overall
Brewed by Brouwerij Huyghe
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Melle, Belgium

RATINGS: 1897   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Colour and sight: Dark brown-red. A compact white-yellow, stable and lacing head. Scent: Touches of caramel, mocha and chocolate. Spices such as liquorice and coriander are also present. Flavour: Initially, a very good mouthfeel of alcohol and softness. This is followed by an increasing bitterness, partially from the hop, but also from the roasted malt and chocolate malt. Towards the end a nice balance between bitterness, sour and sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
jake65 (3413) - Meridian, Idaho, USA - JAN 19, 2007
Bottle: Light/medium brown color, slightly bubbly, off-white head is small, but thick and foamy. Nose is mostly yeast and fruits, some sweet malt. Creamier than expected, even though it was carbonated to a lively point. Fruity, yeast, wine, and some bitters in the tail. Alcohol was present, but not to intense.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DruncanVeasey (8012) - NUNEATON, Warwickshire, ENGLAND - JAN 16, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2007 Murky ruby, ridiculously rocky suds. A bit bath-time following Kapittel Priorís silky-headed creaminess. Sticky, roasty liquorice nose. The sister beerís raspberry-gooseberry fruitiness, followed by a pleasing hit of bitterness. Some biscuity afters unusual in a beer of this %. Sweet yet herbally dry and spicy. Sours as it warms. Obviously quite heavily liquoriced. A much more refined and subtly tasty brew than a pink cartoon elephant might have you believe. But a poor manís Kapittel Prior.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
verdelak (2) - USA - JAN 15, 2007 does not count
Bottled. One of my all time favorites. If you like Belgians, this is a must try. Just a notch below Delirium Tremons.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Harsebrau (227) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - JAN 13, 2007
A decent Begian Stong. Floral and spicy aroma with a tan head. There is an abundance of carbonation in this beer and that helps account for the pin pricks it produces on the tongue and roof of the mouth. Some caramel. Some allspice. Some citris and some berries. This was a gift from HZ.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
BeerCommonSewr (67) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 6, 2007
1 pt. 9.4 oz bottle I see that my rating for this beer is skewed from the rest being given to it. Let me start by saying that this was a nice package with a ceramic looking bottle and cork. Normally something I would even give a point or two. However it was clear that this particular did not ship well as the cork was only maybe half an inch into the bottle and it appeared as if some leakage had occurred. After opening the bottle and pouring it was also clear some type of mold or fungus had begun to grow along the rim of the bottle and I had to fish a large chunk of it out of the glass. Given all this I am not one to give up on a bottle that I paid decent money for. There was practically no head and the beer was somewhat flat further proving to me that some leakage had taken place. The only real flavor I can say came through is malt, malt, and more malt finishing with a dusty dry taste. The one saving grace for this brew was that once I was done I gotten a nice little buzz. Of course that may have been from the fungus or mold but a buzz is a buzz nonethless. Maybe some day I can give this beer another shot but I will wait for a fresh shipment and a close inspection of the bottle to see if it is worth my time. I must say that I find this beers scores odd as I read other reviews as it does not seem as many people liked it very much. Why the somewhat high rating then is a mystery to me. Peobably the beer snobs giving it a higher rating than it deserves because it comes from Belgium.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 15/20
GarrettB (1433) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 5, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 14, 2007 I remember an Old Looney Tunes cartoon that dealt with the pink elephant phenomenon. If I recall correctly a trio of pink elephants appears before a drunkard and lead him on all kinds of hijinx and merriment, usually ending violently. Finally at the end the souse checks in with a psychologist who doubts his hallucinatory jabbering until the elephants pull a prank on him too. I thought the message was very adult considering it was meant for a child audience: alcohol will almost kill you, repeatedly, but remember, youíre invincible as long as youíre under the influence. Also, being sober is no escape from induced elephant tricksters. They will find you in your sleep. Of course that wasnít the message I took away as a kid, it was all in good fun. But I had neither seen nor heard reference to the charming zoological symptom until I caught a glance of the Delirium Nocturnum. With a little more wisdom under my belt (and a fair bit of girth) I can take the pink elephant for what it means. And that is innocent, outrť and moderately effective drinking. Iíve had my eye on the Nocturnum for awhile now; partly attributable to its eye-catching white bottle, and partly that itís at almost every liquor store outside the slums. It was nice, then to finally sit down with something I had been desiring for a year but had somehow avoided by other purchases. The body is lucidly clear, and red like cranberries with a bit of shine for polish. The head is very, how shall we say, technical. While I let the beer garner a bit of heat the head formed an octopus shape in a strange tribute to cephalopods. The smell is minimal, pruned down to a duet of oak and dust, with lesser bits of coffee and cream. The flavor recompenses with a batch of as of yet unnoticed tastes. The first thing I picked up on the radar was soft serve vanilla ice cream. Next was cookie dough. Next was weak bodied but odiferous cheese. Next was alcohol. And there it ends, although near room temperature some licorice peeks its head out. Each stage was a new puzzle in a trial of perception, and I think I failed each one. Hereís the rub Ė as lovely as all these flavors seem, they donít really fit into each other like a lock and key. Itís more like shoving a grand piano through a dog door. The head-splitting cacophony of broken strings and snapping ivory, and a very irate dog aptly describes the Delirium Nocturnum. Each agent in this ludicrous analogy would be fine by itself. One, a melodic essential in musical history and composition, the other a trademark sound familiar to American suburbia both invoke comfort. Together itís unbridled chaos. Also, itís a very dry beer, and I donít usually care for my ice cream and cookie dough with a shot of vermouth. Still, itís a simulative experience, but one Iíd not soon repeat. Credit for creativity, even if unintentional, but not something Iíll cherish for years to come. Except the pink elephant. Thereís no metaphor that excuses drunkenness like pink elephants.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
teabags14 (1) - Indiana, USA - DEC 30, 2006 does not count
I donít think I can say it much better than Kepano said below. This ale seems to be trying too hard in the flavoring, while in reality there is not much below the surface in terms of the depth of its complexity, perhaps hidden because of what seems to be over-carbonation. Donít get me wrong, I did enjoy this beer and would not it turn it down, but for my money there are much better options in this catagory.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kepano (260) - Los Angeles, California, USA - DEC 28, 2006
Chic aubergine in color but speckled with unattractive flakes of yeast and topped in a common cream foam. The nose is light and sweet but carries a distinct depth emphasized by hints of coffee and cream underlaying the fruity-spicy combination of grape juice, cassis and cherry with hazelnut, anise and allspice. The flavor is disappointingly shallow, showing a bland mixture of coffee, cream, licorice and pepper all tied together in a heavy wooden box. I remember fruit (particularly blackcurrant) making a more distinct appearance on the tongue in the few sips I stole from a friend long ago. The palate seems slightly off-balance with a fizzy carbonation and a hint of smoked salmon lingering after the swallow. A neat little beer, but perhaps better fresh.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
danimal34 (41) - Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan, USA - DEC 22, 2006
This is a very good beer, top 10 in my book. Earthy & hoppy smell, although a bit faint. Large but diminshing head. Flavor is woody carmel with hints of berries. Very complex flavor with prominant yeast and hops. But, the flavor is ripped away too quickly due to the apparent added carbonation (also screws up the head). Nonetheless...YUM!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
FrankJohansen (3616) - Sabro, DENMARK - DEC 22, 2006
Bottled. Amber colour with a huge mostly lasting beige creamy head. Rich aroma and taste of malts, fruits, chocolate with some bitterness. Good beer, even better palate.