overall
Brewed by De Dolle Brouwers
Style: Sour Red/Brown
Diksmuide, Belgium
Serve in Snifter, Tulip, Tumbler

RATINGS: 1010   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.04   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
Matured in Bordeaux casks.
2002 bottles: 12% ABV.
2004 through 2010 bottles: 13% ABV.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BMMillsy (1153) - Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2014
Bottle from Tipples here in Gainesville. Date says bottled in September 2013, poured on Jan. 18, 2014. Pours a dark red color, pretty opaque, with a big fluffy off white head that looks creamy and has just a hint of red hue to it. Sour cherry and vinegar aroma, oak presence and even a bit of vanilla. Very nice. Flavor is a big punch of sourness that is a combo between tart cherries and big rich black cherries, vanilla, a punch of very drying oak. Definite vinous notes that gives this a nice warming richness down the throat. Lingering cherries and oak on the palate which starts out big and rich and ends with the lingering dry oak and acidic tartness. This is a really nice treat that I would certainly drink again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Iphonephan (2697) - McLean, Virginia, USA - JAN 8, 2014
From a 2012 bottle. Pours a hazy reddish brown with an ecru head. Spicy tart apple nose. Flavors of funky apple cider with a crisp champagne-like mouthfeel. Crisp, tart finish.

Advocate_Ames (391) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 5, 2014
2008 bottle. Pours dark mahogany in color with an off white, sticky, and a thick head. The aroma is of figs, mild tart cherries, light vinegar, wood, weak carmelized grain. In the flavor all the ingredients blended very well. There was a hint of nicely hidden booze, sweetness, malts, and a pleasant cherry tart finish. Overall a very drinkable beverage and worth a taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Prufrockstar (693) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 1, 2014
My 500th recorded rating for New Year’s Eve, making this my last beer of 2013 and the first of 2014. Feel like I made a good choice with this one.

330 ml bottle, 2006 vintage. Appearance: Beautiful, clear dark mahogany brown with slight red hue. Light brown head that flourishes before dissipating to a ring. Aroma: Sweet, cherries; plums, figs; some vinegar, oak. Almost don’t even want to drink this, it smells delicious. Taste: Despite the sweetness to the nose, the taste is restrained. Mildly sweet up front, balanced by a pleasant tartness that follows, finishing dry. Some oxidation, musty basement, and maybe even a bit of cheese in there, but in a nice way -- this is 7 (now 8?) years young. Alcohol well-masked in taste -- it’s only after several sips that my body registers how big this is. I want to say something about it being tannic, but I still don’t know how to use that descriptor right -- if I did, I expect I could collapse a few of the above sentences into a single word. Vinous and woody, with cherries galore. Rather nice. Palate: Full body, slick, mouth-coating texture, soft, fine-bubbled carbonation. Overall: One of these days I’ll track down a fresh bottle and give it a whirl. This is a delight, and I’m glad I chose it for tonight.

I first started rating beers here because I wanted to better appreciate what I was drinking. I figured the best way to do that would be to concentrate, follow some guidelines, and be forced to write things down. In the last year, I think I’ve at times rated more out of habit, or scorekeeping (#40 on the list of users from WA -- yeah!). I get lazy about it, jot down a few words, and sometimes feel like I’m stagnating (desipte the growing number of ticks) instead of growing. I’d like to return to my original approach in the coming year, rating fewer beers but being more thoughtful about those I do rate. I wonder how long this particular "resolution" is going to last? At any rate, glad to be part of the RB community, and look forward to drinking with you folks in 2014.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
daje (1929) - NORWAY - DEC 28, 2013
2006 bottle bought at Ølbutikken 2013, shared with esp0r, simonsen & edvard september 28th 2013. Dark brown body, big beige head. Aroma of red wine, caramel, bread, fruity hops. Taste is sweet caramel with a sour hint, red berries, caramel, orangey hops, light alcohol. Pleasant warm aftertaste, with a fruity slight acidic finish. A very nice beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Experiment_Ale (656) - Dallas, Texas, USA - DEC 22, 2013
UPDATED: DEC 27, 2013 At torst with my parents. Pours maroon. Aroma is acidic sour with some Belgium yeast notes. Taste is Belgium yeast, hard oud bruin sour notes. So barrell. It’s alright but a little heavy on the belgi yeast notes for me. Update: at 124 rabbit club with Taylor. I’m not getting Belgium fruity yeast this time. Very nice sour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lukaduke (1756) - Portland, Maine, USA - DEC 21, 2013
Pours a rusty brown color with three fingers of gaseous eggshell foam. The nose is a bit restrained but full of intriguing complexity ! Vinous barrel funk, tart cherry, composted fruit, touch of caramel. The palate is bright and funky with tons of vinous funky tart fruit, lots of bordeaux influence, great rustic earthiness as well. Alcohol is very well hidden... Damn fine beer full of a flavor ! Very unique.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Maarten1993 (200) - - NOV 30, 2013
Drank a 2009 bottle @ Kulminator. Appearance is great, nice and dark with some foam. The smell is very sour, not my thing. The taste is complex and balanced. Sourness embedded in a nice amount of carbonation. Hints of wine. Alcohol is well hidden. a bit too sour for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Staffan47 (809) - Uppsala, SWEDEN - NOV 26, 2013
Köpt på ren chansning. Flaska från 2010. Stor smakbild med sötma och syra i bra balans. 13% alkohol känns inte. Kan anas möjligen men inte så det stör. Härlig kropp

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Renobob (453) - Besançon, FRANCE - NOV 21, 2013
2010. Un côté vineux marqué juste comme il faut. Amertume bien présente. Et surtout le plaisir d'avoir un de ces trésors en main.