not go away- great lace. Very nice yellow fruit flavors. Alcohol is very evident. Warms up quite nicely- getting spicy. Favorite new brewery?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - APR 9, 2005
UPDATED: APR 10, 2005 750ml bottle. The bottle is several years old and the liquor store was reluctant to sell it to me because they thought it was heat damaged. I have read there were some leakage problems with these bottles and the area around the cap does look bad, it is crusty and nasty. I popped the cap (no cork) and was greeted by some carbonation. I wiped of the gunk around where the cap was and I poured a glassful into my duvel tulip. There was plenty of carbonation; in fact I got an inch or two of a pretty, white head. I had refrigerated the beer for several hours today and I let it sit and warm, unopened, for a while. The temp at pouring was a touch over 50°. Really nice aroma of honey and yeast. The taste told me that this beer was still good, in fact very good. There is an initial spicy fruitiness. It is peppery and a bit sour. There is also a honey flavor and some mild estery notes. There is a nice depth of flavor and it does seem to evolve as you drink the bottle. The alcohol is apparent, but not over the top. The beer has a very full body. I consider myself very fortunate to have found a 750ml of this and I still have half the bottle left to enjoy. ADDITION: As the beer warms, its flavor changes more and more. The beer at 59° reminds me, initially, of a Victory Hop Devil, inasmuch as it is very honey-like, but not at all cloying. I am not sure if it is the hops or the alcohol, but that was what I was thinking as I was drinking it. The spice seems to now hold off until the finish. The start is fruity malt with yeast and ester (orange and banana notes) and the finish is dry and spicy. I am starting to feel the alcohol. I wonder, since this is a live beer, if the alcohol might be higher than the 10% that is listed, I mean it is possible and other beers are that way. On another note, when I poured out the last half of the bottle, the sedimentation became obvious, in fact it poured out of the bottle at the end and I stopped pouring when I saw the color of the beer change. The taste is no different than the first half, but I do detect some more perfumy notes in the initial taste. There is still the honeyish malt, but it is complimented by a floral? and fruity taste that carries onto the finish. The commercial description is accurate, there is a taste-evolution as I drink it, in fact I don’t think it would have been as noticeable if I was drinking a regular 33cl bottle. This has been an incredibly enjoyable beer. I added a few points to my initial review. I had to pushed up the appearance, aroma, and palate up a point each and the overall a point, to 18.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jukkabro (3484) - Tampere, FINLAND - APR 5, 2005
Dark yellow color, little white head. Spicy, strongly fruity aroma, some caramel in there too and mild alcohol. Mild sourness fits well to rich aroma. Medium to full bodied. Rich flavor too:spices, fruits, ends with medium alcohol and mild sourness. Spices and caramel last in aftertaste. Good strong brew, maybe lacks some character to have rate starting by 4.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChristianSA (368) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 25, 2005
Bottle. Light copper color with huge, white puffy head dragging Belgian lace as you sip the beer. Relatively clear, but full of "floaties". Spicy aroma with hint apples. Extremely carbonated with a syrupy texture, leading to a bit malty palate with warming alcohol and long bitter finish. Sweet, but still balanced. A small masterpiece!

Steib (613) - Queen Creek, Arizona, USA - MAR 22, 2005
Has a nice bountiful head with a hazy orange color. Spicy fruity nose, very aromatic. Full bodied mouthfeel. Nice malt character, a little yeasty, still an overall enjoyable beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
schuimkroaat (427) - Leuven, BELGIUM - MAR 22, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 27, 2005 33 cl bottle, bottled on? Light amber, pretty hazy, convincing creamy head (surprisingly big and lasting for such a potent beer), vigorous pearling. Strong aroma: raisin bread, honey, slightly perfumed, a touch of sour milk about it. Strong, sweet honey-ish flavour with pleasant citric-like fruitiness, earthy hops and warming alcohol. A bit phenolic. The aftertaste is dry, malty (reminiscent of whisky) and contains some lingering hops. A fully satisfying massage for the palate with a dry finish.