overall
Brewed by De Dolle Brouwers
Style: Foreign Stout
Diksmuide, Belgium

RATINGS: 1141   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Of dark almost black chocolate color. Nose: musky, slightly sweet and spicy, Lots of chocolate , coffee and some hazelnut notes on the palate intermingling with notes of licorice. Very lively on the tongue! It finishes with a dry explosion of black espresso flavors. Special Extra Export Stout Notes: Malts: Roasted malts, chocolate malt, pale malt, caramel malt Hops: Nugget; Yeast: De Dolle Arabier yeast; Others: Dark candy sugar Alc./vol.: 9.0% Orig. Gravity: 1087 IBU: 50 EBC: 190

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 17, 2004
This beer was not as good as I thought it would be. The beer poured a dark brown almost black with a huuuuge white head. The taste was malty, with some smokiness in the flavor. Not recommended.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 16, 2004
Appearance: tawny, beefy brown, impenetrable, but for a nutty, almond-y bottom, with a big, blooming, gloriously fizzy creamy-toned head, slowly settling into a modest 1/2"...vibrant nose, yeasty, cocoa and cookie dough, slight cola tinge, nuts, and dark fruits, dates, prunes, with alcohol peeking through, and flavor comes off as very inviting, urging my my lips forward... Taste...whoa! Bam-sham-a-lam! Forward flavor, hot and heavy, big on entry, and never ending...dark fruits, heavy molasses, anise, rich, almost syrupy, long, fiery finish. Brandy, cognac, whiskey, dark rum...delicious, deep, thick, massive, magnificent... I’ve got to get the local bottle shop to carry this...or do I? I can see this becoming a difficult, expensive addiction...yum...the strength is showing, and doing what it does...time to call it a night, but what a lovely way to close it...this is something else, a Belgian Imperial Stout, or so it feels...I’ve got to stock up on these, now that I’ve tasted it’s glorious goodness, and have become an instant affirmed fan!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
donvitozou (141) - memphis, Tennessee, USA - DEC 15, 2004
wow. this was a slap in the face, a beer that commanded attention. it poured with a serious amount of head, which was as thick and tasty as the rest of the beer. the alcohol really comes through, hiding the stout characteristics initially. as it warms, the taste becomes sweeter, with very complex hints of spices...an intense beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - DEC 13, 2004
This is beautiful. Soft belgian carbonation with a dark or strong ale appearance. At first sip I wonder how this could be a stout. It tastes like other belgian strong ales- dark fruit malt with wonderful nuance. And then I get it. Deep roasted, chocolate on the nose. A wonderful alternative to American imperial stouts that competes almost equally for my interest. Impressive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 13, 2004
Poured brownish black with a definate ruby glow to it along with a thin tan head...smell is roasted malts with a touch of coffee...mouth was quite fruity with prunes and raisins...a hint of peach or apricot too...finish was more familiar, bitter coffee along with a numbing fizziness on the tongue...quite interesting...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
joeec5 (204) - bayonne, New Jersey, USA - DEC 12, 2004
Stout? ok there is some roasted malt flavor in there...but this is a highly carbonated. yeasty,make my mouth tingle..some coffee,,lots of stuff to experience here..very enjoyable..would like some more santa..thanks.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
willblake (2632) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - DEC 11, 2004
12.10.04 330ml bottle given for my birthday from a non-beergeek aunt, wooo-hoooo!! Black chocolate hued brew under a giant head of hefty bubbles. Very fruity aromas waft about the room as the head dissipates and I note pineapple and vanilla before my face even gets near the glass. Especially fruity for a stout, and yeasty as all get-out with leather and prune aromas. Absolutely knee-buckling delicious from the first sip; I shed a tear, but that might have been the tingle of eff that got me. Concorde grape, leather, tobacco, anise, vinous, dry. Not terribly stouty, but so so tasty. Complex. Very boozy, late choco hints. Oddly, I finish this brew feeling like I’m missing something. Huh. But still, Yum. Yum. Yum.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
hellomynameis (874) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - DEC 10, 2004
So dark that when I hold it to the light, no light comes through. The head was huge and rocky, it settled down into a nice even layer of thin foam. Cappucino, chocolate, and that wonderful belgian fruit dominated the aroma. The aroma was so good I swear it lingered. It tempted me to taste it, and boy was I glad I did. Lots of carbonation that makes this beer creamy in my mouth. It just barely sweet and has a very different dryness at the end. Chocolate, cherry, and a bit of coffee. There is a slight hint of alcohol at the end, the only thing I can dock points for. I’m trying very hard to find a fault in this beer, but I just can’t. I love this beer, and the brewers.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
obisbeer (565) - Barcelona, SPAIN - DEC 7, 2004
Dark as night w/thick big mocha head. Nose of cappucino, chocolate, molasses, carmel and a belgian fruitiness I attribute to the yeast. Med-Heavey weight with light sweetness and drying finish. Chocolate, cherry, vanilla, coffee, and slight bitterness mixed with raisen quality. WOW, well balanced, soft and carressing. Awesome beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
heykevin (1273) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - DEC 2, 2004
Very dark, with a voluminous head. Earthy yeasty aroma, hint of dark sweet malt. Bags of dark sweet malts, without a trace of astringency. Full bodied. Rather sweet, but touch of acid in the finish cuts it just about right. Sweetness comes out in the aroma, as does some nice plummy notes. For my money this blows Hercule right out of the water.