overall
Style: Belgian Strong Ale
Melle, Belgium

RATINGS: 3223   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Bottle Conditioned.
Launched on December 26th 1989 @ 9% abv. Abv reduced from 9% to 8.5% in 2003.
The particular character and the unique taste of "Delirium Tremens" result from the use of three different kinds of yeast. Its very original packing, which resembles cologne ceramics, and the colourful label contribute to its success.
In 1997, Stuart A. Kallen nominated Delirium Tremens as "best beer in the world". A gold medal during the "world beer championships" in Chicago (1998) confirmed that worldwide recognition.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GaltScat (195) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 18, 2007
25-ounce bottle dated 03/2006. Yellow with white head. Aroma of sweet yeasts, hops, fruit (apples and peaches?). Flavor was similar. Sweet and dry the yeasts are enjoyable. The palate is tingly from the alcohol and carbonation. The finish is crisp and bitter from the hops. There is a nice warming on the way down. Overall a very good Belgian Strong Ale, something that could be enjoyed frequently.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
benclarkiii (73) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - FEB 17, 2007
Went to a new bar today that had about 30 Belgians. This was my first of three and I did like its overall lightness, subtle fruitiness, and especially its appearance. I reminded me a bit of a Heff. Overall a good choice for a starter.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
lagomswedish (213) - Umeå, SWEDEN - FEB 15, 2007
Bottle @ Bishops Arms. Pours a clear cognac colour with short-lived white head. Smells of bitter almonds, lots of cloves, sea spray and white grape - reminded me a lot of a toned down Duvel. Unlike Duvel this has a much drier character, which I really liked.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dmac (5479) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - FEB 14, 2007
Poured a clear orangey gold color with a huge foamy white head and excellent lacing. Aroma was yeasty and fruity with a strong smell of apples, so strong it reminded me of an apple cider in fact. The palate was very lively with noticeable carbonation, what I tend to find in most of the Belgiums that I have tried. Flavor was very pleasant with a slightly bitter finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
beisen (90) - California, USA - FEB 12, 2007
Pours a cloudy gold, with a tall foamy head. Nice malty flavor with a smooth mouthfeel. A little bitter on the finish. Kind of a cool bottle, and the cork hit the ceiling when I opened it. Still, pricey for what it is. I don’t think I’ll get this one very often.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
SJM620 (11) - Tennessee, USA - FEB 10, 2007
I was genuinely surprised by this beer. I was not sure what to expect. It was quite pleasant though. The bottle is what caught my eye, definately a unique bottle. I tryly did enjoy this beer, even though I do not usually drink Belgian Beer. This one made me rethink that position.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
OldBoss (27) - Tuttle, Oklahoma, USA - FEB 10, 2007
The small 11.2 oz bottle pours a hazy golden with a nice looking,fluffy white head that dissipates quickly, leaving lacing rings around my glass. I can smell some citrus fruits (lemon and orange), light spices, and a hint of earthy ’yeast’ with some fusel alcohol present. I can taste some spices, with a bit of lemon, and a hint of some bitterness. Slightly sweet from the malt with some alcohol warmth. A pretty good amount of carbonation. Overall, I like this beer and will try it again as soon as I pony up the $7+ for another bottle.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BustedFlat (554) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - FEB 6, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2007 Poured from a 750ml corked bottle into a brandy snifter. Golden and cloudy in appearance with a thick white head. Light aroma, typical of a Belgian beer. The taste starts sweet with notes of yeast and citrus and the finish is a bit peppery. I liked the the initial sweetness, but the peppery finish was not for me. RERATE: This was the first beer I rated and I believe I rated it too low. On the second tasting it was dry and spicy and had a hint of orange peel and a touch of citrus with a slightly bitter finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
brian1985 (14) - Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 3, 2007
Serving Type: 11.2 oz bottle into glass Appearance: Pours a hazy light yellow with a nice looking 1.5 finger white head that dissipates quickly, leaving slight lacing around the edge of my glass. Smell: Sweet fruits (lemon and orange), light spices, a little bit of that ’belgian yeast’ aroma. Alcohol is also present. Taste: Spices, lemon, surprisingly some bitterness. Not as much malty sweetness as I expected, and slightly more hop presence than I was anticipating. Alcohol warming as this goes down. Mouthfeel: Light to medium with a decent amount of carbonation. Drinkability: Overall, a very nice selection. One of these is more than enough for me in a sitting, though. Not sure if I would buy this again, as I prefer a good Belgian Dark, but still a very solid beer by all means.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Crafty07 (404) - Florence, Kentucky, USA - FEB 2, 2007
This is a delicious Belgian ale that is dangerously easy to drink. The only real drawback is its outrageous price tag. Yeah, the bottle is cool, but I aint drinking the bottle. Still, if you’re out and they have it and you’re only drinking one that night, it’s a good choice.