overall

RATINGS: 126   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our year round ode to the Pacific Northwest hop. At DEBC, we like hops, but we like American hops most of all. Here we use some of our absolute favorites. However, they might not be used like you may expect, by using varieties with high alpha acid contents (which means more potential for bitterness) and using them in ways to emphasize the flavor and aroma we can render a rather bitter ale with over the top tropical fruit, citrus, pine, floral, and more hop derived aroma and flavor. Style: American-style India Pale Ale Hops: Citra, Amarillo, Chinook, Palisade, and Summit Malts: Pale Ale, Vienna, Honey, and White Wheat Yeast: English Ale

moonbug's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
moonbug (66) - Bryan, - APR 17, 2013
Deep amber ipa with a smell reminiscent of a hop draped pineapple in the piney woods. Very bitter yet sweet taste that lingers...The aroma overpowers the taste. Overall though this is a good ipa. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Sammy (8359) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 24, 2014
Lovely balance of hop aroma and hop taste. grapefruit rind, some lemon, a well crafted hop bite.Lacy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jesterdeal (1789) - Marlton, New Jersey, USA - MAY 23, 2014
Fresh can froma generous Texan. Aroma of papaya, grapefruit zest, and mango. Pours deep orange with a gigantic khaki head. Had to pour in two shifts. Taste is juicy papaya, orange rind, grapefruit, apricot, and a malt finish. Not very bitter at all but certainly extremely pleasant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
artmcd8 (1498) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 22, 2014
Fresh can thanks to fiveacestx. Pours a clear deep amber orange with an off white head. Aroma of alcohol, caramel, grass, tangerine. Taste is on the bitter side. Really good but maybe slightly behind on the latest hoppy trends.

Modularman (101) - - MAY 17, 2014
Can, smell of sweet fruit, appearance is cloudy gold with off white head, taste is sweet malt that finishes slight bitter and a little bland.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ben4321 (3765) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - MAY 17, 2014
Location: 12 oz can from Spec’s Downtown, 5/17/14

Aroma: The nose has fruity hops mostly, with some pine notes, and a bit of caramel
Appearance: Pours an unclear orange color with a thick froth of beige head, and medium lace
Flavor: Taste-wise, it is pretty balanced, some caramel/fruity sweetness, and a decent bitterness
Palate: The body is medium, leaning light, with a soft carbonation, and a smooth finish
Overall Impression: This is the first thing I have tried from Deep Ellum, and it is a plenty solid IPA. This is a very balanced beer, with a pretty nice mouthfeel. It drinks quite nicely as well. I wonder how fresh this can was, because it tastes just a little "aged" to me. Would like to try again with a fresh draft/can.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
rxeight (1192) - Illinois, USA - MAY 17, 2014
5/7/14, I assume that is canned in date so pretty fresh. Dirty yellow color. Hoppy and bitter. More on the grassy herbal side of the hops. Touch if grapefruit. Says they use citra, don’t get much of that from this. Decent stuff.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
jerseyjohn71 (164) - corsicana, Texas, USA - MAY 15, 2014
UPDATED: MAY 31, 2014 the ipa I tried is an [ oatmeal ] pale ale,, citrus, spruce, spruce, spruce, resin, resin, citrus, alcohol, bitter, bitter, amber, clear, white foam, very bitter, lightly sour, full body, fizzy, bitter, long finish, [pine-tree-in-a-glass]

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
drsandman (189) - New York, USA - MAY 13, 2014
Aroma is pine, grass, slightly off colour grapefruit. Taste is sweet then bitter, sour fruits, caramel malt, grass, pine, slightly metallic. Average carbo/mouthfeel

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TXBadger (1222) - Dallas, Texas, USA - APR 28, 2014
Pours a nice amber color with slightly off white head. Citrus, tropical fruit, pine, grass, and floral notes on this one; all follow onto the palate. I’ve had a number of these, and I think that they have finally got the consistency issue resolved with this. A solid IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gururyan (578) - Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA - APR 24, 2014
Pours a dark urine with a lively head, and I mean that in a good way. I would paint my walls this color. The aroma is so aromatic, I think my wife would actually be fine with me smelling "like a brewery." Very citrus/grapefruit taste but I hate saying that because I hate grapefruit…which you can blame on the late 70’s/early 80’s grapefruit diet fad. Anyway, I say it in a GOOD way…smells and tastes super fresh. I really like this, and disappointed that I missed the release of their IIPA, Dream Crusher, by 2 days. I did get a coozie at least! Anyway, this is a good beer. I am adding it to my list of "must get" when in the neighboring state of Texas (along with St. Arnold).