overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Melle, Belgium

RATINGS: 3157   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle Conditioned.
Launched on December 26th 1989 @ 9% abv. Abv reduced from 9% to 8.5% in 2003.
The particular character and the unique taste of "Delirium Tremens" result from the use of three different kinds of yeast. Its very original packing, which resembles cologne ceramics, and the colourful label contribute to its success.
In 1997, Stuart A. Kallen nominated Delirium Tremens as "best beer in the world". A gold medal during the "world beer championships" in Chicago (1998) confirmed that worldwide recognition.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
OldBoss (27) - Tuttle, Oklahoma, USA - FEB 10, 2007
The small 11.2 oz bottle pours a hazy golden with a nice looking,fluffy white head that dissipates quickly, leaving lacing rings around my glass. I can smell some citrus fruits (lemon and orange), light spices, and a hint of earthy ’yeast’ with some fusel alcohol present. I can taste some spices, with a bit of lemon, and a hint of some bitterness. Slightly sweet from the malt with some alcohol warmth. A pretty good amount of carbonation. Overall, I like this beer and will try it again as soon as I pony up the $7+ for another bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BustedFlat (554) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - FEB 6, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2007 Poured from a 750ml corked bottle into a brandy snifter. Golden and cloudy in appearance with a thick white head. Light aroma, typical of a Belgian beer. The taste starts sweet with notes of yeast and citrus and the finish is a bit peppery. I liked the the initial sweetness, but the peppery finish was not for me. RERATE: This was the first beer I rated and I believe I rated it too low. On the second tasting it was dry and spicy and had a hint of orange peel and a touch of citrus with a slightly bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
brian1985 (14) - Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 3, 2007
Serving Type: 11.2 oz bottle into glass Appearance: Pours a hazy light yellow with a nice looking 1.5 finger white head that dissipates quickly, leaving slight lacing around the edge of my glass. Smell: Sweet fruits (lemon and orange), light spices, a little bit of that ’belgian yeast’ aroma. Alcohol is also present. Taste: Spices, lemon, surprisingly some bitterness. Not as much malty sweetness as I expected, and slightly more hop presence than I was anticipating. Alcohol warming as this goes down. Mouthfeel: Light to medium with a decent amount of carbonation. Drinkability: Overall, a very nice selection. One of these is more than enough for me in a sitting, though. Not sure if I would buy this again, as I prefer a good Belgian Dark, but still a very solid beer by all means.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Crafty07 (404) - Florence, Kentucky, USA - FEB 2, 2007
This is a delicious Belgian ale that is dangerously easy to drink. The only real drawback is its outrageous price tag. Yeah, the bottle is cool, but I aint drinking the bottle. Still, if you’re out and they have it and you’re only drinking one that night, it’s a good choice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jcr (2517) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - JAN 31, 2007
Draft. Lots of malts and spice and yeast in this beer. But the mix doesn’t impress me near as much as many other Belgian strong ales. In fact, the spices and yeast seem almost plasticy atop the very sweet malt backbone. Nice white head and aromas of coriander and citrus. Full body and borderline syrupy mouthfeel. Flavor is very sweet and lightly bitter. Dry finish with a peppery alcohol bite.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
burpfrank (299) - carpinteria, California, USA - JAN 30, 2007
First of all I have to say I have a cold and my taste and smell are kinda wacked right now.Anyway,It appears to be a VEY active beer.I underestimated the head and it overflowed very much.Lots of bubbles,like champagne.Head was light and fluffy and very large.Once it dissipated it showed a nice,golden colored beer.I was kind of wondering if the high bubble content was because it was hyped up with co2.I think it is from the brewing.It tasted like a good golden beer,which I usually don’t like at all.I like this one.I don’t think it is the "best beer in the world"as stated by Stuart A Kallen in 1997,as stated in the comercial description,but is it pretty good.Has a slight bitter taste.Maybe some corriander in the brewing.This would make a good summer beer,or one to share with the friends that are used to the cheap commercial light beers,as this will open there eyes and taste buds. Besides,it has a pretty bottle!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
VikingHammer (506) - Lynnfield, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 28, 2007
Pours a blonde murky color with a white head. Aroma of wheat. Tastes orange and coriander. Noce full finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
robinvboyer (3955) - Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 26, 2007
nice golden color. huge white head, aroma of fruit, and some yeast. very refreshing, nice summer beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DeuceDeuceOU (51) - Athens/Cleveland, Ohio, USA - JAN 26, 2007
Points for the bottle, very unique. Pours a very golden color with plenty of sediments in the bottom of my tulip. The head is almost bleach white and very fluffy. Slightly citrussy at first with plenty of yeast accents. Finishes a little bitter with some more yeast. Very refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
marchcow (664) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - JAN 23, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 12, 2007 Strong citrus and grapefruit aroma, with malty sweetness. Color is pale golden yellow, semi opaque, with bubbly white head. Initial flavor is sweet with a bitter dry finish. Slight cheesy accent, with lemony sourness. Well carbonated with a rich fizzy mouthfeel. Good. Had on tap at Bryant Lake Bowl in Minneapolis. On tap I noticed an intense gumball flavor. The beer was fairly flat but was overwhelmed by gumball.